Runner

Options
How do you warm up/stretch to go out for a run? Say, 30-60 min run? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You may get different opinions, but running is actually a dynamic stretch in and of itself (as opposed to a static stretch, which involves being still)....Running IS the stretch, so I actually stretch AFTER I run....

However, I do a brisk walk (4.5 mph or so) for a few minutes, prior to beginning my run....
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just went over this with my trainer yesterday, as a matter of fact!

He told me to walk for 5-10 minutes. Then he said to stretch out my calves, followed by my hamstrings, followed by my hips area. And then start the run!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I typically walk 5-10 minutes... about a quarter to half a mile.
  • Burgertogo
    Burgertogo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, saying injury free is one the keys.
    Runner’s World Magazine is a great information source, as are articles on the Web.
    One Tip, everyone is different in the way they run, how much and how fast. Taking advice from a friend that runs, 5 min miles might not be a good idea. Find someone that runs YOUR pace and ask him or her for running tips.
    A large part of Running is the amount of things you should learn.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I usually stretch my calves and quads, warm up with brisk walking for 5-7 min then start my run. Cool down the same way only in reverse.. gradually slow my pace down for 5 min or so, then a nice long stretch for everything.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    NADA!! just go run...
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm with the first poster. I just start off at a slow jog and increase my speed as I feel warmed up. You should not stretch cold muscles. Walking first is good too.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wish that I could do a better job with stretching before and after but I usually just walk about 5 minutes then start my run.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I ran track and cross country in school, and so I'm not a stranger to running, however, back then we did all kinds of static stretches before practice and before races. Since then, I've learned that static stretches aren't good before working out but I need to stretch my calves good first at least because I've had a little pain in my shin. I don't think it's a shin splint, just a little discomfort, but that's why I was just curious what everyone else does before running. Thanks for the feedback.