How long to lose 25-30 lbs?

Options
I am 24 5'5" and weigh 163 lbs. I have started working out about 5-6 days a week and burn roughly 490-600 calories each time I work out. In addition I have cut back on my calories to about 1,200 a day. How long will it take for me to lose 25-30 lbs?

Replies

• 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    at 1 pound per week = 25 - 30 weeks. It might take longer since you are small to start. You might see it faster at the start. I lost 35 at one point. 20 pounds in < 10 weeks, then it took like 25 weeks to lose the last 15 pounds
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    163lb 24 year old wanting to lose 25 pounds. You could probably do it comfortably in 15-18 weeks or a bit quicker if you, "go hard or go home." :p
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you were to maintain a 500 calorie per day deficit it would take 30 weeks to lose 30 pounds.
    Or 500 calories deficit for 20 weeks and then 250 calorie deficit for the next 20 weeks.

The math is simple. 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat.

• vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the same. I am just barely 5 ft tall and 163lbs. Trying very hard. I am 4 days in and have worked out for 2-3 hours a day since I started. That expression go hard or go home is no joke. Push yourself. Dont give up. We got this!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 months
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I would never cut that low with the weight you have to lose - I lose 20 lb in six months losing much more slowly and eating a lot more than you (minimally 1600 calories plus exercise). I'm about the same height and starting weight. Go in and make it a 1 lb loss per week until you get to 20 lb to lose and then switch to 1/2 lb a week. Slower is better! I've maintained my range for six months and now using a 10% deficit from my TDEE to lose the next 5-10 lbs which I expect will take quite a long time as I'm in a very healthy range right now.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have to lose a lot more weight than you, so I'm sure at first mine will come off easier. Like in the past 4 weeks I have lost around 17lbs. But that is because I have about 50 to lose. I still always eat at a deficit but I don't limit the foods I eat. I just make sure that they fit into my daily calorie goal. Like if I want a few beers a night, I make sure to adjust my eating for the day to incorporate that. Now I have turned from th high calorie IPA beers that I love, to a lighter beer. But I have realized as I have grown older that if I cut something out completely, that my mind will become fixed with that, and then I will binge. I don't want to do that anymore, I am trying to change my lifestyle, not just a diet. I know that I will always have chocolate, beer, and chips, so why give it up? Just learn to eat in moderation.
  • Abbie_T
    Abbie_T Posts: 38
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The variety of answers have been covered, but just remember sometimes it's better to lose weight slowly with a more gentle routine - that you won't get sick of after you've lost the weight.

In the past I have lost weight in large amounts, and quickly - but I kinda got burnt out because I worked myself too hard. My body adjusted to that amount of intense exercise and when I stopped, the weight just crept back on.

Don't make my mistake! Be careful, and I hope you achieve your goal! ^_^
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would never cut that low with the weight you have to lose - I lose 20 lb in six months losing much more slowly and eating a lot more than you (minimally 1600 calories plus exercise). I'm about the same height and starting weight. Go in and make it a 1 lb loss per week until you get to 20 lb to lose and then switch to 1/2 lb a week. Slower is better! I've maintained my range for six months and now using a 10% deficit from my TDEE to lose the next 5-10 lbs which I expect will take quite a long time as I'm in a very healthy range right now.

^^This!

I am a very similar weight/height and I am eating 1500 calories a day, plus I eat back a majority of my exercise calories. I have my goal set to lose 1 lb a week, but the last two weeks I have lost 4.8 lbs. I know it's not going to be that way every week; some weeks may be closer to a half lb loss, but I am in no rush! It is slowly and steadily coming off!