Breastfeeding

Options
Hi,
I'm currently breastfeeding and trying to lose weight at the same time! I'm not sure how many calories I should be consuming?

Replies

• MaryJI2015
    MaryJI2015 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old and I'm consuming 2,000 your not supposed to go under 1,800 or it can affect supply
    Free dieting.com has a breastfeeding caloric intake calculator where you put in all your information and it tells you how,many calories you should be eating to lose weight
  • RachelleNicoleW
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • MaryJI2015
    Options
    Your welcome :)
  • kellinna
    kellinna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm exclusively breastfeeding my almost 6 month old, but I'm afraid I won't lose weight if I eat 1800 a day. I was aiming for 1600.
  • MaryJI2015
    Options
    I've been eating 2,000 everyday and in 3 weeks I've lost 11lbs eating under 1800 can cause a decrease in supply I'm not willing to risk my baby's food supply and by the looks of it I don't have to!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The minimum recommended to exclusively breastfeeding moms is 1800 calories.

Basically, if you're following MFP's recommendation (based off a reasonable/moderate goal), you add 500 calories. So if MFP tells you that you lose 1 lb/week on 1500 calories, set it to 2000 calories, and if you exercise, add in at least a portion of those exercise calories.

It may seem like alot of calories, but remember that those calories are going to your own body, your baby's milk, and workout recovery/fueling.