Is bike riding a great exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike (turbo trainer, a clamp with magnetic resistance for your regular bike) on days where I want to give my running legs a rest, and where I can't go cycling outside.

It can be great for expending energy and getting the heart rate up, but:

a) it really takes a lot of discipline to do it, and
    b) if you watch a movie, you still have to try and stay focused on keeping the intensity up, so it isn't quite the same experience as just watching a movie while getting a workout for free.

Still, I'd say go for it - and if you can, try cycling outside as well.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than sitting on the couch.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I started on a recumbent trike late last summer and now I'm up to 20 mile rides. It is fun, we go our tours and ride the rails to trails. I don't like riding stationary (but now that it's winter I don't have a lot of choices) but outside it doesn't feel like exercising (unless it's a hilly course and recumbents are very difficult on hills!)

I think the main thing is to find something to really enjoy so you will continue to do it. It's better than sitting!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wanted to try out one of these. Saw a lady riding one the other day on the bike trail, and it looked like a lot of fun. It's a moving elliptical that you can use outside. Still curious how hard they are to maneuver, but she made it look easy. ndh89wzh62re.jpg

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It never gets easier , you just go faster
    Greg Lemond
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    It never gets easier , you just go faster
    Greg Lemond

I went for a leisurely bike ride yesterday and I think the great thing about cycling is that the fitter I get the harder and longer the ride becomes. It happens naturally for me.

For accountability I use a HRM so I can make sure I'm working harder than when I take the dogs for a walk.
  • ExNihil0
    Options
    Best shape of my life was when I was cycling. But get out on the road. It's freeing.