IIFYM not fitting....

Options
At the beginning of January, I purchased a flexible dieting/IIFYM macro nutrient profile from a professional. Due to my budget constraints, it does not include any coaching, but the concept seemed simple enough for me to figure out on my own.

So far I have only come close to hitting both my macros and my calorie intake requirements maybe 1-2x in the 10 official days since starting.

My breakdown, according to my results & activity level, should look like this:

((Goal = lean out))
Weight training/workout frequency: 5x per week
Cals = 1501
Protein = 150g
Fats = 42g
Carbohydrate = 130g

What actually happens (most days):
Cals = 1383
Protein = 109g
Fats = 52g
Carbohydrate = 128g

While I'm not too far off, I am concerned about hitting adequate calories per my work load.
I lift heavy, working each muscle group twice per week and aim to make those calories nutrient-dense (not just straight junk).

On this plan so far, I am HUNGRY and depressed. Feels about how I did when I starved myself (former ED sufferer). I can usually manage to hit my macros, but I end up going over on fats (+/-) about 10g each day and I am under my calorie intake by a couple hundred. I have read there are several different reasons this isn't reading correctly (inaccurate logging of portions on my part, user errors in mfp's data base, etc.)

One caveat: since starting this plan, I immediately purchased a supplemental protein powder called Sun Warrior and am drinking this twice a day to bump that lousy 109g of protein up to 149g. This has also brought my calories back up to around 1500 but that's with replacing breakfast w/the protein shake - yes, losing an entire meal for a protein shake.

Thoughts? Is this just par for the course while leaning out for the next few weeks? Is this healthy?
I have successfully lost 1.5% body fat and 2lbs since starting 10 days ago...but this seems awfully fast and I don't want to catabolize the muscle I've spent the winter earning!!

Thanks in advance~~~~!!!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The numbers for your macros are minimums and then you fill in with whatever ou want. So once you have met your carb/protein/fat/ minimums then you can fill in with what you want..

so in your "what actually happens example" since you ave hit your protein and fat minimums, you should fill in the extra 120 calories with carbs…

what are your stats…heigh/weight/age/gender?
    what is your lifting routine like?
    is your gaol primarily fat loss?

why did you pay for IIFYM plan, when you can get it for free???
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    So it looks like you're still not meeting protein, even with the shake. Eat real food (meat), it will keep you sated longer.
    I agree with ndj, you can get this free.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It takes more then 25 days to learn a whole new lifestyle. Cut yourself some slack. You sound like you have a solid grasp on what you are doing. now you just need to fine tune your execution as you develop your new habits. Keep working on your food selection until you get it dialed In to your needs. Nobody nails it right off the bat or everyday. One tip comes to mind that worked for me, Try pre logging a days meals. That way you can tweek the contents to fine tune your macros. Get it just right on paper then go eat it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    whoops..I had that backwards…she is hitting fat and carb minimums but not protein ..so she needs to eat about 120 cals of protein which would help with hunger issues...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i missed the part about shakes…

if you are drinking breakfast that might explain wy you are so hungry. Everyone once in a while i have a protein shake for lunch, when in a bind, and two hours later I am starving..

I would suggest going with some eggs, egg whites, and toast/english muffin for breakfast as opposed to the shake…

and my diary is open if you want to browse it…

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Also, Don't get sucked into fretting over a few grams plus or minus your goal. Nobody is that accurate ( at least outside of a laboratory )
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Another source of protein that might be more filling/satiating than just drinking a shake is greek yogurt. The Fage plain cups with a little honey or some fruit are quick and easy.

Overall, I'd say that 1500 calories is pretty low since it sounds like you have very little weight to lose. But without additional information it's hard to gauge whether or not that's an appropriate calorie goal for you.
  • billyfleet1988
    Options
    I also take protein shakes but I know when I take them that they are only for short term hunger suppression. For this reason they are either a last resort or to boost protein intake. Some major sources of protein for me include omlettes (with 1 cup of egg whites), Greek yogurt, chicken breast, lean ground chicken and occasionally extra lean ground beef.

As stated above, don't worry too much about absolutely nailing your macros, you'll drive yourself crazy. I try to finish just below my daily calorie limit and within 20 grams +/- on my protein. I'm in a similar situation to you... losing muscle is not an option. I set my protein requirements high to overshoot my needs, while keeping my carbs on the low side because that's what works for me.

