Cheat Days?

Options
Does anyone have cheat days that are supposed to give your metabolism a 'boost'? If so, what kind of foods do you 'cheat' with? :)

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No. I recently decided to implement weekly or bi-weekly re-freed days, which are not the same as a "cheat" day. I eat my protein goal (or close) and then fill the rest of my day up with carbs until I reach around my maintenance calorie needs (or a bit over). Incidental fats are also consumed, or you can meet your protein and fat goals while filling the rest of your cals with carbs.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    where do people come up with this stuff ? Sorry that isn't how it works.
  • tottenc
    Options
    Many reputable sites recommend a cheat day including Muscle and Fitness and WebMD..it worked for me 2 years ago when I found myself plateauing. It's not a day to stuff your face, but a day to loosen the reins a bit and give your body some carbs that it's been missing. Metabolism gets a kick start again.
  • Dragonlaurel
    Dragonlaurel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I believe it the 90% rule. If I do what I should that much of the time- I'm doing pretty good...
  • rosejyoti55
    rosejyoti55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I generally have a 'cheat meal'; but try and view it in a positive light. So I'll have a big chippy on my rest day, knowing that it will fuel me tomorrow when I swim 2.5k to burn it all off.
    Otherwise, not really, but I tend to have a healthy splurge on Sunday - a big cooked breakfast (which only actually amounts to 450ish calories) and a nice smoothie with fresh strawberries and mango etc. This helps break the psychological pattern of viewing unhealthy food as "good" and healthy food as "nasty"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eating too much on one day does not give your metabolism a "boost".
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    tottenc wrote: »
    Many reputable sites recommend a cheat day including Muscle and Fitness and WebMD..it worked for me 2 years ago when I found myself plateauing. It's not a day to stuff your face, but a day to loosen the reins a bit and give your body some carbs that it's been missing. Metabolism gets a kick start again.

This is not a cheat day, this is supposed to be a re-feed. Which does not boost metabolism, but is potentially beneficial for improving certain hormone levels. And you really aren't "loosening the reigns" since you are still making sure to meet your macro and calorie requirements. This isn't a day to stuff your face.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bad. Idea.

... is based on horribly misunderstood and misquoted misinformation .
  • tottenc
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input.
  • tottenc
    Options
    I don't plan on eating too much in one day....lol. I think I'll treat myself to a veggie pizza now and then, maybe once a month, with a home baked pastry for dessert. :) ..and I won't feel guilty.