Motivation is key! Seems I am always looking for my keys!

Options
I am a successful restaraunt manager, mother and wife. So you can imagine I work a lot of hours and have a hard time finding time for just myself. I currently am trying lose 29 lbs, make changes to maintain a healthier life style but find that I am struggling with not losing family time to do this. My very supportive husband does see that time spent at the gym does make me a happier person at home but I also really like my kids and miss them dearly ( I work 50 hours a week too)
How do I do it all?

Replies

• kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. I am currently working 40 hours a week and doing my masters full time at the same time. Trying to fit any exercise in is hard some days. My SO is really supportive like your husband, however I can tell that he misses me cause I'm not home very much. I have found that incorporating him into my exercising has worked. We will try to do something active together once or twice a week like skating. It helps to bring your exercise and family together.

I have also tried waking up 45 minutes earlier and doing a 30 minute workout in the morning before he is awake. I usually just find a youtube video to do. It's not a long workout but at least it is something. That way I do not have to sacrifice any 'family' time.
  • motherzeus
    Options
    I like the way your thinking.... And I am going to use your ideas ... Nice to hear from others out there.
  • motherzeus
    Options
    Would love to create a support system
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's hard but you have to do it. I brought my son along with me on long walks... but he was 4 years old so he can't really say no. But he'd also go on hikes with me for 6 miles. He's amazing. You can also try taking breaks at work to get in extra exercise.
  • cpcolombia
    cpcolombia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to feel guilty about taking time for me alone at the gym. Now my husband and I go once a week together. I do YouTube videos for aerobics and HIIT exercises on my own when they're sleeping or watching TV. We have incorporated more family time that is more active such as playing the kinnect going to a park ice-skating rollerskating or even bike riding.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Then dont worry about gym and just fit it into normal life. You sound like you are on your feet rushing around. Maybe the area you need to look at is just the size of your deficit from food and making sure it is accurate. Couple that with realistic expectations and you can get there in 6 months. The only way you will fit more time in is to be better organised and prioritise, then make some tough choices.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ^^
    This.
    If you are busy running around at the restuarant all day, I'd first focus on your deficit. Being able to move all day is great so take advantage of it! I sit at a desk all day and it is super hard to get moving most days. I bought a fitbit device and it has really helped.

Also, try taking an hour for your lunch. Get a gym membership and go there. OR if you live close enough, head home and do a youtube workout. For me....this has been the KEY in exercising and being able to spend my evenings with my family.

If your lunch won't work....do a high intensity body weight workout in the morning or in the evening for 10 to 15 minutes. That is all you really need with those workouts. I do it, and I love it. You CAN spare 10 minutes at night. No one would notice :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - keep in mind that you can lose weight through diet alone. That is the way this tool is designed...your activity level is set to account for your daily hum drum and your calorie goal is based on that...hit your goal and you will lose weight. Exercise is an "extra" activity.

2 - getting in a solid workout doesn't require hours and hours. for basic health and fitness you need about 150 minutes of moderate activity per week. that's only 2.5 hours per week.

3 - motivation is a fleeting thing...I train right around 10 hours per week and I'm not always motivated to do so...at this point much of what I do is habit and I just look at it the same as anything else in my day that needs to get done.

4 - start small...you don't have to radically change overnight. Start by getting in a good hour or so 3x weekly of some moderate activity...or 30 minutes 4-5x weekly and go from there.

5 - understand that you're never going to be perfect...you're going to miss workouts from time to time because life happens...you're going to have good days and bad days...when you can acknowledge that, it really helps...when you can acknowledge that, you can also acknowledge that you don't need to "start over"...you just need to get up and get back to it the next day.
  • motherzeus
    Options
    Thank you cwolf13 .... I have started by watching food intake and that is the biggest thing I have to correct. Smaller portions
  • motherzeus
    Options
    So made it to the gym for an hour hike up hill this morning and feeling good about it. Put the boys child on the bus... Kissed the hubby on the head and headed out the Gym
  • motherzeus
    Options
    Off the couch.... Off the couch .... The keys are not on the couch!!!!!