Body Weight Squats- which part is the most important?

I've been working on squats for a year- not weight lifting, just body weight. In discussions of squats, I cannot get a clear picture on whether keeping my heels down or getting lower is more important. I am working very hard on both, but just read I HAVE to get all the way down. If I go down beyond parallel thighs, my heels come up. I have gotten better in the last year, getting lower with heels down, but I still wonder which is more important.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    You won't get maximum benefit unless you break horizontal, but there's minimal additional benefit beyond that -- no need to go a**-to-grass. That said, if you've been working on it for a year, curious why you can't get lower when doing bodyweight squats. Have you tried squat stretches? Start with legs shoulder width or a bit more apart, feet at 30-45 degrees. Decent video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKWnGcu5Ss
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    is it a balance thing? I let my heels up when I sway forward. Since you're not holding weights I wonder if resting a hand on a wall would help
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Tight hips will contribute to the heels up/ loss of balance issue.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks for the replies. It's an issue with inflexibility in my thighs combined with fat being in the way on the backs of my legs. There is MUCH less fat a year later, and I am more flexible, so I have made progress. Just trying to sort out if I should be getting lower instead of focusing on flexibility. Thanks for the link!
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Nekrachael wrote: »
    Just trying to sort out if I should be getting lower instead of focusing on flexibility. Thanks for the link!

You'll need to do both, since one will lead to the other.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Put something like small weight plates or whatever you have that's solid under your heels when you squat and see if that helps you get lower.

If it does, you need to work on ankle flexibility.

Really, working on overall flexibility is a good idea for anyone. Stretch your hips, quads, hamstrings, calves, and ankles on a regular basis and I bet your squats get much easier.
  • Check this out for body weight squats:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=dPEFsGm9NKE
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    If you are just doing body weight, turn your toes out, and if you can wiggle your toes your heels will stay down. A trainer had me place a board under my toes at first.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    heels need to stay down, and you need to break parallel. practice different foot positions until you find one that works.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Snip8241 wrote: »
    If you are just doing body weight, turn your toes out, and if you can wiggle your toes your heels will stay down. A trainer had me place a board under my toes at first.

Eh, be careful with this. Putting your toes too far out can make it hard to keep your knees in the appropriate position. While very few people are going to keep them perfectly straight throughout a squat, it's a good idea to try and keep them close to it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Check this out for body weight squats:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=dPEFsGm9NKE

Awesome video. I'm definitely going to try to incorporate these progressions into my workout routine.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    BTW, one thing I forgot to mention -- if you're not doing these barefoot (or at least in shoes with a flat sole), you're going to have more problems. Running shoes and good squats really don't mix.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I am watching the two videos. I do the squats at home, so I am barefoot. I will adjust foot position. My husband is very limber and easily rests his fanny against his heels with his knees pretty much together, so I thought that was my goal. Thanks for helping me move toward a good squat.