Low impact, high intensity workout ideas

Options
Hey all, I have an ongoing ankle condition and need some new ideas for workouts. I used to be very active, lots of running and plyo, but have had to give that up because it was too much stress and pain for my ankle. I try to swim as often as I can or bike but are there any other options? Thanks!

Replies

• penni30
    Options
    Im not sure this will help but I have bad knees so cant do any high impact but i have just bought a weighted hula hoop...take a look into it, its fun x
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you can handle some form of flexion in your ankle, then you could do kettlebell work. Swings, snatches, high pulls, cleans - even squats if you're able to do them pain free.

By complexing these together and throwing in some pull/chin ups and turkish get ups you could have a pretty complete programme that will tax you and could be used to increase VO2Max, develop endurance, increase strength, lose fat, gain some muscle - depending on variation in loads, sets, reps and diet.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Is your ankle being looked after by a doc or physio?
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When talking to your health care professional, ask if they would approve the use of a rowing machine.
  • swim56
    swim56 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is the original poster, had to reset-up my account. I haven't tried kettlebell work before, sounds like something I'll have to look into. And yes my ankle has been looked after by doctors, but basically they can't do anything more for it because it's a bone thing. Thanks for the suggestions!