Pay close attention to your body. With some experimentation, I found that 2000 calories helps me to burn fat at an optimal rate. I can get through my days relatively easily and my workouts aren't suffering. I am currently lifting heavy 4 times a week while playing ice hockey and kick boxing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your stats (esp. weight) would help you to get more accurate advice but just so you know that 150g daily protein goal is higher than mine!

I prefer to get the majority of protein from food (I like food!) and use protein shakes to fine tune things if required, often at the end of the day. Eating more food and drinking less shakes should help with hunger issues.

Remember that the Y in IIFYM is yours and not someone else's so you have to take adherence and fit into your lifestyle into account.

This is well worth a read:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but why did you PAY for this? You can easily find info about how to do this online for free :/

What are your stats, OP?
    Weight:
    Body fat % if known (can estimate if you'd like, or leave blank):
    Activity level, specifically length and intensity of each type of workout along with frequency:
    Weight/body fat % goal:

Unless you are under 120lbs I highly doubt 1300 calories is enough for you to be consuming. If you were to eat up to 1500 calories you may no longer be hungry.

You are not meeting your goals because you aren't eating enough. Add in more proteina nd fat sources and you can meet your goals. YOu can also meet your goals eating whatever you want. I ate a cinnamon bun and a piece of chocolate today.

Protein shakes are fine to consume. The only time they leave me hungry are when they are the ONLY thing I eat, i.e. my calorie count is too low. So if I made an actual shake with other ingredients, yielding maybe up to 300 calories, then that could work just fine as a pre-workout meal (due to the low fat, fat doesn't work well for me pre-workout). If eating 1500 cals in the day still leaves you feeling starving then I'd guess you are either not eating enough calories or your macro balance at meals isn't ideal for you.
  • myrasays
    myrasays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    So it looks like you're still not meeting protein, even with the shake. Eat real food (meat), it will keep you sated longer.

I do eat real meat - at every meal.
    I paid for this just to see how accurate my measures personally were (and they were not) - but thanks for the input anyway.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone harsh on your for paying for a macro plan. There are lots of people out there who do macro plans and macro coaching, which can be really helpful for some people just learning the ropes. The protein seems pretty high (in my opinion), but I'm sure the coach knows what your goals are and everything.
    For getting more protein, snack on deli meat, jerky...I even keep tuna packets in my desk drawer at work if I'm low on protein. It's the hardest macro for me to get enough of.
    My suggestion is keep at it for a few weeks and if you're not seeing the results you were anticipating, go ahead and tweak them a little bit and see what happens.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You paid someone to set your calorie goal and macro percentages for you? =/

Your calorie goal is ACTUALLY 1498 (with the macros provided).
    Breakdown:
    Protein: 600 calories total or 40%
    Carbs: 520 calories total or 35%
    Fat: 378 calories total or 25%

If you feel like this is difficult for you, i'd adjust your protein down and your fat up.

In all actuality you really only need 1g of protein per pound of Lean Body Mass. So i think you hitting 109 is pretty damn good and probably already enough or really close to it.

Ultimately, as long as you're consuming enough protein to retain lean muscle i don't think you need to be all that concerned with protein and fats. I think it's more important that you're able to consume carbs and fats in the portion that keeps you most satiated and can be maintained long term.

You can set your goal manually in myfitnesspal. Set it to 1500 calories and then adjust the percentage accordingly. Maybe 40% c, 30%p, 30%f would be more feasible?

I think you need to really experiment with it and find what works best for you.
  • myrasays
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Sorry, but why did you PAY for this? You can easily find info about how to do this online for free :/

What are your stats, OP?
    Weight:
    Activity level, specifically length and intensity of each type of workout along with frequency:
    Weight/body fat % goal:

Unless you are under 120lbs I highly doubt 1300 calories is enough for you to be consuming. If you were to eat up to 1500 calories you may no longer be hungry.

You are not meeting your goals because you aren't eating enough. Add in more proteina nd fat sources and you can meet your goals. YOu can also meet your goals eating whatever you want. I ate a cinnamon bun and a piece of chocolate today.

