Rice flour....

Options
Within the last couple of years, it' s been my job to grocery shop. I have a plant nursery on the property; and with the exception of winter (dormancy); I am plenty busy.

So; my goal had been to keep easy/fast meals on hand.

In early December, when back to a goal of losing weight which morphed into healthy eating - I realized that if I had a cow & chicken: we (the 2 of us) could eat for 4-6 months without any additional purchases. And, there are/were some silly purchases for recipes never completed. And I started looking at some of the dates in the pantry....

My goal for 'calories' is: delicious, filling, healthy (with some treats) and relatively easy.
My 'food' goal (meaning, what I keep in the house) is fresh and healthy. (Note to self: grocery store in 10 minutes away!)

My husband and I are both cursed with the affliction of not wasting any food.

So; I have been slowly incorporating the boxed foods (higher cals per portion and that damned sodium!) into meals that work for my calorie allowance.

I have what appears to be ~4 cups of rice flour. It's white in color: searching recipes on line - some recipes call for a specific type and the package is not marked.

I found a good article about the differences between all-purpose & rice flour: livestrong.com/article/555648-the-differences-in-cooking-with-rice-flour-and-all-purpose-flour/

In an attempt to couple one dumb purchase with another - fruitcake fruit bought for 2013 Christmas season; I was thinking of making a fruitcake with the rice flour. I've never been a fan of fruitcake, but the fruits looked yummy and making it myself fresh; was wondering if it would be more tasty.

I found this recipe, and my only concern would be the apricot jam - I'd have to figure out where to get a small quantity as I don't want another boat anchor in the fridge.
deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-rich-fruit-cake/

I do have the corn flour (yep, another silly choice), but I don't have walnuts & dates. Both expensive. Concern: baking an expensive food crime. Fruitcake is pretty much a food crime; but husband likes it. Maybe I can fix him. :open_mouth:

So; my questions:
1.) Anyone ever try to make a fruitcake or another sweetbread with rice flour? Any tricks, would you do it again? My intent is not to use all of the rice flour; just get it moving.
2.) We do have wheat gluten on hand; husband does make a lot of delicious breads. Neither of us have gluten issues; so that would be an option with rice flour.
3.) Perhaps I should just make the fruitcake with all purpose and save the rice flour for dumplings. I'm out of all-purpose flour... hesitated putting it on the shopping list.
4.) Maybe there is another recipe for those delicious looking fruits.

Looking for any constructive ideas and thoughts. Fruitcake haters - stand down. I know already. :smile:

Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help, I've tried to sub wheat flour with rice, doesn't work. Do you really hesitate to buy more wheat flour because you have a little rice flour, sorry that made my brain fall out. Good luck.
  • hopiemama33
    hopiemama33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you don't have gluten issues you might try using a small portion of the rice flour (like one fourth) is your regular recipes. The rice flour will have a different texture and absorb liquids differently than the wheat flour, but usually you can partially substitute without major catastrophe.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I do not bake with rice flour alone, but will mix it with other flours for baking. Rice flour tends to make the recipe dense, gritty, and fragile.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used rice flour in shortbread, but it's a pretty simply recipe requiring fairly basic/standard pantry type ingredients that it might serve you well. Here's an example: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11609/shortbread It would require picking up more regular flour though...

And y'know, shortbread is tasty :smile:
  • ItsMe0909
    Options
    I've tried to sub wheat flour with rice, doesn't work. Do you really hesitate to buy more wheat flour because you have a little rice flour, sorry that made my brain fall out.

Thanks- yes, thanks my concern about the rice flour. I'm not saying all purpose flour is off the table. I didn't post a pic of my pantry or elaborate on the rest of the flour types we have. Had I; you would have agreed that holding off for a month might be the way to go.

:)

• ItsMe0909
    Options
    jumblejups wrote: »
    I've only ever used rice flour in shortbread....

Thanks to all for the suggestions of limiting the rice flour. I think that will work. I've never run into European recipes until today; but very convenient that grams are used!

Thanks much!