check out my food diary and explain to me

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Jagerin wrote: »
    you are not eating ENOUGH to lose weight - because that has to be crap, prisoners of war lost weight and they were NOT eating enough either!!! People in third world countries lose weight and they don't eat enough either! So please don't go down the not eating enough path.........because that doesn't make sense.

Those are terrible examples of weight loss. Those are horrible situations. Those are not healthy situations. Those peoples bodies are treated terribly and shouldn't not be looked at as a way to lose weight. They were not not eating enough by choice. Staving your body of the fuel it needs is not healthy.

Log accurately, give it time, and eat your calories. Healthy weight loss is steady and slow weight loss (at least in my opinion).

Do you want to be healthy and have a sustainable weight loss or do you want a quick fix?

I don't think she was using them as examples of losing weight. A lot of the time with these types of threads, posters will suggest the OP eat more to see the scale go down. Which doesn't make sense.

OP, like others are saying, it doesn't look like you're logging accurately.

I do log correctly and I am Healthier then Healthy - my meals are usually rasberries, blueberries, fish, salad, greek yogurt, lean meat, organic chicken, mung beans for snacks, lots and lots of salad, I drink black tea and soda water mainly, and an occasional beverage with guests on public holiday weekends etc. I am Very Healthy - but VERY busy and therefore skip meals a lot. But when it does go in my mouth - its always healthy. and NO I do not have an obsession with food or anything, I don't try to not eat, it just happens with my workload and family and business etc.

Eating fruit and yogurt doesn't mean you are healthy. You can be healthy and lose weight eating fries regularly. Simply eating healthy means nothing for weight loss/management.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your diary is not showing you weigh everything.

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) - I've had bananas that weigh 80 grams, I've had bananas that weigh 150 grams. That can equate to quite a calorie difference
    Steak - Fillet Steak, 1 steak - how large was this steak? Did you use any oils or seasonings when cooking it?
    Homemade - Fresh Garden Salad, 1 cups - what was included in the salad? It logged as 46 calories, which would only consist of the vegetables and no dressing/cheese/other extras

Make sure you are weighing and logging EVERYTHING, and using the appropriate entries that account for what you are eating.

Fillet steak small palm size, NO ADDITIVES or I would have listed them.
    i small Banana, actually smaller then one listed - I ALWAYS underestimate to allow for any calorie difference.
    Salad - AGAIN if I had of had dressings etc I would have listed it - salad consists of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, mung beans and celery. small bowl, which means a SMALL bowl.

This is the problem, my apologies for being blunt because I do appreciate your assistance - but when I list things I mean what I list, and I get sick of people saying "oh maybe you ate this or that or cheese etc and did not List it" - well NO, I didn't.

You only mean what you list if you weigh or at least measure (volume) everything. You aren't doing that. Was that salad recipe your own or just searched on the database? Saying you ate a small bowl says nothing. I could eat a small bowl of soup and it may have more calories than my homemade 3-large-bowl soup (which is usually around 600 cals).

• weightlossme
    Options
    a salad that consists of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, and mung beans - cut up on my benchtop and placed in a bowl - no matter what size the bowl - with nothing added to it - contains zilch calories - in fact its almost calorie deficit - it takes a body more energy to process then what the food contains - I don't use a recipe for salad - it grows in my yard and that's it!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Need stats - age, sex, height, starting weight, current weight, goal to lose.
  • ana3067
    Options
    a salad that consists of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, and mung beans - cut up on my benchtop and placed in a bowl - no matter what size the bowl - with nothing added to it - contains zilch calories - in fact its almost calorie deficit - it takes a body more energy to process then what the food contains - I don't use a recipe for salad - it grows in my yard and that's it!

..... A salad is not calorie free. You are not logging accurately. How much did the lettuce, celery cucumber, tomatoes, and mung beans weigh? Or at least how many cups did each ingredient yield? You in fact did use a recipe foryoursalad in your log. So this was clearly a random database entry. Either enter your own recipe or enter ingredients separately based on measurement or weight. You are eating more than you think you are.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) - I've had bananas that weigh 80 grams, I've had bananas that weigh 150 grams. That can equate to quite a calorie difference
    Steak - Fillet Steak, 1 steak - how large was this steak? Did you use any oils or seasonings when cooking it?
    Homemade - Fresh Garden Salad, 1 cups - what was included in the salad? It logged as 46 calories, which would only consist of the vegetables and no dressing/cheese/other extras

Make sure you are weighing and logging EVERYTHING, and using the appropriate entries that account for what you are eating.

i small Banana, actually smaller then one listed - I ALWAYS underestimate to allow for any calorie difference.
    Salad - AGAIN if I had of had dressings etc I would have listed it - salad consists of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, mung beans and celery. small bowl, which means a SMALL bowl.

This is the problem, my apologies for being blunt because I do appreciate your assistance - but when I list things I mean what I list, and I get sick of people saying "oh maybe you ate this or that or cheese etc and did not List it" - well NO, I didn't.

you are not logging accurately …was that steak three ounces, five ounces, or eight ounces.??? It makes a difference…

How do you know you are underestimating? Did you weigh the bananas?

I suggest you weigh/log/measure EVERYTHING for two weeks and get a handle on your calories..

also if you are losing inches the that means that fat is coming off and you must be in some kind of calorie deficit.
  • ana3067
    Options

So ... still not gettin' it then, right?

