Anyone pre-diabetic out there?

Options
It was a shock to have my NP tell me I am pre-diabetic. From what I've been reading, the time to act is now, rather than waiting for Type II to impact my life. It's harder than I ever thought it would be to track my carb choices and to resist the temptation to turn to sugar when life is challenging. I am a care provider for my husband who is in late stage cancer and life is tough enough without giving up my favorite "med" when I am stressed. Anybody who can relate to the sugar addiction and the pre diabetes?

Replies

• jgd68
    jgd68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic. Was diagnosed about a year ago. I've just barely begun to take it seriously and watching what I eat now. It's not as bad as you think. What sux is cereal and milk... u do the low carb and they are yucky. I've switched to sugar free bread, sugar free Almond milk and low carb cereal. You can find some tasty low carb treats out there like Carb smart ice cream bars, skinny cow chocolate truffles and atkins sweets to name a few. My diabetic dr said to stick to 30 grams of carbs per meal and 15 grams per snack.
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    I was recently told by my PCM that I am pre diabetic. I am actually not big on sugary stuff - more salty and carby food.

Having her tell me that really threw me into gear and the main reason I am bettering myself, especially since Diabetes runs on my moms side of the family.
  • CarveH20
    Options
    I was diagnosed pre-diabetic last year so went on ketosis diet. Just had my annual physical and I am now well into the normal range for blood sugar. You can fix your condition
  • jrwamrp
    jrwamrp Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As someone who has been diabetic for seven years, at first I didn't take it very seriously. The best thing is to limit the carbs and exercise. Even if it's just a simple walk around the block.
    Don't be afraid of that meter. The old phrase that ignorance is bliss does not work with Diabetes.
    Take it serious. It is a vicious and unforgiving disease. But you can beat it.
    Hope the best for you.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Back when I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia/insulin resistance, they called it pre-diabetes, too, because your body works so hard to produce the excess insulin that the pancreas can just stop working. I was in bad shape and was told to go buy a book on a high protein diet and follow it for a little while to stop the surges of insulin in my body. I lost no weight, but it worked to tame the blood sugar swings. I could go into my story, but it probably won't help my overall tidbit. It takes a bit, but the cravings go away and you find other things you'd rather have, like a baked potato.
  • jnyhart
    jnyhart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, my Dr recently told me that I am pre-diabetic. I have been slowly watching what I eat but I need to lose weight as well. I am trying to get away from the sweet stuff and the carbs. It's very hard to do when u are a carb addict! I am going to track my carbs and try to get my "lifestyle change (diet) on track before it gets worse. Good luck and add me as a friend, I need motivation too!
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pre-diabetic here, runs in the family. I am not over weight (BMI-21), so eating less was not going to work for me. At one time my fasting BS level was in 120s. Started eat a lot less sugar. Cut down on carbs (not an easy task).

Started taking a cocktail of supplements (Magnesium, ALA, Cinnamon, Fenugreek, Vitamin D, and Emergen-C) four to five times a week. Also started to move around during the day. Just get out of office every hour and walk around the building. Now my fasting BS level is in mid 90s. Goal is to bring it down to mid 80s if possible.... without loosing any weight.