I am not meeting my caloric intake for the day, is this bad? Also,Please help explain net calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The human body is an amazing thing, when food is plentiful your body packs on weight as fat, when food is in short supply the body will slow down and burn less calories. Eating too little will put your body in starvation mode, your metabolism will slow and weight loss will be minimal.

You need to eat enough that your body doesn't think you are starving.

Science contradicts your post. The physical experiences of POWs, those with extreme eatig disorders, etc contradict your post.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »
    RBXChas wrote: »
    You can check out this link to read about setting your calories and going from there:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes, you'll lose weight eating that little, but it won't take very long for you to become miserable eating that little. Long-term, you'll see plenty of negative health effects, some of which you'll be able to see, some of which you won't. That's if you continue eating that little, but my guess is that the pendulum will swing the other way, and soon.

+1 for sexy pants!

I feel like it should be required reading for everyone signing up for MFP. It really is helpful, and it contains links to other helpful posts. It's a lot of reading but oh so informative. It changed my perspective even after I'd been at this for a while.

Yeah knowledge is power, even when it comes to weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Go to Home>Settings>Diary Settings and then set to Public.

You say you're weighing but in your OP you say you estimated the oil you used. If you're estimating things like oil then it's likely you're eating more than you think.
  • moshispins
    Options
    I have just been eating when I am hungry, I refuse to deprive myself. I certainly do not eat so little calories every day (or like you said, why would I need to lose weight). It is when we eat out that is a problem which we have done in abundance recently. We aren't doing that anymore and I am just home cooking for myself, when I am hungry, with what I have at home.

So yes, you make a point, but I am more worried about if this is an ongoing trend from here on out without the eating out, if it will be a problem.
  • moshispins
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Go to Home>Settings>Diary Settings and then set to Public.

You say you're weighing but in your OP you say you estimated the oil you used. If you're estimating things like oil then it's likely you're eating more than you think.

Sure, but I have only been on MFP for one day so there is not much info there. I have been using my phone and just keeping notes before yesterday.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    moshispins wrote: »

Sure, but I have only been on MFP for one day so there is not much info there. I have been using my phone and just keeping notes before yesterday.

In that case you don't really know what you're eating yet. Log accurately for a few weeks, with scale, and then see where you are. And make sure your accurate logging includes measuring things like oil. Do not estimate, even if you think you're overestimating.
  • RunMamaMaya
    RunMamaMaya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary for Sunday where you only hit 782 calories. You did not eat any real food for breakfast that may be a good place to start. A cup of tea for breakfast isn't enough. You also didn't have a snack. By including a breakfast and snack you should hit your minimum intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your food diary for Sunday where you only hit 782 calories. You did not eat any real food for breakfast that may be a good place to start. A cup of tea for breakfast isn't enough. You also didn't have a snack. By including a breakfast and snack you should hit your minimum intake.

Some people don't eat breakfast
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    one major thing I noticed in your diary - you are not WEIGHING all of your solids. ie:

2 tsp sugar
    1 slice cheese
    1 tbsp mayo

ALL solids should be weighed with a food scale. Only liquids should be measured with measuring cups/spoons. :)

And honestly, it looks like you're simply taking the serving size off the packaging of items (ie bread, cold cuts, creamer). I'd bet money that your bread was more than 2oz. I like to use grams to measure, because there's no real math involved to figure out the number of servings (ie if my bread weighs in as 2.7 oz, I need to figure out how many servings that .7 is - but if I weigh in grams...and most entries in the DB have either a 1g or 100g serving size...then it's easy....so if my bread weighs in at 60g, then with a 1g serving size, I'd have 60 servings...or with a 100g serving size, I'd have .6 servings).

Also...you have a "homemade" entry for garlic mashed potatoes. Unless that is a recipe that YOU created, then you have NO IDEA what actually went into those potatoes, so you have no idea if the calorie count is correct. For homemade items, don't use the database...use the recipe builder or log the ingredients individually.

HTH! :)
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    moshispins wrote: »
    It is when we eat out that is a problem which we have done in abundance recently. We aren't doing that anymore and I am just home cooking for myself, when I am hungry, with what I have at home.

So yes, you make a point, but I am more worried about if this is an ongoing trend from here on out without the eating out, if it will be a problem.

You don't get to a point where you need to lose 75 pounds from eating out "too much" "recently." If you truly are 75 pounds over weight and now, all of a sudden, you're having trouble eating more than 800 calories per day, I'd consult a physician.

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I looked at your dairy and you are not eating enough proper food, what kind of calories you eat matter, start sending out friend requests and see what kind of food fit people are consuming, I would be happy to give you some pointers, send me a friend request if you are interested ...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    moshispins wrote:
    I have noticed that I am not reaching my goal caloric intake for the day. I was supposed to have 1640, but I only reached 782 yesterday (and that was using a generous estimate of the oil I used for cooking). My husband seems to think this will prevent me from losing weight, is this true?
    The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than your body burns.
    If you are eating fewer calories than your body is burning, you will lose weight.
    Your body will not (cannot) "hold onto" or store calories when you're eating at a deficit. It has to have energy (calories) to run, and will burn what's available. It prefers carbs (glucose, then glycogen), then it burns fat, and as a distant third it burns muscle (the conversion is inefficient, but better than starving; this is the true "starvation mode", and it takes a long time of abusing your body to get there).
    That is why you need to eat at a moderate deficit, not a VLCD (very low calorie diet).