Protein shakes are fine to consume. The only time they leave me hungry are when they are the ONLY thing I eat, i.e. my calorie count is too low. So if I made an actual shake with other ingredients, yielding maybe up to 300 calories, then that could work just fine as a pre-workout meal (due to the low fat, fat doesn't work well for me pre-workout). If eating 1500 cals in the day still leaves you feeling starving then I'd guess you are either not eating enough calories or your macro balance at meals isn't ideal for you.

I mentioned that my goal is to lean out, so fat loss, but not at the sake of a lot of muscle. To be more specific, I would like to get down to 18% body fat as I think that would be manageable for me at this time.

Stats are:

Weight = 135
    Body fat = 20.5%
    Activity level = heavy weight lifting 4x per week (upper/lower body split), HIIT 2x per week on off days, 1 full day of rest. Length = 60 minutes on average. "Heavy" defined by compound movements, but my weight is only around 60-70lbs for squats/deadlifts, for example.

I paid for this because my measurements were not correct and I kept reading conflicting information about what formulas to use, getting hugely different answers and said F&*# it and let a professional bikini model do it for me...who did advise to change my macros as I went along, but I am just curious what more seasoned IIFYM think of this assessment and how to make it work.

More clarity: The protein shake @ breakfast usually allows me more freedom in the rest of my day to have bigger meals. I do supplement the protein into my greek yogurt, adding chia seeds & fruit, etc.

Breakfast: eggs (2) & toast
    Mid-morning: protein shake
    Lunch: whatever fits my macros (usually chicken, vegetable, or turned into a wrap, etc.)
    Mid-afternoon: protein shake
    Dinner: whatever is left in my macros.

Somehow, I am still coming up short on calories - even after I hit my macros - and by logic, that just doesn't make sense. OR I am going over on fat - so basically, if I have a steak, even lean cut, I am maxed out on fats almost immediately.

So basically the way I am working this out mentally is - chicken/fish/chicken/fish/pork/chicken/fish - steak like once a month?
    Sounds absolutely awful to me. I just can't eat this much damn protein without feeling sick.
  • myrasays
    Options
    Also - if anyone has some sound, solid resources where I could read more (not IIFYM.com please, already scoured it a million times) that would be helpful, too! Thanks :)
    Also, I am a research-based snob - if they can't cite a source, I don't continue reading...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    myrasays wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

What are your stats, OP?
    Weight:
    Weight/body fat % goal:

I mentioned that my goal is to lean out, so fat loss, but not at the sake of a lot of muscle. To be more specific, I would like to get down to 18% body fat as I think that would be manageable for me at this time.

Stats are:

Weight = 135
    Body fat = 20.5%
    Activity level = heavy weight lifting 4x per week (upper/lower body split), HIIT 2x per week on off days, 1 full day of rest. Length = 60 minutes on average. "Heavy" defined by compound movements, but my weight is only around 60-70lbs for squats/deadlifts, for example.

I paid for this because my measurements were not correct and I kept reading conflicting information about what formulas to use, getting hugely different answers and said F&*# it and let a professional bikini model do it for me...who did advise to change my macros as I went along, but I am just curious what more seasoned IIFYM think of this assessment and how to make it work.

More clarity: The protein shake @ breakfast usually allows me more freedom in the rest of my day to have bigger meals. I do supplement the protein into my greek yogurt, adding chia seeds & fruit, etc.

Lunch: whatever fits my macros (usually chicken, vegetable, or turned into a wrap, etc.)

Somehow, I am still coming up short on calories - even after I hit my macros - and by logic, that just doesn't make sense. OR I am going over on fat - so basically, if I have a steak, even lean cut, I am maxed out on fats almost immediately.

So basically the way I am working this out mentally is - chicken/fish/chicken/fish/pork/chicken/fish - steak like once a month?
    Sounds absolutely awful to me. I just can't eat this much damn protein without feeling sick.

You have 108 lbs of lbm. So it looks like you're hitting right on your goal.
  • myrasays
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    It takes more then 25 days to learn a whole new lifestyle. Cut yourself some slack. You sound like you have a solid grasp on what you are doing. now you just need to fine tune your execution as you develop your new habits. Keep working on your food selection until you get it dialed In to your needs. Nobody nails it right off the bat or everyday. One tip comes to mind that worked for me, Try pre logging a days meals. That way you can tweek the contents to fine tune your macros. Get it just right on paper then go eat it.

