Anybody who jog/walks?

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone records their jog/walks as. I can't decide what is most accurate for me. Any opinions?

Replies

• froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I record it as 3. walk....I guess it depends on how much is jogging. I tend to like this one in case I am over estimating calories burned.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor to tell you exactly how many calories you burn! I do the walk/jog thing too, and just rely on the HRM to tell me how many calories I burn, since it's customized just to me! That way you're getting the most accurate reading possible.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have found for me personally that the predetermined levels set in the MFP system are faster than I think they are (my fault, not MFP's) - when I do a 3.5 "brisk walk" on the treadmill - I'm on the verge of running...so if I've been out walking my neighborhood, I tend to put the 2.5 down for the walk so I don't overestimate and in turn over-eat.

I'm just starting the jogging routine, and because I live in Phoenix, AZ, it's all been on the treadmill - too hot already to run outside...
  • blue3628
    blue3628 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I time how long i do each and record it together. i can't run the whole time (...yet... :wink: ) so it's more of 3 min jogging, 5 min walking, etc. by then end it usually comes to about 20 minutes jogging and 40 minutes of walking.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been using the calorie count on the treadmill but i went and got a HRM yesterday. I'm very excited to see if they are going to match.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been using the calorie count on the treadmill but i went and got a HRM yesterday. I'm very excited to see if they are going to match.

I love to know how close the two are.

When I am on the treadmill it does give the calories that I burn pretty close to the MFP. I may be on the treadmill for an hour..I am jog part at 5.0 and walk the other at 4.0

But overall when I am done if I have gone 4.5 miles in an hour then that is how I put it in MFP as walking 4.5 miles per hour...and like I said it is pretty close to what the treadmill said.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I jog/run/walk outside and carry my android phone, so I use the runkeeper app on my phone which keeps me pretty honest. It uses gps and time to measure your pace and gives you a better calorie estimate too. I even used it to measure my walk at the mall.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I jog/run/walk outside and carry my android phone, so I use the runkeeper app on my phone which keeps me pretty honest. It uses gps and time to measure your pace and gives you a better calorie estimate too. I even used it to measure my walk at the mall.

Totally going to see if they have this app for blackberrys right this second!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It depends sometimes I log it as jogging or sometimes I split it up. I always use my HRM to record the number of calories I burned. I am at a point where I am mostly running so I usually record it as running. In the note section I specify how long I walked and at what speed. That way I can look back to see how much progress I have made. :smile:
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor to tell you exactly how many calories you burn! I do the walk/jog thing too, and just rely on the HRM to tell me how many calories I burn, since it's customized just to me! That way you're getting the most accurate reading possible.

What she said!! I do the same and use an HRM as this is much more accurate than treadmill, MFP etc. You can get them for about £60.
    You can do it!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I have just downloaded this on to my work phone but I can't see how you customise it. It hasn't asked for my weight / height / age etc and it just wants me to start the activity without this info. Anybody help?
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I think I am going to invest in a HRM for my birthday :) Good luck!!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I time how long i do each and record it together. i can't run the whole time (...yet... :wink: ) so it's more of 3 min jogging, 5 min walking, etc. by then end it usually comes to about 20 minutes jogging and 40 minutes of walking.

Well, personally I would log it separately. Log the jog then go back and log the walk.
  • blue3628
    blue3628 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Well, personally I would log it separately. Log the jog then go back and log the walk.

thanks. you're right. i didnt explain it as well as i thought. i log 20 min jogging at the lowest speed and then 40 minutes walking as a 'dog walk pace" (because i am actually walking my two dogs and pushing my litle guy in the stoller all at the same time. LOL. you should see the looks i get as i go down the road :tongue: )

i just meant that i don't do separate entries for each thing. as in one entry 3 min jogging then another entry of 5 minutes walking, then a third of 3 minutes jogging, etc......
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I have just downloaded this on to my work phone but I can't see how you customise it. It hasn't asked for my weight / height / age etc and it just wants me to start the activity without this info. Anybody help?

I use Runkeeper and I love it for mapping out my runs and keeping track of my pace, etc. But I don't find the calorie burn estimate on Runkeeper to be very accurate. I use a Heart Rate Monitor and the Runkeeper numbers are usually much lower than my HRM numbers. If I recall correctly, there's not any way to enter weight, height, gender, etc. on the Runkeeper Android app, but you can do so in your online Runkeeper profile (weight, age, and gender only, I think). I don't know if that info is used for calculating calorie burn though.