So hungry, how do I get past this!?

Options
Please help. So now that I am watching my calorie intake, again, I am going to be so hungry! I am hungry all the time no matter how much I have eaten...what can I do?

Replies

• jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    As long as you work out and eat the right food have at it... don't ignore your body tell you it needs food.. But you have to eat healthy food not garbage..
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or is it more like a smoker who can't get a cigarette? For me, it's rare that I'm actually hungry, but as soon as I'm limiting myself, I get these very overpowering cravings to eat. If I keep busy I don't get them.
  • jenny2002
    jenny2002 Posts: 3
    Options
    eat 5 - 6 small "meals" throughout the day. breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner - dessert/snack
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    try drinking plenty of water and eat small meals/snacks every two hours. Example for breakfast I have yogurt, cereal with milk @8am I eat my yogurt and 10 am I eat my cereal with milk, I do the same with lunch and dinner or space them out with healty snacks and PLENTY of water. hope this helps you.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of water before meals!
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    I think it is normal to feel hungry when you are used to overeating and suddenly you are watching your calories. I felt hungry for the first week, really badly, but just grin and bear it and your body will get used to eating less. When I first started this there was no way I could get by on 1200 cals but now it feels kinda normal (unless I exercise of course, in which case I eat more.)

Unfortunately I think we all have to go through this.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Water water water. Drink water. Its natural appetite suppressant
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am a FIRM believer that hunger is a sign that we need to eat. It is what we are or are not eating that may be causing what seems to be unreasonable hunger. If you are eating 2500 empty or useless calories, you body will still be crying out for the necessary nutrients to continue maintaining and building. Be sure you are eating all the right stuff (there is a world of information here at MFP) and see what your body tells you. My hunger pangs usually recede after 3-4 days of healthy eating.
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    things you can try:

1. Drinking more water/tea (green tea can help suppress hunger cravings)
    2. Try to eat less carbs—limit to under 100–150g. This works for some people (including me). Most people are getting way more carbs than they need, and carbs spike an insulin response, moreso in some people that makes you "crash" after a meal with a lot of carbs and makes your body crave more. This would be combined with eating more protein, which will make you feel more satiated. Eating lower carb when you have a high insulin sensitivity makes your insulin not spike as much, so that you don't get "crashes" after eating a meal. :)

hope that helps!
  • Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a professional eater. Seriously I should get a medal for the amt of food I am capapble of shoveling into my mouth. That being said now that I've been logging for a while I've learned a few tricks. The "hype" about protien and fiber really isn't hype. If you have a 'fiber' source(like the super yummy fiber one bars) that 's really high in fiber, and a piece of fruit you will be surprised how full you feel. Also...snacking is key. If your stomach is rumbling EAT SOMETHING. I usually try to grab something portion controlled when this happens so I don't dammage myself...i like 'light' string cheese because of the protien factor...and again, perhaps some fruit or reduced fat crackers. Your body will adjust to the new schedule you set yourself. Just take your time. PLAN AHEAD WHEN YOU CAN (I've learned this lesson the hard way...being trapped without a good option that you enjoy eating when hunger hits can only lead to bad behavior). And most importantly don't be hard on yourself. If you're hungry eat...log it...and move ahead with the rest of your day.

Hope that helps.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    plenty of water:smile:
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    also be sure to eat foods with fiber (whole wheat breads, pastas, brown rice and fruits/veggies) they make you feel full.
    drink your water - thirst can sometimes feel like hunger. Be good to yourself - make your meals/snack pretty with lots of different colors.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Fill up on plenty of vegetables...lots of food for very few calories.

Avoid white bread rice and pasta, you digest them quicker than their brown counterparts meaning you'll feel hungry much sooner.

Drink plenty of water (or low/no calorie fluid)

Eat lean meat, protein fills me for far longer. Chicken breast is fantastic. also eggs, whole eggs are fine, egg whites if you're running low on calories (around 17 per egg white!)
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    I am a compulsive over eater. I am an emotional eater. I am a bored eater. It's very hard to learn what it is to "actually" be hungry. It's taken me about a year to figure out for me. I've also learned (on mfp!!) that thirst is often misinterpreted for hunger - who freakin' knew?

If I know that I've eaten adequately and I'm in front of the TV and think I'm hungry, I don't immediately get up and grab some food. I actually have to have an internal conversation. Am I REALLY hungry, or am I just bored right now? Or am I just craving something sweet that I'm interpreting as being hungry? Make sure you're eating adequate calories for your current weight/height/weight loss goals as well. What I often tell myself too is that you know what, you're clearly not starving. You've ate plenty of food today. You've ate healthy. Feeling a little hungry at 10 pm isn't going to kill you. You'll be fine till breakfast. (whether or not i'm in the right there, i have no idea.) It's hard. Good luck though!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're not restricting your calories too much in then beginning. If you're used to overeating don't start with 1200 calories as your goal. And make sure you eat your exercise calories!
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Foods with fiber!!!
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your emotions around 'hunger' ... your first sentence implies that you WILL BE hungry ... future tense ... and then you write that no matter HOW MUCH you EAT, your are still HUNGRY ..... I am wondering if the HUNGER is not about PHYSICAL hunger (grumbling stomach, low blood sugar) but a mental hunger about filling up.
    I think many of us confuse physical hunger with emotional hunger: and I will be the first to step up to that plate!
    I am aware that sometimes, I am not hungry at all, but I am eating! It's usually because I am lonely or the food is there in front of me.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, plenty of water, & lean protein are filling. I agree with previous posts that are along these lines, but not about limiting your carbs, as long as they are whole grain carbs, they are fine.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If this is your first week on a low cal diet, give it another week to get used to but what you can do in the mean time is eat foods high in fiber and protein because it will keep you fuller longer. Make sure you are getting 80 oz of water daily minimum. I won't say it helps with the hunger, but I do think it helps the hunger pains. Green tea helps me when I'm out of calories for the day but I'm still hungry. Make sure you drink plain green tea, not the sugary iced tea stuff. If you feel hungry you shouldn't deprive your body of food if it is true hunger. Get some carrot or celery sticks to snack on. Start snacking on it when you feel hungry. Also brocolli and cauliflower will fill you up pretty quickly and it is very low calorie. If you feel like it's boredom cravings or hunger, find something to keep you buys. Good luck, I know it's not easy! You can do this though!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Also a sign of Dehydration is "Hunger". The body will make you think you are hungry when you are actually getting dehydrated, Also, I didnt look at your diary, BUT, the more processed stuff you eat, the less of it you can eat due to fats, salts, calories, etc. I eat ALL DAY LONG and I fill up on lots of veggies and stuff, so I can do that. Take a look at my diary and you can see its all a bunch of veggies that I can eat a lot of...