Protein

Options
Hi!
I have been doing MFP for about a month, I noticed that I usually come close to my recommended calorie amount, I am close on fat and carbs too, but I am almost consistently over on protein, I eat alot of salmon, chicken, lean beef, etc... I am sure this is the reason.
My question is does anyone know what the negative effects are if you are pretty much in line on everything else but protein is often high?
THANKS!!!
Kelly

Replies

• mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    don't worry about protein overages unless you are hundreds of grams over.
  • KellyPearl
    KellyPearl Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Bvanniekerk
    Bvanniekerk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my first week. and I also have the same problem with the protein intake.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The default %ages for MFP are 55% Carb, 30% Fat and 15% protein. These are not written in stone however and do vary from person to person. These are simply recommendations and you can modify them according to your goals using the Custom Goals options.

For example...I myself am doing intense strength training and as such I aim for 1g of Protein / lb of body weight. As such, I use a 45% carb, 35% Protein and 20% fat ratio in my own diet.

It all depends on how you're eating and how you're training.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    . I use a 50% carb, 30% Protein and 20% fat ratio for my diet and that works great for me. I don't really go over protein anymore
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings (under Goals) to 35 : 35 : 30 percent each for protein, carbs, and fat. It works better for me, and I have a strong famly history of diabetes, so I prefer to go lower carb and higher protein. If you are doing weight lifting you need more protein than MFP recommends by default.
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I have an opposite problem. I am never meeting my calorie goal and am usually at least 200 less but I have only gone over in the other areas by 1 or 2 a time or two...i struggle to get the calories in and find it hard to find foods that will give me that calories without putting me way over in protein and carbs.
  • KellyPearl
    KellyPearl Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I didn't even know you could change the default settings for cal/carb/fat/protein etc...
    Your answers were a huge help!