Who here is doing low carb/Keto/ Paleo diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyviola
    ladyviola Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy/anorexic about eating healthy carbs, healthy fats, and a good amount of protein? *confused*
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Eating the Atkins diet here. Getting wheat, dairy, and sugar out of my diet has made a world of difference. My skin issues, and heartburn have cleared up. I've also had steady weight loss and not felt ravenous.

With Atkins your eventually going to add those foods back in. If you are feeling that much better without the wheat and dairy, take a look at transitioning over to the Paleo / Primal way of eating and living...............

Just food for thought.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    for people on a paleo type diet that also don't eat meat, i found a great list for items full of protein that may surprise you..

compare pumpkin seeds to steak:

Pumpkin seeds 1 cup 67g protein
    T-Bone Steak 8 oz 30g protein

(for some of you that don't remember, 8oz = 1cup

shellfish even have considerably more protein than beef...

Shrimp 8 oz 41g protein
    Lobster 8 oz 37g protein
    Crabmeat 8 oz 34g protein

so there are plenty of ways for vegetarians (or modified vegetarians that eat fish/seafood) to get plenty of protein if they want to; we just have to be a little smarter about it.

i eat meat occasionally, so it's not about me being a vegetarian and telling you how to live. we just have to remember that meat is not a good environmental value, even if it's raised right. it takes a lot of energy to raise meat; by the time that meat comes to us, it's way less energy efficient. if we simply ate the energy given to the animals, we could eat several times as opposed to once.

k
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    eating clean doesn't mean you can't have fat or enough protein. Its about eating the right kind of fat and protein. Not to sound mean but I have done low carb diets and I hope you are ready to eat that way for the rest of your life because once you stop you will most likely gain it all back and plus some. I'm not a fan of low carb diets. Good luck!

A diet change SHOULD be for the rest of your life. If you stop a diet then gain back al lthe weight then some more you can't have learnt anything on your journey.
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    Good luck to all on this... it sounds terrible unhealthy and close to being anorexic in nature. I see some HUGE weight loss totals in this group, though, so it obviously is working for most of you here. I would just say... be careful. That's all. I'm not here to judge, but I know this lifestyle wouldn't work for me. Best to all!

I find your choice of words very funny: "close to being anorexic in nature". The "in nature part", do you think Special K exists in nature? The people on this thread are only restrictive in that they are eating foods that are actually only found in nature. The irony! I'm not suggesting you eat Special K by the way, it just a generic 'diet' food.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am currently practicing a ketogenic lifestyle and have been since early April. Last year I did a 3-month stint on keto and lost 50lbs. I then sat at 220 for several months because I stayed at maintenance. After that, I did a strength training program and gained 9lbs of muscle and 3lbs of fat because I ate over maintenance and lifted heavy weights.

You only GAIN weight when you intake more than your body needs.

You only LOSE weight when you intake less than your body needs. Whether on Keto or on some other diet, eating at (Maintenance - 500) causes weight loss. Unless someone is eating only a few hundred calories a day - which isn't a diet it's a psych issue - there's nothing anorexic about it.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all on this... it sounds terrible unhealthy and close to being anorexic in nature. I see some HUGE weight loss totals in this group, though, so it obviously is working for most of you here. I would just say... be careful. That's all. I'm not here to judge, but I know this lifestyle wouldn't work for me. Best to all!

1lb/wk is totally normal for any nutrition lifestyle (or "diet"). 2lbs/wk is totally normal when obese, too. I know I lost 50lbs in 3 months because it was all junk weight.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    am considering doing this, need all the support I can get!