No cook protein

Options
I'm a lousy cook and preparing food is so tedious to me that sometimes I'd rather not eat than go through the bother of fixing up a meal. Which of course makes eating healthy quite bit more difficult. Luckily I have a understanding OH who usually prepares our main meal, but I can't go pestering him whenever I'm hungry or feel like having chicken or eggs or whatnot.

I've been tracking on MFP for a bit over a week now and I seem to be eating far less protein than I should be (and a lot more carbs). So my question is, how can I get more protein, without having to cook anything?
Would these be a decent source of protein for example - http://www.tallegg.ee/eng/products/products/_broiler-hams/chicken-fillet-ham-sliced (with a slice of wholegrain bread, some cucumber and tomatoes and perhaps some cottage cheese).
- What else could I eat or snack on that would give a good amount of protein and as few calories as possible, whilst requiring minimal cooking or preparation?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, canned diced chicken, nut butters, canned beans. Dairy products, hard boiled eggs.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lunch meat, cheese, yogut, etc.

Also, you can or food in large batches with minimal cooking. I will cook 10 lbs of chicken in a crockpot, then shred and freeze in individual portions. Very little actual cooking for that, and it makes about 15 portions with 35g of protein per serving. You can also bo IL eggs by the carton and save for later. Hell, I think you can buy them pre-boiled if you want to spend the extra money.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky, cheese, protein bars, peanut butter
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    +1 for canned tuna. On bread, with a bit of mayo?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    During the week I rarely cook my breakfast. I have cottage cheese or yogurt and berries. If you don't want to cut up berries, get blueberries or raspberries, or even blackberries (although I like to cut those up). That is plenty of protein if you eat enough of it, I usually eat at least 170 grams of the cottage cheese or yogurt. Cottage cheese is very high in protein. I 2nd the hard boiled eggs too, although you get more bang for your buck with cottage cheese. For lunch you could have fruit salad with some kind of cheese, apples with cheese are really good, or apples with peanut butter and cheese is even better. Dinner is tough without cooking, maybe a turkey breast or chicken sandwich.
  • stephhoward7
    stephhoward7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt for a sweet protein snack. The ones I eat are 12 G protein for 80 cals, so not too bad. Then of course there are protein powder shakes. Smoked salmon is also a good snack. You can also buy pre-cooked shrimp.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna is your best source of protein for the calories.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Lox, chicken/turkey pepperoni, cottage cheese, nonfat lattes :smile:
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I buy pre-cooked turkey burgers and chicken breasts to keep at work. I just put them in the microwave for about a minute, then cut them up and throw them into a salad or a cup of rice.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Veggie burgers, especially the soy based ones (like boca) microwave really well. Just heat and eat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is a common challenge for diabetics trying to balance every snack with a bit of protein. I've blogged my list to avoid repetition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Which reminds me! Boca burgers. http://www.bocaburger.com/
    Vegetarian subtitutes stay fresher longer than real meat. Have these packs around and you can nuke a burger whenever you need to.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I'm going to put together a list and go check out what we have in our stores :smile:
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is deli turkey with a dab of cottage cheese (I use 2%) and a tomato slice, all rolled together. I'll eat five or six of those for ~150 calories and ~30g protein.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    protein shake. I mix mine with protein powder, 1/2 a banana, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and ice cubes - tastes just like a banana milk shake & is quite filling. ~200 cal, 20-30g of protein, and minimal fat & carbs (depending on protein powder chosen).
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    string cheese, deli meats, rotossiere chicken from the grocery store deli, tuna, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, turkey pepperoni, pork rinds, protein shakes
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese? straight from the pot.. no cooking nor dishes
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein shakes? You could just drink one and then eat whatever else you want.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Some that I turn to are lunch meat, cheeses, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, boiled egg, jerky, tuna