Hula hoop

Options
Hi all, I am on the last leg of my journey with 9 lbs to go. I cant do aerobic exercise as I have sore knees, so I have bought a 1.3 kg weighted hula hoop. Now the calories burned are very conflicting online, according to what I have read it says 210 per 30 mins but I'm really not sure as I don't feel at all puffed out although I do make a point of working hard and tensing my stomach muscles....do any of you have a more realistic amount of cals burnt please x

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    How many calories does a weighted hula hoop burn?
    The American Council on Exercise (ACE) funded a study completed at the University of Wisconsin, and found that a 30 minute weighted hula hoop workout which consisted of hooping moves and twirling motions around the arms, waist, and legs burned roughly 7 calories per minute.
  • penni30
    Options
    Well I have read many posts regarding this, I have started to walk round in circles and after the work out I do 5 mins of handing it round from back to front....yes your numbers are the same I have come up with , it sounds stupid but it just dont feel like Im burning anywhere near that who knows lol ty x
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I participated in a similar study at the Univ of Illinois at Chicago and they found the same results. However, as an instructor, I know I don't burn as much b/c I am used to it. So, I just plug in the activity as the Wii Hula Hoop fitness activity. Try also turn inside your hoop, but opposite the hoop's path. You will really engage your abs. And, try doing that while spinning the hoop in your reverse flow.