How to read food label in a correct way.

Options
Thought to share this as I found something what I did right and wrong. Very clear explanation!

http://nutrition.about.com/od/recipesmenus/ss/learnlabels.htm

Replies

• Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    this was useful but i got confised over the sodium - it said on the label 5% but it said in the blurb underneath that it was 37% of the GDA....
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    When I read a food label I look at serving size, servings per container, calories, fat, sodium, and sugar. If the sodium is usually higher than the calories, I tend to pass on the item.

Then I read the ingredients. If I see the words, "enriched" "high fructose corn syrup" or "sugar" in the first 5 ingredients it goes back on the shelf. Items with a loooooong ingredient list also tend to get passed over.

Hope this helps. :)
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    I've always liked about.com.They have some common sense answers to things I need to know. Unfortunately in this case some of their quiz questions were confusing. They asked the reader to calculate information based on two servings but only gave the answer for one serving in one instance. (On another one, I was wrong with my math). This brings out another fact that we don't always think about. The math used to calculate your calories is generally simple math, but errors in math can cause big errors in daily calories.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    One of the shelters I lived in had a nutritionist come in and teach us how to read the food labels, there is more to it than I thought.