Virtual races

Options
For those of you that are avid runners, are you bothered by virtual races? I'm relatively new to running and due to knee issues, I won't ever be a runner. I completed a virtual 5k through flex it pink and several other races, but most of the 5 or 8ks in my area don't offer any type of medal for completion. And let's face it everyone loves some bling!

I found races through US road running (http://usroadrunning.com) and was just curious of what others thought. Anyone completed one of the races and have an experience to share?

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just love the feeling of race day and all of the activities of a race weekend. For that reason haven't done a virtual race.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    no virtual races for me. They are no different for me than a training run.
  • SJD87
    SJD87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. there's nothing like a real race, but not everyone can go to races for all sorts of reasons. Like yea there will be people who lie and cheat so overall it's not ideal but if it's a real race in your mind and u treat it as such I say go for it. If it helps get someone out of the chair and working out I say what harm done.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it because I can race with my friends, and we're gonna train together.

Also it's way cheaper than race day prices for a dinky "swag bag." I've just finished a virtual race challenge, so it's nice. I try to keep it to good challenges, personally.
  • rhodehazard
    rhodehazard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will do a virtual race if it supports a cause I care about, offers the right incentives, and fits into my training program for another race. I'm not interested in virtual races that mail out medals.

A cool one that is different is the Swagtastic Virtual Races for Medals4Mettle- all participants are mailed a USPS box filled with samples and products from 20+ health, wellness and endurance companies. This race is in October- www.swagtasticrace.com
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    wait, so people pay to sign up for a race and then just do it from home or at a local park or wherever they want if they feel like it? Sounds like a great money making scheme with little to no benefit for the runners involved.