55 lbs to lose, looking for friends

Options
Hey, everybody! I've decided to get serious about losing some weight instead of just wishing it away as I crunch on potato chips. I'm starting today (halfway through my day, but gotta start sometime, right?). As the title suggests, I have 55 lbs to lose, but I'm more interested in getting healthy than rapid weight loss. I plan to eat "normally" this week and engage in "normal" activities and log everything that I eat and do, then start making adjustments to my diet and activities next week.

I would like friends who are nonjudgmental and who understand I am going to be making slow progress. I have tried the "all or nothing" approach and it ends with me quitting and putting on more weight than I lost in the first place. I measured and weighed myself today, and I'm going to put my scale away somewhere very inconvenient and only weigh myself once a month when I take measurements.

If you would like to be my pal, please add me. If you'd like to know more about me personally, just send me a message and ask. :)

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I do not judge but I also call a spade a spade. I know bs when I see it.
    sorry but you don't sound convincing that you are going to follow through with this yet.

It's not that you need an all or nothing approach. However you are either going to do this no matter what it takes or not. Planning to do it later is just procrastination. Something we all did many pounds before we finally took action.

Hiding a useful tool that will help you reach your goal is not embracing the challenge in front of you, it is a laissie fair attitude and that isn't gonna get the job done.

What is your idea of a "slow" approach ? How much fat per week ? Slow is fine but it needs a set goal and number associated with it so you can hold yourself accountable. Just saying slow leaves way to much wiggle room. Again, it isn't all or nothing but a vague daily, weekly and monthly goal will get you just that. Vague if any results.

Anyhow, Best of luck on your journey.
    Add me if you want a no nonsense friend who will call your bs on you along the way.
  • penni30
    Options
    Start tomorrow, get in the healthier things you enjoy...by this time next week you will be about 4 lb lighter and feeling so proud of yourself x
  • DragonSpark3
    DragonSpark3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    I do not judge but I also call a spade a spade. I know bs when I see it.
    sorry but you don't sound convincing that you are going to follow through with this yet.

It's not that you need an all or nothing approach. However you are either going to do this no matter what it takes or not. Planning to do it later is just procrastination. Something we all did many pounds before we finally took action.

Hiding a useful tool that will help you reach your goal is not embracing the challenge in front of you, it is a laissie fair attitude and that isn't gonna get the job done.

What is your idea of a "slow" approach ? How much fat per week ? Slow is fine but it needs a set goal and number associated with it so you can hold yourself accountable. Just saying slow leaves way to much wiggle room. Again, it isn't all or nothing but a vague daily, weekly and monthly goal will get you just that. Vague if any results.

Anyhow, Best of luck on your journey.
    Add me if you want a no nonsense friend who will call your bs on you along the way.

How is it bs that I want to pinpoint bad habits that I need to fix before jumping in and just trying to change everything about my current lifestyle? By "slow approach" I mean I'm going to tackle bad habits one or two at a time instead of all of them at once, which is what I've done before and what I'm referring to as "all or nothing," which doesn't work for me. As far as goals, I'll set those as I go along and as I work on fixing different bad habits. But if you see this as bs that's fine and that's on you.
  • thicbeauty1992
    thicbeauty1992 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it's wonderful that you've decided to make an effort to take control of your health and weight. Don't let anyone's negativity bring you down. Everyone has their own pace so do what works for you. And honestly, I think putting the scale away is a good idea. I refuse to buy one and I go to my mom's and weigh myself once a week, because for me, in the past, doing it too often gets me discouraged if I don't see any progress or even worse, weight gain. I do recommend doing it more than once a month tho. At least every week or two weeks. How active are you? What are your daily eating habits like? The great thing that some people don't realize about weight loss is that you can lose it both healthy and quickly. Just depends on how much work your willing to put in. But again, go at a pace that's comfortable for you.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    There is just one "bad habit" you need to tackle to start your journey.

1. Eat fewer calories then you burn.

All of your other "bad habits" can be resolved along the way as they become apart to you or as you see fit to change them.
  • michanda2015
    michanda2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I need to loose 70 more pounds. You can do this! I started my weight loss journey 3 weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds so far. The fact that you realized you need to change is the first step. I will not judge you, just offer some motivational support!! You got this!!
  • ashleyhawn
    ashleyhawn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have about 80 pounds to lose! I started 3 days ago! I'm struggling to kick my old eating habits but determined to feel comfortable in my skin! Feel free to add me! I don't know how to add friends haha! :-)
  • futuresoonermom
    futuresoonermom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend as well. :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'turtle' in life - slow and steady! I agree, set goals, realistic one's. As you start logging your 'regular stuff' you will probably be amazed at some of those calories and it will give you great ways to know what you're changing first and what works best for you.

Are you going with some exerise also?
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • kazdoll83
    kazdoll83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too!
    I started (again....) on 5th Jan this year with 63lbs to lose. As of today I have 53lbs to lose.
    I am similar in that I have been so all or nothing in the past and therefore spectacularly fall off the wagon.
    I've really tried to look at myself objectively and understand what makes me tick so I can nail this. For me it is all about integrity and authenticity to yourself. I am committed to making myself healthier, fitter and happier. A by-product of that will be the weight loss as I'm not at a weight whereby I can be my best self. I'm basically trying to be a bit nicer to myself and stop fat-shaming which is a nasty old habit!
    Someone mentioned on a social media page that they now view their workouts as 'me time'. This has transformed my approach to exercise. Instead of a punishment or necessary evil, I just love having that time that is solely mine and I am choosing to do something with it that will benefit me.
    I made some bad choices this weekend that resulted in me missing a planned bike ride that I was really looking forward to. Previously I would have just enjoyed almost having an excuse to lounge around and do nothing but I hated it! Beat myself up a bit but today I am back eating delicious fresh and whole foods, drinking lots of water and really looking forward to working out this eve. Always more to learn!!
    Like you have said, observe what you're doing now, be honest with yourself and start identifying the bits that you know are not contributing in a positive way to your life and make those changes. For some it will work to go 'cold turkey' but for others it is better to change one thing at a time and let that bed in. If you've tried one way before and it hasn't worked then it would seem sensible to try something different.
    As Einstein wisely observed - insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    "Insanity" is also a great workout but that's not the point here...
    Best wishes to you - keep us updated
    xxx