LOWER BELLY FAT

Options
mjg08060
mjg08060 Posts: 104 Member
Hey guys,
I am at a good weight but I am still not confident with wearing a bikini because I have this lower belly fat and its driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it, exercises, foods etc. Its basically a bottom roll :)
-Meghan

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Reverse crunches. They suck, but they work!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, so you would have to continue to lose fat in order to get rid of it. if you still have fat on your body, you can keep losing weight until it disappears. then you can work on putting on some muscle. or you can eat "maintenance calories" every day and continue to work out and over time it should go away. probably easier to lose more weight and then put on muscle though.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    UGH I hate that lower belly fat! Mine sticks out like a sore thumb! I just do a ton on ab exercises!

http://www.fitnessfatloss.com/featured/lose-lower-belly-fat/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVog4y4Ziww
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options

reverse crunches aren't going to get rid of her belly fat.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

I actually really like them! But partly because you can REALLY feel them working
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I do a mixutre of regular crunches.....reverse, bicycles....theres lots of different ways! Planks are good too. I need to lose alot more weight though before I complain bout my stomach fat lol
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot trim" fat from anywhere, including the belly. The body will pull fat pretty equally from everywhere, depending on your build (some of us naturally have more on our hips, others on their chest or belly). Especially if you've had kids, it's going to hang around more on the belly. All of those "burn the belly fat" diets and exercises really don't do much.

I would suggest building some muscle. It will help in burning extra fat without making you too thin (you'll look even better), and make sure you do plenty of core-strengthening stuff (pilates and yoga are good resources for that).
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    Yeah, you can't "spot remove fat." If you think about it...how do you tell your body to take fat away from here and not here. Exercises and crunches will strengthen the muscle under the fat and maybe even lose some fat overall but not JUST in that area. You would need to continue to lose weight overall in order to lose fat in that area.
  • BeachLife76
    BeachLife76 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My belly was pretty big too. I walked, walked, walked! You can walk off pounds! Do crunches, twists, even dancing helps reduce! That's what worked for me. I went from size 10 to size 8 in a month! Hope it helps!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I started doing Jillian Michals 6week6pack. I am halfway done and already the lower abs are smaller. This is not just an ab video she still keeps up the cardio. I love the workout. You may want to check it out.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a big difference in my lower belly since I started doing strength training. I incorporate lower abs into every strength workout (3 times per week). I do lots of variations of reverse crunches and that seems to be helping a lot!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, so you would have to continue to lose fat in order to get rid of it. if you still have fat on your body, you can keep losing weight until it disappears. then you can work on putting on some muscle. or you can eat "maintenance calories" every day and continue to work out and over time it should go away. probably easier to lose more weight and then put on muscle though.

I understand that you can't spot lose. But if you are doing toning exercises focusing on that area will building muscle effect the overall appearance?
  • aghall
    aghall Posts: 25
    Options
    Everyone gives good advice on here. And from what i have researched they are right. Keep dieting and exercising it will come off on your belly to, but, you gotta keep it up. I seen someone said they got dvd jillian michaels six week six pack. I got that one too, she is awesome and it will work. I also do my treadmill along with my exercise dvds, sometimes both in a day sometimes i will do my treadmill only one day and the next day i will do the jillian six week six pack or another exercise dvd i have. Just keep at it and u will notice a difference in your belly also. After 3 kids i don't think i will ever see a flat abs. But it's better than it has been in a long time. Good luck to you :) u can do it!!
  • sgiacherio
    sgiacherio Posts: 50
    Options
    My hairdresser is also a fitness trainer/marathon runner/boxer. Needless to say, she's a fitness guru! She told me to battle the belly fat I need to drink one glass of water every morning with one fresh lemon worth of juice. She says to make sure its a fresh lemon, not bottled lemon juice from the store. And she says you can drink it cold or warm - and with 1 Steevia (NOT Splenda, or other fake sweeteners).

I usually hate lemon in my water, but the higher concentration of an entire lemon actually tastes reallly yummy. I hate Steevia so I don't use any sweetener. I just started this but so far so good. I'm not sure why it works but celebrity trainer Jackie Warner also promotes the use of lemon for weight loss so I think there is some science behind it. I'm just too lazy to look up what it is. :)
  • sgiacherio
    sgiacherio Posts: 50
    Options
    My hairdresser is also a fitness trainer/marathon runner/boxer. Needless to say, she's a fitness guru! She told me to battle the belly fat I need to drink one glass of water every morning with one fresh lemon worth of juice. She says to make sure its a fresh lemon, not bottled lemon juice from the store. And she says you can drink it cold or warm - and with 1 Steevia (NOT Splenda, or other fake sweeteners).

I usually hate lemon in my water, but the higher concentration of an entire lemon actually tastes reallly yummy. I hate Steevia so I don't use any sweetener. I just started this but so far so good. I'm not sure why it works but celebrity trainer Jackie Warner also promotes the use of lemon for weight loss so I think there is some science behind it. I'm just too lazy to look up what it is. :)

Obviously this only works if you are dieting and exercising too!
  • colson12
    colson12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done many different workouts over the last few years. You have to do cardio on a regular basis in order to burn fat. If you only do ab workouts then the muscles under the fat will strengthen, however the fat won't just go away, instead, the muscles under the fat could thicken your ab area because the fat is still there......cardio, cardio, cardio....plus some ab and strength training. That is what I have found works for me.
  • CWRose
    CWRose Posts: 62
    Options
    I just looked into this a few days ago and there is no spot trimming. Ab exercises are great but HAVE to be done along with LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of intense cardio. The cardio burns more of fat for you than any muscle toning exercise does. Hope this helps you! :)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    200 sit ups a day
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

I understand that you can't spot lose. But if you are doing toning exercises focusing on that area will building muscle effect the overall appearance?

I Agree!
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After 4 kids, I feel your pain! I agree w/reverse crunch and wqorking on your core. It has made a difference for me.
    Best of luck.