Poll on Daily Calorie Intake

Options
I'm taking a poll:

Do you track your cardio exercises and then eat some of those additional calories that MFP awards? I normally don't track mine because I feel I am tempted to eat extra calories that my body isn't asking for, but has anyone had good experience with eating those extra calories burnt?

Additional Note: On the days I do burn 600 or so calories, my body does ask for extra food and then I will definitely eat over if I need to, but most days I feel satisfied without them.

Replies

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat back about half of my exercise calories. That way I don't entirely negate the effort but I still nourish my exhausted muscles.
  • ksmalls013
    ksmalls013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, Codilee! I just recently started eating right and working out again and am trying to figure out what works and what doesn't!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, as I am using them along with modest cut in calories consumed to lose weight ... I'm aiming at losing between .8-1.0 pounds per week, ... and cut 250 calories from myTDEE for maintaining my weight, the rest comes from exercise. I figure that the exrcise calories burned are overstated so automatically only apply half of them to my count. If I fall below my BMR, then I do eat back calories as I don't want to drop below that number ....
  • rachiesretrokitchen
    Options
    Nope.
    That being said I only do 2 x 15 minute walks a day currently.
    I think the over inflation of exercise calories and the fact I am actually largely sedentary mean I look at it like a bit of a bonus :D
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I do not, though I don't burn anywhere near 600 cal a workout either. I think you are probably on the right track with just listening to your body.
  • ksmalls013
    ksmalls013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I use a HRM to measure my calories because I KNOW how inflated the counts are on here, but I definitely think I'll stick to what I'm doing now and just listen to my body.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I generally eat back exercise calories. Not always. I find I have no desire to when it's light exercise, such as walking. But when I run or do HIIT, I usually eat most of them back.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yup, listening to your body is the best route. The trick is learning to do that. It takes time, but it's possible.
  • GolfsOften
    GolfsOften Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eat em up, wisely.
  • ilikecupcakes6
    ilikecupcakes6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't way back workout calories, actually I don't even keep track of calories burned, I figure it's just a happy surprise when I lost more weight that week than expected
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I may use a few but find those calories are more likely to be taken up over the course of the week, when i have a crave day or my counting hasn't been up to scratch. I've made my own exercise calorie counts so I'm closer to knowing where I really am. Seems to be working so far - one pound a week. :)