What do you do when you go over?

Options
Hello, assuming that some people on here, like me, aren't entirely perfect all the time I was wondering what you do or what you think is best to do when you over shoot your calories for a day? Do you think it is best to cut out the same amount the next day, or if it's a lot over a couple of days? I've been at it a week and not seeing the results I would like to, pretty much every day has been within target but by friday I felt a little despondent and went over by about 500 cals. I'm sticking with it, but need a plan to counter the little accidents that can crop up along the way.

Replies

• Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    firstly it happens, dont panic, dont feel guilty,

today and tomorrow try and be 250 or so under by the way of exercise, rather than not eating if you can,

if not, write it off, one bad day wont ruin your progress!
  • megabux
    megabux Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I usually just cut my losses and work harder the next day at staying on track. If I have a big over shoot I may try to squeeze in an extra walk or something the next day, but don't beat yourself up over it. Life happens and somedays you are bound to go over, just reassess what caused the overage and try to fix it. Thats what I think anyway:) Good Luck!
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It happens to me all the time. I just take it as it is, somedays I squeeze in an extra workout but most times I just start fresh the next day. It's a learning process for everyone.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    I start each day fresh and aim to reach my goals, regardless of whether I over- or underate the day before.
  • chaimtime
    chaimtime Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Remember MFP takes into account the deficit. Going over means that you didn't lose the appropriate amount of calories for that day. So if you went OVER 500 calories, and assuming 1lb a week, then you ate your "maintaining calories." You won't lose weight for that day.

To answer your question, don't kill yourself for that one day (or two). Just go back over the next few days and be better. One (or Two) days over won't kill you. Results will happen if you follow the diet, just make sure you accurately log everything.
  • flyboy1
    flyboy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I treat each day as a new beginning. I try to be under by a little bit and exercise a little more to cover over days. Hang in there and it will come together.
  • MrsBrit2007
    MrsBrit2007 Posts: 161
    Options
    Like the previous poster said - it happens, and it will happen again. I try not to feel too guilty.

If I know that I'm going to go over before the end of the day, I try to add in some jumping jacks, jogging in place, etc. If there's no way to add extra exercise in that day, I just do it the next day.
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i did the same yesterday, shouldn't have had that last cocktail!!

so today i went to the gym and burned extra calories, to cover what i was over, plus a few for today...

i'd work back the calories by exercising, not be undereating, as you might risk cracking and binging again if you try to stay too low on your calories!

good luck, and well done for sticking with it! :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I don't usually go over....but it dose happen (like to me yesterday) I will be exercising extra today to make up for it.
    I find on days when I exercise I'm not as hungry...so I try to exercise alot : )
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Do not cut your calories the next day. Think about what caused you to go over, consider alternate ways of handling that situation in the future, and move on. No regrets, no beating yourself up, and just do better the next day. If there is still time left in the day, fit in some exercise to work some of them off so that you're not over by so many. Go for a walk, a run, a bike ride, do a workout DVD, something. Even if you can't work them all off, you can work off some of them, and you will feel better for having done something about it instead of just letting the food win. YOU are the one in control, not the pantry. :)
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Start fresh -IMMEDIATELY. (Dont think your whole day is lost if you went over for one meal.)
    Forgive yourself.
    When I go over my calories and eat 1500 instead of my 1300... or even 2000... I keep in mind that eating 2000 calories may still be better than I have been (:blushing: You know, with the booze and the food and the deserts and the everything else). So In my opinion, I'm okay if I go over a little bit as long as I go over because I wanted something nutritious like that watermelon or that salmon instead of that brownie or that beer.
  • desiree1979
    Options
    First of all, although it seems like it, its not a crisis! You would have to repeat this for a solid week before you'd gain ONE pound!

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_pound.php
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    For me I have a range of calories I eat per day always trying to stick and remain at the lowest range BUT if I go over it I dont sweat it because I have that range cushion....1200-1500 etc.....however if I were to go over like by 500 off my high number I think i would just take a nice 4 mile stroll
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Remember MFP takes into account the deficit. Going over means that you didn't lose the appropriate amount of calories for that day. So if you went OVER 500 calories, and assuming 1lb a week, then you ate your "maintaining calories." You won't lose weight for that day.
    THIS is what I bear in mind any time I go over by 500-700. "Oh wow, I ate at maintenance level instead of weight-loss level for a day. Weird. Oh well." Obviously, if you do that more often than not, you'll maintain more than you'll lose, but it's all in your hands.

Also, as some other posters have said, don't beat yourself up over it. It's a learning process. I look at this process as a way of learning better ways to deal with those tough situations (birthdays, holidays, anniversary dinners, happy hours, you know them); so I didn't get it quite right this time, there will be other times soon enough to practice and get better. Finally, I generally drink a TON of water after a splurge day. Not sure if it physically helps, but it makes me feel better and less bloated.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    There is also a school of thought that supports an occasional day of eating closer to or at your maintenence calories, just to keep your metabolic rate high. This is the theory behind zigzagging your calories up and down, with low days and high days. It's all about how much of a deficit you average out in the long run, not on a day to day basis. I ate high yesterday, but was very low the previous three due to being sick. I look at my weekly numbers to get a good idea on where I am overall.
  • guiltyangel210
    Options
    Hi,

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone does it sometimes. Its better to work it off rather than undereat the next day because you won't be eating your maintaining calories that keep your energy up. If I overeat say 200 calories then I would workout a bit longer the next day or on my next workout day. No point in denying yourself stuff, just be sensible about it. You'll work it out soon enough and then you'll be able to work up to what you know you can and can't have.
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of the things I really like about this site is that it accounts for exercise and such. I think I saw someone say use exercise the next day to eat up those extra calories. The big thing is...don't kick yourself. I use this site to see what I'm actually doing so I can make adjustements as I need. That way...if I mess up...it's no guilt. It just means I have to do something if I want to...or decide I'm okay with what I did. Another thing I like about this site is it keeps you fairly honest if you're honest about what you put in and what you do for exercise.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If I go over, I think about why. If it was a special occasion (hello, Easter?), then I just shrug and get on with my life. If it was to become a pattern (it hasn't yet), I'd need to reassess and make some changes.

I keep in mind that one day is just one day, and I start over fresh the next day. I'll usually drink a ton of water and make a point to exercise first thing in the morning.

The funny thing is that, the more weight I lose, the smaller my stomach seems to get. I felt like I ate a TON of food on Cinco de Mayo, but I only got up to 1900 net cals. (That's less than my maintenance level, so I was still technically at a deficit.)

My advice is to move on and make tomorrow a new day.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    First, I would suggest just being a bit more careful for the next few days to balance the extra 500. Going over like that once in a while isn't going to kill your diet (in fact, allowing yourself a day every once in a while can help you keep going).

Second, you said you've been at this a week and aren't seeing results you want. Relax. It takes more than a week to see results! Even if your goal is 2 lbs a week, that's not a lot really (but it's not as healthy to go more than that, and more risk of gaining it back). It wasn't a week of poor eating that put you where you were when you started; it won't be a week of good eating that'll get you where you want to be. Just be patient, it'll catch up and surprise you!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's only happened a couple of times, and always due to alcohol. If I am not drinking, I don't go over, as I just stop eating when I get to my daily limit.