Truth.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

if you think that then you really have no clue….
  • weightlossme
    Options

47, height 157 (just) weight 60.25 kilos, current weight fluctuates between 59.5 and 60.5, its up and down depending on time of day when I weigh, and I only weigh in once a week. Goal is to get below 54. I was 50 kilos my whole adult life, then one child saw me at 54, then next child saw me at 56, now third child (shes four now) has put me at 60.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. It just seems your skimming off to much. Breakfast should consist of a meal and not just coffee. One should be able to 3 meals a day between 400-500 calories and 2 snacks in between at 100 calories or less. You may need more vegetables/fruits incorporated into your day.

Thank you - so does this mean that adding MORE food will do what? increase metabolism? obviously when you eat very little but do not drop anything on the scales, the thought of eating More scares you - as I think - well I am eating so little and NOT losing actual scale weight, doesn't that mean eating more will put on weight?. This is my problem, and this is the area I need to have explained to me.

This isn't well supported, but I've definitely worked with people who could not lose eating 1100 cals/day and who started to lose when we bumped them to 1200+. I have a theory about this but won't go into it. The truth is that unless you are underestimating or have a major medical issue, you definitely will not gain in that range.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. It just seems your skimming off to much. Breakfast should consist of a meal and not just coffee. One should be able to 3 meals a day between 400-500 calories and 2 snacks in between at 100 calories or less. You may need more vegetables/fruits incorporated into your day.

Thank you - so does this mean that adding MORE food will do what? increase metabolism? obviously when you eat very little but do not drop anything on the scales, the thought of eating More scares you - as I think - well I am eating so little and NOT losing actual scale weight, doesn't that mean eating more will put on weight?. This is my problem, and this is the area I need to have explained to me.

This isn't well supported, but I've definitely worked with people who could not lose eating 1100 cals/day and who started to lose when we bumped them to 1200+. I have a theory about this but won't go into it. The truth is that unless you are underestimating or have a major medical issue, you definitely will not gain in that range.

thanks so much. It is as if my body is just really comfortable at 60 - it just will not shift, I have certainly toned up and added some muscle although just barely visible, my hips and thighs have reduced, but as for the scales - well they just don't budge. Its becoming a competition for me just to beat the scales, just through sheer willpower to not let them beat me.
  • ana3067
    Options

I personally do think that if this happens it relates to the person's tdee lowering significantly enough to make the deficit much smaller than intended, maybe retaining water too to mask scale losses. But I know that of I don't eat enough it affects energy, so I'm sure it affects how much energy I am burning. On an old forum I posted on others talked about not losing until they raised their intake despite logging at all times so there clearly just be some circumstances in which this does happen
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi weightlossme, I'm not trying to be aggressive here. And I don't think anyone else is but I do sense a bit of irritation. Mung beans do have their share of calories...even their sprouts do. Also on a side note, does all the caffeine from the black tea make you jittery?
  • ana3067
    Options

thanks so much. It is as if my body is just really comfortable at 60 - it just will not shift, I have certainly toned up and added some muscle although just barely visible, my hips and thighs have reduced, but as for the scales - well they just don't budge. Its becoming a competition for me just to beat the scales, just through sheer willpower to not let them beat me.

You did not add muscle. At most your body fat has lowers some and you are able to set l see existing muscle mass.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Um, no....you need to figure the calories for the salad. In the mung beans alone, one tablespoon is 45 calories, and you're likely eating more than a tablespoon. And there are calories in tomatoes, lettuce, etc...it's not a calorie deficit. This is why people say weigh and measure everything.

• girlviernes
    Options

47, height 157 (just) weight 60.25 kilos, current weight fluctuates between 59.5 and 60.5, its up and down depending on time of day when I weigh, and I only weigh in once a week. Goal is to get below 54. I was 50 kilos my whole adult life, then one child saw me at 54, then next child saw me at 56, now third child (shes four now) has put me at 60.

Okay, you are in the healthy range, so any weight loss is going to be slow. I do think if you are measuring accurately you need to eat more, if nothing else, to ensure that you have a healthy diet. Adding in some healthy fats would be helpful.

You're getting smaller at any rate, which is what actually matters more than the number on the scale. I would suggest perhaps trying weighing only every 2 weeks or so to see if you can take the focus off of the number. Perhaps set a fitness goal for yourself?

• Drakerim
    Drakerim Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

Um, no....you need to figure the calories for the salad. In the mung beans alone, one tablespoon is 45 calories, and you're likely eating more than a tablespoon. And there are calories in tomatoes, lettuce, etc...it's not a calorie deficit. This is why people say weigh and measure everything.

I agree with jnv7594, you need to track everything accurately in order for this to work. It seems difficult when you start it but keep on it and in time MFP learns a lot of your eating habits and filling out your diary will be a lot easier. As for the weighing in, water retention can sometimes play a factor too. When I see I didnt lose my targeted weight for the week I just wait till the following week and see if it balances out and it always does. One week it will say I lost 1.8 pounds and the next it says I lost 4.
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your body is in starvation mode. It holds on to any food you put in it. You need to plan better and not eat too little. There is a happy medium.. and you need to find it! Good luck!
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Also, your salad does have calories in it! How many mung beans/ tomato is in it? Those are full of calories!
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your body is in starvation mode. It holds on to any food you put in it. You need to plan better and not eat too little. There is a happy medium.. and you need to find it! Good luck!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! You're not in a calorie deficit plain and simple. As long as you create a caloric deficit (meaning consume less calories than your body burns, or burn more calories than you consume… just different ways of saying the same thing), then you will lose weight every single time regardless of whether you’re creating a deficit that is small, moderate or large. Simple!

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/