good or bad? Clif bars, trail mix

Options
Are clif bars and trail mix OK for snacks? I feel like they're too high in calories.. given that 1/4 cup is around 140 for TM and a clif bar is around 240 cal.
What do you think?

Replies

• sarahannecloud9
    sarahannecloud9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no help here as I'm having this exact problem I'm trying to figure out.
  • Carbsmakefat
    Carbsmakefat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Way to high in carbs. Never mind the calories.
  • sithiria
    sithiria Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars have low calorie options with needed Fiber. If that's what you like, Special K too.
  • Lacey0903
    Lacey0903 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like the Kind bars best for when you need/want that type of food. Great ingredients & flavor.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you like them and they fit your calories. The Cliff bars are hard to fit in mine though because I don't find them filling, so I only have them once in a while (I bought the pecan pie and pumpkin pie flavors in November to try them but that's about it).

Trail mix is probably more filling, but I'm not too fond of nuts so I rarely eat it (except the ones that come in Graze boxes, those are delicious).
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    They are both yummy, if you can fit them into your calories go for it. Trailmix is a personal favorite, because I enjoy it alone, and mixed into yogurt or cereal.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you can fit them into your day calories and you want them, then go ahead! I eat cliff bars as a hiking snack often.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you like them, you can make em fit. But personally I don't find either ever really fit my macros, and aren't filling enough for me vs. the calories. When I'm in maintenance though I'll give it another shot!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Clif bars are yumnum wonderful for a cycling snack. If you want quick energy and prefer organic or natural ingredients (as opposed to six kinds of artificial sugar), they're awesome. If you're looking to max out volume of food for calories, look elsewhere. The mini Clif bars are an even 100 calories, IIRC, and surprisingly filling.

Trail mix does not work for me as I just eat the M&Ms out of the bag and then go look for more M&Ms elsewhere. >:)
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Clif bars regularly and find them quite filling. It all depends on your calorie planning...
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    switched from clif bars to kind bars. seem much better and a lot of list that have "top foods" for health, list kind bars as one of the best.

as for trail mix, it is the death of me. once i start, i can't stop.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I eat a Nature Valley trail mix granola bar and banana for breakfast every day.

I eat my home mixed trail mix most days as a snack.

The weight is falling off at about one pound per week, 42 pounds so far.

If you get adequate nutrition and the calories fit, enjoy.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Generally, they have too many calories for their nutritional benefits for me. I use Quest bars for protein and fiber boosts on low days. OTOH, I climbed out of the Grand Canyon in a miserable storm on New Years Day 1992 carrying an 80 lb pack on 8 Power Bars, one per hour. I probably could have done the same with 8 or 9 Snickers bars. When it comes to nutritional supplements you will have to experiment and see what works for you. That's what I consider these concentrated bars, they are not food like apples and broccoli and bread.
  • Beckydster02
    Beckydster02 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are clif bars and trail mix OK for snacks? I feel like they're too high in calories.. given that 1/4 cup is around 140 for TM and a clif bar is around 240 cal.
    What do you think?

I believe that if you are to snack on those kind of snack foods through out the day they can be a bit bad for the diet. But if you just snack on them let's say once in a while your safe. All carbs and cals can be bad from any food whether healthy or not. It's just managed by how frequent you snack on them.
  • shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A cliff bar is a great to have in your purse or car when you don't have any other options. Although it is high carbs is also high in protein. As long as it fits into your calories... it definitely beats a drive thru.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Rebadged candy bars..... if they fit your diet, have one.