How to start exercising - every other day

Options
Hi! So I need to start exercising but I'm very unfit and never exercise. So would it be sensible to start doing my workout dvd every other day? Or should I do it every day? I want to be sensible about this and not cause myself any harm/injury xx

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Starting with every other day is a great idea.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have trouble motivating after a day of not working out. I say do it daily at a lower intensity, but that is just what has worked out well for me. I have serious trouble getting back to the gym on Monday and that's just after my weekly day off.
  • minaeve25
    minaeve25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You have to not give yourself the choice to do it or not do it. Say you are going to do it and do it no excuses.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, my goal was to get 20 minutes of exercise every other day. Over time, I increased my time working out and the number of days I would work out. I think if you start small and build up you are more likely to stick with it than if you start trying to do a full dvd every day without any rest days and avoid burnout.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy *kitten*, put down heavy *kitten*

Put on Socks and shoes and run till you cant run anymore

Repeat
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    When I first started out, my goal was to get 20 minutes of exercise every other day. Over time, I increased my time working out and the number of days I would work out. I think if you start small and build up you are more likely to stick with it than if you start trying to do a full dvd every day without any rest days and avoid burnout.

Thanks Debbie, that makes sense!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »

This was my experience too. I'd had patterns in the past where I'd gone really intense/long from the beginning and then just dreaded it or felt like I had no time on multiple days. So this time (when I was really out of shape too) started by just saying I was going to try and increase my walking in a normal day, and otherwise work in 3-4 days a week of 30 mins on the stationary bike or walking on the treadmill or swimming. I mostly did the bike, and started at pretty low intensity, but found I could move up levels and time reasonably quickly.

The hardest thing for me early on was just sticking to my schedule and making it routine, and I recall being surprised when I realized that that part had gotten easy and habitual, such that when I had to miss lots of days because I was freaking out over a work project I really missed it and had no question I'd be back at it as soon as the bad work week was over.

As my fitness increased everything got to be more fun and I did start doing much more intense things (the period I am talking about was last February, and I ran a half marathon in late August), but focusing just on working in regular activity and not being too demanding at first I think was one of the best decisions I made.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not just take each day, do as much as you can and see how you feel?
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great that you are pushing to get healthier! YAY YOU.

Personally, when I have had periods off of exercise, I take my time getting back in. Too much too fast and you can injure yourself and that really can feel like a big set-back.

You will need to find what you like and works for you. I'm not sure of what DVD you are looking at - You may find that a full-on full-length DVD may be too much too soon. (e.g. many people end up hurt trying to do P90X full-on from a standstill start) You might consider starting with 20 minutes at a time, then add time as you progress. I encourage you to set a schedule to work up to your full workout and not pound out every day starting on day one.

You can do this!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walk more

Workout when you can...I started twice a week with a PT, now I'm much fitter I do 3 times a week workouts, once with a PT and walk the other days

You don't need to go all at it...it's not a race

Weight it lost in the kitchen, the fitness groove gets into your head and makes it all easier
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think it's great, but, if you have never exercised, it might be a good idea to check with your doctor, depending on your age and physical condition.
  • CX24
    CX24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why not just take each day, do as much as you can and see how you feel?
    If I exercise when is feel like it I probably wouldn't work out. I have to motivate myself by making commitments to meet friends.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just started walking. Walking at breaks, parking on the opposite side of the parking lot. Walking was my exercise tool that got me 40lbs lighter.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Well done on making a plan to start exercising. Which DVD do you want to do? If it's high impact then do alternate days to start with. Maybe try walking on the days in between. Leslie Sansone has some great walking programmes on YouTube that you can do at home in a small space. Or, obviously, walk outside if you can. Let us know how you get on.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    One video that is good for beginners is Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds. There is one that you can do 1, 2, or 3 mile walks and there is a new one with hip music I want to try sometime. Also good for people who live in colder climates to do a good walk routine when it's too bad of weather to go outside.