Best gym to join in Canada?

Options
I have never been to a gym. I have been researching the best one and most cost effective one to join. Opinions?

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your preferences are. If you like group classes, then Goodlife is pretty good for that. If you are looking for personal training, then I've heard Extreme hires decent trainers.

My favorite gym to date and where I am a member now, is my local community centre believe it or not....it's a new facility, has state of the art everything, including indoor track and pool, is clean, and is never crowded. :)

Seeing that this is your first time joining, I would honestly suggest Goodlife. They have women's only clubs, the classes are super fun, and typically have great camaraderie, and there are several different types (unless it's changed in the last 8 years). They also have multiple locations that you're able to use.

• bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use goodlife and really like it! The classes are fun, trainers and staff are helpful and nice, and the price is reasonable.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am all for Goodlife as well. I don't have one in my small town, but I have been to them many times, and am very pleased with everything they have to offer. I wish we had one in our town...
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    cheree1969 wrote: »
    I have never been to a gym. I have been researching the best one and most cost effective one to join. Opinions?

The best and most cost effective gym to join is the one you keep going to.

What exercises are you looking to do? Choose a regimen before a gym. A weight lifter, a swimmer, or a martial artist are all going to pick very different gyms, at very different price ranges.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's the gym that's closest/most convenient to get to. Community centres, the Y, and private gyms aren't that different wrt price in Canada ($50-80 with bells and whistles).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Unless, yeah, there's some specific class or activity you're wanting to do.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Women's Fitness Centres of Canada have really nice and fairly brand new facilities and it's women only ;)