Thank you for the encouragement. It could just be the learning curve of what actually fits, but I feel like this plan is too low on everything except protein.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

Thank you for the encouragement. It could just be the learning curve of what actually fits, but I feel like this plan is too low on everything except protein.

It probably is, then. If you're not feeling great, if you're hungry and tired, you're probably not eating enough. 150 grams of protein is ... a lot. Anyway, what kind of protein are you getting in? Fish, chicken, tuna (in water) and ground turkey > all but the leanest red meat for protein:fat. That's why bodybuilders eat that stuff. I couldn't live just on that, personally. Deli meats other than lean sliced turkey are going to bring the fat up too.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Also - if anyone has some sound, solid resources where I could read more (not IIFYM.com please, already scoured it a million times) that would be helpful, too! Thanks :)
    Also, I am a research-based snob - if they can't cite a source, I don't continue reading...

there is a group on hear…side steel and sarah run called "eat, train, progress" you can either join it or post on their board ..they are very informative and helpful
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I do eat real meat - at every meal.
    I paid for this just to see how accurate my measures personally were (and they were not) - but thanks for the input anyway.

What do you mean how accurate your measures were? Why do you think the person you paid was more accurate? 150g of protein likely is overkill, 1500 calories likely isn't enough, maybe you do better on higher fat g, etc.

Stats are:

Weight = 135
    Body fat = 20.5%

Okay, let's round up the body fat to 21 for easier calculating.
    LBM = ~106lbs
    Meaning 109g protein is probably enough.

Let's assume that you lose virtually no lean body mass:
    18% BF = 130lbs
    if you lost a bit of lean mass then you'd probably get to 18% within the next 10lbs.
    Meaning a 0.5lb/week or 10% below TDEE are ideal goals for you.

Re: macros and cals being off, your entries are either wrong or they are just the product of rounding. MFP is really not the best site for specifically tracking macros, so to compensate I calculate my macros to determine caloric intake (1g carb and protein = 4 cals, 1g fat = 9 calories). I also created my own private database and tabulated cals from the macros so that there is less error in rounding.

You don't have to hit your macros spot on. I can easily be 20g over on fat and under on carbs, it's not going to kill you. I don't see how you'd be eating a steak with 40+g of fat in it, or enough fat to result in going significantly over. If you look at my diary, you will see that I eat a lot of different things, although I sometimes eat the same thing many times in a row. But I don't limit my options, because that's not sustainable long term. If you crave more fat, go ahead.

Compound lifts doesn't mean you are lifting heavy... the weight you pull/push determines if you lift heavy. What is your rep range? 3-5 reps for ~3 sets is usually most easily tolerated on a cut, and would be lifting heavy. If you can easily squat and dead 60lbs without breaking a tiny bit of sweat, you aren't lifting heavy.

Calculating an estimated TDEE:
    Let's assume your 60 mins is actually closer to 45 mins when you take out rests between exercises and minor warm-up times (I also do upper/lower and I am at the gym for an hour for weights, but only 45 mins or so of that is actual lifting + rests between reps). So, average of 30 mins moderate intensity a day.

I used two calculators (one assuming 3-5hrs/week of moderate exercise; the other assuming 10hrs/day sleep/reclining, 1hr walking/standing, and 30mins moderate exercise)
    Maintain: 2040-2140 cals
    10% deficit: 1840-1940 calories.
    I used health-calc.com and scoobysworkshop for these estimates.

Let's say you choose 1840 cals. Macros:
    Protein: 110g, 440 cals
    Fat: minimum of 55g (0.4x your weight), 495 cals. You could go lower (0.3x weight) but you are already demonstrating that you enjoy fatty foods, so might as well set a higher minimum goal and adjust down if you find it's too high.
    Carbs: ~226g, 905 cals.

Protein and fat would be your minimums, you can eat 80g of fat if you want and eat lower on carbs.

These are all estimates, though. So it could be that you'd actually only maintain on 1900 calories. You need to eat at a goal for a while and if you don't lose according to your goal, lower or increase the cals by 50-100 and monitor for a few weeks.