Not seeing any movement on the scale

Hi All,

I recently logged back in to myfitnesspal after gaining 35 lbs. I've had success on here in the past with logging all my meals. I've been very accurately tracking for 23 days now, i purchased a food scale and have been making much healthier choices. I just purchased a new scale and each time i weigh myself I'm up about half a lb.

I also was recently diagnosed with several nodules in my thyroid and a slighlty elevated TSH level, i was put on 25 mg of levothyroine daily.

Does anyone else have trouble with this I thought that with tracking my intake and staying at 1400 calories a day and starting the medicine that should help my thyroid function better, that i would see some sort of results and not keep gaining weight.

Any input would be so appreciated, i'm just so frustrated :(

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Hmmmm. How recently did you begin taking your medication? Has it been a few weeks at least? I would say keep tracking your calories and be 100% honest with yourself about what you eat. You say you eat 1400, but you may be eating more than you realize.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I started taking it the beginning of January. I've read it can take a few weeks to build up in your system, but I thought I would at least lose weight from eating better. I mean during November December I probaly ate at least 2000, probably closer to 2500 calories a day.

Oh i'm brutally honest, even when i go over i log everything. I weigh all my foods as well on a food scale, on things i can't weigh i estimate high just so I know I'm covered.

I lost 40 lbs last time logging everything on myfitnesspal, but at that point I wasn't having the problems with my thyroid, at least to my knowledge.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Can you open your food diary? Generally the issues are consistency and accuracy. And since you have a scale, the helps with accuracy.

Also, since your calories are low, have you considered a lower carb approach?
  • auntstephie321
    I made my diary public. I haven't tried low carb at this point. I'm not eating a lot of breads or pastas though.
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    What kind of tests did they do on your thyroid nodules?

If your thyroid isn't functioning weight loss may be slower, but if they get your levels correct you can lose weight.

I have had a total thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer and have lost 6.2 lbs in 4 weeks.

• auntstephie321
    They tested tsh, t3 and t4, shall ultrasound and thyroid uptake scan. I have 11 nodules but my tsh is still in the normal range, it was 2.9 in December, I started medication early January and go for new blood work in February.

I've thought for years there was something wrong with it but my blood work was always within range. When I lost a lot of weight years ago my level was 1.9 and I felt great. Then all of a sudden something changed and I was always tired and gaining weight and now my level is 2.9 so I'm thinking it's definitely related.

I'm so confused though, cuz even given that, with 1400 calories for the majority of there weeks I wouldn't think I'd have an increase each time I step on the scale
  • psuLemon
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    I made my diary public. I haven't tried low carb at this point. I'm not eating a lot of breads or pastas though.

It may be beneficial as most days your proteins are pretty low.
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    The best doctor for thyroid issues is an endocrinologist. Good luck on your health issues. My thyroid levels were always in the normal range, even with my nodules.

There is a group for those who have hypothyroid issues. They may have more suggestions for you.

Are you using a food scale to weigh everything? Serving sizes are eye opening and very easy to misjudge.

• auntstephie321
    Thanks for everyone's input. I will check out the recommended blogs when I'm out of work. Again thank you all so much, hopefully I can figure this out
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    perhaps add some exercise and see if that makes a difference?
  • auntstephie321
    Yeah I've been thinking about that. I get nervous with exercise because I frequently end with an injury to some part of my back :( I have to figure out what I can do
  • auntstephie321
    The best doctor for thyroid issues is an endocrinologist. Good luck on your health issues. My thyroid levels were always in the normal range, even with my nodules.

There is a group for those who have hypothyroid issues. They may have more suggestions for you.

Are you using a food scale to weigh everything? Serving sizes are eye opening and very easy to misjudge.

Most everything, unless it's something easily measurable, like an individual serving item.
  • psuLemon
    Yeah I've been thinking about that. I get nervous with exercise because I frequently end with an injury to some part of my back :( I have to figure out what I can do

I would probably do a structure program and start with light weight or even just start with body resistance exercising. If you go to a gym, then maybe one or two days with a personal trainer to make sure form is good. Because if food is good, then it will reduce injury.
  • auntstephie321
    psulemon wrote: »

I would probably do a structure program and start with light weight or even just start with body resistance exercising. If you go to a gym, then maybe one or two days with a personal trainer to make sure form is good. Because if food is good, then it will reduce injury.

Thanks, I'll probably be at home, no trainer. I used to do Pilates years ago. Maybe I'll give that a shot again, I have a reformer just never figured out how to use it properly
  • psuLemon
    If you have back issues, stretch (yoga/pilates) and core exercises will be greatly beneficial. I had sciatic issues for awhile, so I foam rolled or stretched for an hour or two a night and it has helped with my issues.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (for me, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Logging works.