Muscle soreness

Options
So, is there anything else that can help DOMS go away faster, or is it really just rest alone? Stretching and protein shakes doesn't help a little then?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    warm up and cool down well

eat more protein, helps the muscle repair

I personally like hot bubble baths, but I like them anyway - not sure it helps any and some say it hurts

I don't get DOMS as frequently as I did at the start, nor as bad .. I actually quite enjoy it when it does happen now
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Rest, protein, stretching a lot after a workout, I'm also a fan of the hot bath and working out again the next time. And like rabbitjb, I don't get DOMS as much as I used to.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should eat protein within thirty minutes after you exercise to help with recovery. If you wait more than forty minutes after exercise, it is too late.
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I try and get into the pool just for a couple of lengths and then the steam room for 10 minutes after a workout or indeed nice hot bubble bath. As rabbitjb says I don't get DOMS as much as I used to but I do still get it. its kinda nice to have that ache though
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    jakicooke wrote: »
    I try and get into the pool just for a couple of lengths and then the steam room for 10 minutes after a workout or indeed nice hot bubble bath. As rabbitjb says I don't get DOMS as much as I used to but I do still get it. its kinda nice to have that ache though

Not THIS ache...I can't even straighten my arms. Usually I'm not worried about biceps (or the pain), but we worked them Friday, they're still just as bad (following all of the above, protein hot baths stretching ect), and tomorrow I'm working shoulders again already. I'm going to HAVE to use them too tomorrow, (I know shoulders and triceps go together, but it is for me impossible to not use a little of my biceps as well) pain and all.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    You should eat protein within thirty minutes after you exercise to help with recovery. If you wait more than forty minutes after exercise, it is too late.

I use protein shakes as a supplement as well. I don't eat that much meat. I drink 3 shakes a day. (Or 60grams of protein)
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ha ha yep I know that ache and so does my poor colleague that has to sit opposite me in the office and has to hear all the strange moans and grunts as I get up and down in my chair, I still like it. sometimes it eases as I start my next workout if not I just resort to painkillers and suck it up
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    I guess that's what I need to do then. I don't always mind it, just when it's still sore by the next session. This is a strange one for me because it's usually healed by then. :)
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Glutamine really helps with soreness and I've had some luck with creatine as well.

I find they both help with quicker recovery. Some protein supplements may contain one or both of those -- or you can get them individually.
  • Amberyl
    Options

Not THIS ache...I can't even straighten my arms. Usually I'm not worried about biceps (or the pain), but we worked them Friday, they're still just as bad (following all of the above, protein hot baths stretching ect), and tomorrow I'm working shoulders again already. I'm going to HAVE to use them too tomorrow, (I know shoulders and triceps go together, but it is for me impossible to not use a little of my biceps as well) pain and all.

I feel your pain (literally, I have new muscles in my inner thighs from Saturday) Last time I had this sort of thing, my next training session worked out the soreness by the end of the second set.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Amberyl wrote: »

I feel your pain (literally, I have new muscles in my inner thighs from Saturday) Last time I had this sort of thing, my next training session worked out the soreness by the end of the second set.

I think I may have new muscles in my biceps... :yum: or that's my goal anyway...to build.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Light movement seems to help me with DOMS - gets the blood flowing and moves out the lactic acid and stuff, I guess. I started a kettlebell work out at the beginning of the month and after the first workout I was crazy sore. Did a couple slowish walks on the treadmill between workouts 1 and 2. BCAA supplements during the workout have also seemed to help.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

No
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

No

Must be why it ain't working for me. It takes me 30 minutes to get home from the gym. :disagree:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming, stretching, all help mine.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some chocolate milk after your workout. Always works for me.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    foam roller....works wonders.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

No

Must be why it ain't working for me. It takes me 30 minutes to get home from the gym. :disagree:

DOMS is part and parcel of working new muscle groups/peforming different movements that utilize different muscle groups than you are used to. All the protein and glutamine in the world won't help to eliminate DOMS. Stretching may help to minimize slightly, but understand that whenever you are working a muscle that is unaccustomed to the exercise, you will most likely experience DOMS. Once you are accustomed to performing the movement, DOMS will decrease and eventually disappear.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition & good sleep will sort DOMS, or try taking a BCAA supplement to help muscle recovery & repair. Or, just take some time off.