Results :(

Options
Catiec76
Catiec76 Posts: 55 Member
Still only lost five #'s and got my time of the month this morning and gained a #. Why is this so difficult! I am getting discouraged!

Replies

• rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    hey don't get discouraged! I know I usually have the same problem at my TOM have you tried taking measurements? Sometimes you lose inches before weight
  • sapienti
    sapienti Posts: 17
    Options
    Catiec,

Don't use the scale as your only measurement of success, and try looking at the changes over a longer timeline, like month-by-month. You can easily retain water in your body that adds more weight, but not more fat. Your cycle will cause water retention. Generally speaking, foods with high carbs and high sodium also promote retention. Shift to a diet with lower carbohydrates (ie grains, starch and sugar) and replace them with fruits and vegetables. you'll feel thinner and less bloated or puffy in general and have less water retention. Most importantly - keep your head up! :-)

--Dan
  • cwilliams32
    cwilliams32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That;s great news....keep up the good work.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i usually gain 5-8 pounds during that TOM. then it goes right a way a day or two after! do not fret girl!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and increase your calories during your TOM. It works for me and might help you lose more weight. Also, I can't see your diary but how much you're eating could definitely hinder your weight loss.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Yep, when TOM is around I put on anywhere from 3-5 lbs of "water weight" - it always goes away a week afterwards. It is normal - don't worry about it.
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Dont be...I not a big fan of scale rather then Measuring inches on the waist..be pateint girl it will come off..
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    i usually gain 5-8 pounds during that TOM. then it goes right a way a day or two after! do not fret girl!

this. Hang in there! My TOM last month did me in a little bit because I decided to cave into cravings. But in my experience, if I just hold through that period and do the right things, the water weight plus more comes off.

It does get harder to lose the closer you get to your goal. You shouldn't have to suffer and eat lettuce only though (I do agree about the carbs comment above, great for weight loss). Without knowing your food patterns or what you do for exercise, maybe try a different workout program and start measuring. I think the smaller you are, the less it is about pounds and the more it is about how you look and your size.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    CatieC,
    Everyone on here has said from the beginning of my journey to take pictures of yourself, take measurements of yourself and keep track of things other than the scale.
    I learn everything the hard way, so I didn't do any of those things.... now I am 48 lbs lost, am down to about 20% body fat, am doing things that I didn't think I could do, and I am sorry I didn't follow the advice given to me.
    So, take pics, measurements and keep track of your workouts. They will tell you what is working and what ain't working, but when it comes to what ain't working, you have something to show folks on here that they can come up with a better plan.....
    I know that I don't know... so I need to bring it to others that do...
    Good luck, don't pay so much attention to the scale, pay more attention to the details (measurements and workout logs).
  • Catiec76
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. I will definatly take measurments tonight. I haven't for a year. And I am going to drink more water that I normally do. I try to drink 80 ozs a day. How much do you think I should be drinking?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if thats all it takes to discourage you, you better toughen up.
  • Catiec76
    Options
    Thanks for the support yoovie. But I would rather you not post unless you have suggestions. I found out a month ago that I was 3 months pregnant and had a miscarriage. So I am trying to get the weight off to help me no think about losing my baby. So please refraine from posting on my topics.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support yoovie. But I would rather you not post unless you have suggestions. I found out a month ago that I was 3 months pregnant and had a miscarriage. So I am trying to get the weight off to help me no think about losing my baby. So please refraine from posting on my topics.

Support isnt all about rah rah rah or telling you that your reasons for doing this or not doing this are good enough. Sometimes it's being kind enough to tell you in the beginning to toughen your skin to avoid discouragement later. Sometimes it's about being the only one honest enough to tell you that its going to be a hard road, and you're going to want to give up, so if you really really want this- stick to it. Stick to it HARD, prove how much you want it, prove that you aren't taking for granted that you still have your life in your control, and showing the world what a strong mother you will be someday.

And choose to see things with a positive spin, not as an attack just because there anen't any rah'rah's in it. Sometimes the people that are actually pulling for you, are the ones that want to see you get stronger. Like... for real stronger. Not fake internet coddling stronger.

I wish you the best and I wish you success and strength instead of discouragement.
  • hannangerry
    Options
    sapienti wrote: »
    Catiec,

Don't use the scale as your only measurement of success, and try looking at the changes over a longer timeline, like month-by-month. You can easily retain water in your body that adds more weight, but not more fat. Your cycle will cause water retention. Generally speaking, foods with high carbs and high sodium also promote retention. Shift to a diet with lower carbohydrates (ie grains, starch and sugar) and replace them with fruits and vegetables. you'll feel thinner and less bloated or puffy in general and have less water retention. Most importantly - keep your head up! :-)

--Dan

• hannangerry
    Options
    sapienti wrote: »
    Catiec,

--Dan

It is normal to gain a couple of lbs during that time of the month. Don't go by what the scale say, go by how your clothes fit. I have learned this throughout the years of me losing and gaining weight. Don't get discouraged, keep going.