If your goal weight is 164 lb, and your target calories are 1640, eating as low as 1300 would probably be OK and will get you the nutrition you need.
    I seriously doubt you actually had only 782. You would be starving (unless you're anorexic, and then there's more trouble there than strangers on the interwebs can help you with) and probably feeling poorly.
    Weigh &/or measure all your food until you learn portions. You are almost certainly eating more than you think.
    Choose the food entries which are the specific brand & weight that you're eating, or for fresh foods use the "USDA" entries.
    Also, I have already read the definition but I am still confused, can someone help explain how net calories work?
    Don't feel too bad... neither my doctor nor my dietician had ever heard of such a thing either.
    Total calories eaten - exercise calories = net calories
    But now that you know what it is, ignore it.
    Find your healthy goal weight (based on BMI) and eat 10x that in calories to get there.
    When you hit a plateau, drop 50-100 calories & wait several weeks to see the result. Don't go under 1200 cal/day unless your doctor says it's OK or you're very short.
    Another reason to ignore exercise calories is that most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned. If you're really hungry at the end of the day once in a while, have 1/3 - 1/2 of your exercise calories that day as a snack.
    I am sorry if this has already been answered or is in the wrong place
    There is a search function, and while it's not the best, it will show you the threads which have dealt with whatever topic you ask it about. Yes, this has been dealt with many times.

I did a newbie help post which includes links to helpful info such as sexypants, accurate logging, goal setting (weight, calories, macros), motivation...

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    Options
    The human body is an amazing thing, when food is plentiful your body packs on weight as fat, when food is in short supply the body will slow down and burn less (sic) calories. Eating too little will put your body in starvation mode, your metabolism will slow and weight loss will be minimal.
    You need to eat enough that your body doesn't think you are starving.
    Um, no. Ignore that, it's bunkum.
    Science contradicts your post. The physical experiences of POWs, those with extreme eatig disorders, etc contradict your post.
    Yes, there is a "starvation mode".
    Yes, it really happens.
    Yes, after enough time of a VLCD the metabolism will slow.
    No, it's unlikely anyone in the modern industrialized world, esp. someone who's working to lose weight and has access to a computer, will be starving (unless it's intentionally, as with "eating disorders").
    If the OP has 75 lb to lose to get to a healthy weight, she will not starve for a long, long time.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    I looked at your dairy and you are not eating enough proper food, what kind of calories you eat matter, start sending out friend requests and see what kind of food fit people are consuming
    For weight loss, the only thing which matters is calories in / calories out.
    For nutrition & health, yes, what you eat matters.

To be fair, we only have 2 days to look at at this point.
    However...
    Increase your intake of vegetables, and to some degree fruits (though they have more sugar, it's healthy sugar & balanced with fiber). They will give you the nutrition you need with few calories and with their bulk you'll feel more full on less.

Have protein at every meal - it keeps you feeling un-hungry longer.

EAT BREAKFAST!!!! Ideally, have half your calories for breakfast (look at that newbie help post for a link to the blog post with the studies), but at least eat something substantial.
  • LookAWalrus
    LookAWalrus Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    one major thing I noticed in your diary - you are not WEIGHING all of your solids. ie:

2 tsp sugar
    1 slice cheese
    1 tbsp mayo

ALL solids should be weighed with a food scale. Only liquids should be measured with measuring cups/spoons. :)

And honestly, it looks like you're simply taking the serving size off the packaging of items (ie bread, cold cuts, creamer). I'd bet money that your bread was more than 2oz. I like to use grams to measure, because there's no real math involved to figure out the number of servings (ie if my bread weighs in as 2.7 oz, I need to figure out how many servings that .7 is - but if I weigh in grams...and most entries in the DB have either a 1g or 100g serving size...then it's easy....so if my bread weighs in at 60g, then with a 1g serving size, I'd have 60 servings...or with a 100g serving size, I'd have .6 servings).

Also...you have a "homemade" entry for garlic mashed potatoes. Unless that is a recipe that YOU created, then you have NO IDEA what actually went into those potatoes, so you have no idea if the calorie count is correct. For homemade items, don't use the database...use the recipe builder or log the ingredients individually.

HTH! :)

I'm glad I read this because I've been weighing my solids using measuring cups/spoons and going by what the package said. Thanks for posting this.
  • moshispins
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, everyone. I am still really new at this and adjusting to the whole eating better and exercising thing. I appreciate all the info!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The above posters seem to have the advice pretty well covered. I just want to underscore the importance of weighing your food and not relying on the database for correct amounts. I noticed on your breakfast today (which looks great, BTW) this: Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 2 large 203 3 15 14 342 2
    Any egg I've ever made is only about 70 calories each, and the sodium surely isn't 342 for two. Double check that, and search by brands whenever possible.
    Good luck!
  • moshispins
    Options
    lindzgayle wrote: »
    The above posters seem to have the advice pretty well covered. I just want to underscore the importance of weighing your food and not relying on the database for correct amounts. I noticed on your breakfast today (which looks great, BTW) this: Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 2 large 203 3 15 14 342 2
    Any egg I've ever made is only about 70 calories each, and the sodium surely isn't 342 for two. Double check that, and search by brands whenever possible.
    Good luck!

Thank you! I tried to eat something I would actually like for breakfast and this breakfast burrito ended up HUGE! I do not usually eat this much so early in the day. Eek! But, I guess it will be good to keep me energized for exercise. :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Just a quick glance at your diary showed two big miscaclulations. You have 16oz of mashed potatoes as 140 calories...I came up with 395. Your 4oz of chicken thighs are entered as 120 cals, mine are 220. I've been doing this for a long time and have developed my own database based on my own recipes. It's going to take time to figure out the true calories in what you're eating (and even then it's just an estimate). In the meantime, be patient, don't give up...keep at it!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Another thing...don't eat breakfast early in the morning if you don't want to. I can't eat first thing in the morning -- makes me nauseated. I start with coffee around 7am, then have a Greek yogurt around 10 am, then maybe a protein bar around noon. "Lunch" doesn't really happen for me until after 2 pm. Your body really doesn't care what time you eat.