Body Fat

Options
Hello, Everyone!! I haven't been using the forums much so this is a good way to start :)

So, my mom knows how much of a workout freak I am so she bought me a scale that measures weight AND body fat. Well i was pretty disappointed to see that my body fat is 35.5%!! that is A LOT! :/ I don't feel healthy having that body fat. Any suggestions besides weight training? Like eating habits.

For now my goal is to drop 5-10% of body fat every month until I am at a healthy body fat. Is this do-able? I don't know much about body fat - i should do more research on this, huh? Haha. Thank you in advance for the suggestions guys! : ) ♥

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Not to be a perv or anything, but I was told women have more body fat because they have breasts, which is in fact, fatty tissue. You might wanna eat more chicken, fish and turkey. Since I have switched from pork products, to turkey products, the fat has been rolling off. But my work outs have also intensified. Good luck!
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    MUFAs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is a huge talk about how a healthy lifestyle and mufa's help reduce body fat. even inches but not so much weight its kinda weird.
    mufas are monounsatured fatty acids.... avacado. nuts, olives, olive oils, dark chocolate.

eat the chocolate in very moderate ways... they say to eat a mufa at every meal

i wake up and eat an avocado just sayin and i feel great gives me energy some fiber and potassium its great
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Not to be a perv or anything, but I was told women have more body fat because they have breasts, which is in fact, fatty tissue. You might wanna eat more chicken, fish and turkey. Since I have switched from pork products, to turkey products, the fat has been rolling off. But my work outs have also intensified. Good luck!

yeah lean proteins are insanely great.. 4 ounce of chicken breast vs 4 ounces pork is pretty big on calories
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    haha silicone/saline is not fat!!!...
    Im very small in that department and I still had a lot of BF...

you need to weight train to lose the fat permanently or at least so it wont creep in back fast
  • hulietta
    hulietta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    See this chart for a healthy body fat percentage.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

You are not that far off from a healthy body fat. Depending on your age, if you lost just 5% fat, you'd be in a healthy range. Please don't confuse this with BMI.

Good luck!
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! ♥ HAHA 'MUFA' - that's awesome. I hate avocados though - hmm, unless I eat it with something maybe. :) Yeah, weight training sounds good. I better take out my 8 pounders and crank up TurboFire! : )
  • MariaAlexandra
    Options
    See this chart for a healthy body fat percentage.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

You are not that far off from a healthy body fat. Depending on your age, if you lost just 5% fat, you'd be in a healthy range. Please don't confuse this with BMI.

Good luck!

Thanks for the chart!! : ) That does help look at where I am right now. I'm so excited right now! Can't wait to start my workouts now.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI--the "calipers" that are used to calculate body fat percentages (most gyms have them) are much more accurate than the little machines that you hold or the scales that measure body fat...
  • MariaAlexandra
    Options
    Just an FYI--the "calipers" that are used to calculate body fat percentages (most gyms have them) are much more accurate than the little machines that you hold or the scales that measure body fat...

Really? Hmm, any idea where I can find them in stores?
  • MariaAlexandra
    Options
    Reading on it, I found out that devices send a current through your body; depending how slow or fast it take that current to travel back to your body - it calculates the body fat. So the devices are pretty accurate, as well.

"Given that the current moves slower through fat as opposed to lean body mass (water, muscle, bone), the device can calculate body fat percentage based on the time it takes for the electric current to travel through the body"
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Reading on it, I found out that devices send a current through your body; depending how slow or fast it take that current to travel back to your body - it calculates the body fat. So the devices are pretty accurate, as well.

"Given that the current moves slower through fat as opposed to lean body mass (water, muscle, bone), the device can calculate body fat percentage based on the time it takes for the electric current to travel through the body"

But they're actually horrendously inaccurate. They're so dependent on hydration, which fluctuates all day every day, that the readings can change hugely.

I'm about to buy a set of calipers for that reason. They only cost about £10-20.
  • MariaAlexandra
    Options

But they're actually horrendously inaccurate. They're so dependent on hydration, which fluctuates all day every day, that the readings can change hugely.I'm about to buy a set of calipers for that reason. They only cost about £10-20.

That's also true. Yeah, it did mention that. Hmm, my mom wasted money on that scale though, so for now it's what I got! Haha
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    haha silicone/saline is not fat!!!...
    Im very small in that department and I still had a lot of BF...

you need to weight train to lose the fat permanently or at least so it wont creep in back fast

Same thing. Im not a boob guy. Im more of a hip thighs leg man myself. But when my sister lost 65 pounds, her tits dissappeared too. Just saying.