small multiple meals

Options
I’ve been diagnosed with crohns and finding eating a large meal gives me pain
its been suggested to me that I try eating regular smaller meals
has anyone tried this and have any ideas of what meals to have seems to work out about 300 cals per meal for me

Replies

• abk1968
    abk1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I do this style of eating, not due to tummy troubles but just personal preference. Here's kind of the way I do it. Suppose in the AM you have a little bowl of oatmeal. Couple hours later, a boiled egg. Couple hours later, banana. Next, yogurt....Sort of like, think of things you would make into a lunch or a dinner, and break them down into their elements, eating one part every couple hours. Does that make some sense?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, if you struggle to get enough calories, eat higher calorie foods. But meal timing and the number of meals is highly individualized. Definitely listen to your body and figure out a routine.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do something like gothchiq because I tend to eat too much at sit down meals. I find it easier to keep track of how much I eat this way and have more control over my hunger. I just enter the foods in MFP using the meals to indicate the time of day I ate. 6 to 11am I enter as breakfast, 11am to 4 pm I enter as lunch and after 4pm I enter as dinner.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It works for me. I eat as usual, just much smaller portions. I measure out everything.
  • MiriLi2015
    MiriLi2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can actually rename your meals as well, I have Pre-Breakfast, Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, and Dinner. I added times to the names as well for mine
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you just have to be mindful of your serving size. i'd be hard-pressed to cook a meal that is only 300 calories... but a big meal that can be measured into 300 cal sizes.

for instance this: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/kale-chorizo-frittata/ i made the other day. plugged it into the recipe thing on MFP and it gave me 272 calories per serving.
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! I like to eat smaller meals and snacks to control blood sugar. I have a combination of protein/carbs at each meal/snack. Eg snacks: Babybel light/apple slices, 1/2 cup black beans with tsp of pico de gallo, 4 triscuit rosemary flavor/1 oz cheddar cheese, kashi granola bar. For lunch I usually eat at work a meatless Lean cuisine or WW meal/greek yogurt. Dinner is regular balanced meal with the family but control portion sizes. Good luck on your journey!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat smaller meals or snacks throughout the day but not so much at dinner. I am finding that small works better for me between breakfast and dinner. I usually eat breakfast around 7:30, then by 10:30 I feel like I need a snack. Then I eat lunch around 12 or 12:30, nothing big, then a small snack around 3, then dinner at 6:30. If I have room in my calories and still feel like I need a snack, I will have something. I don't end up feeling like crap when I do it that way.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I do it and it works for me. The reason I do it is because I have type 2 diabetes and it helps regulate my blood sugar.
  • abk1968
    Options
    thanks for the input have just spoken to my IBD nurse and she says it can me beneficial to have smaller controlled meals and the smallest meal in the evening to not going to bed on a full tummy have split mfp into the 6 sections so wish me luck

means im prob going to have to eat differently to my OH which feels really wrong right now but needs must

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are your trigger foods?

Just build a series of recipes that don't include them - know your go-to meals

I often eat 300-400 calories a meal - in fact I rarely go over because I'm more of a grazer - it's more than possible
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging.
  • abk1968
    Options
    Eating smaller meals so far seems to be working for me already made note of some foods that make me bloated so taken them out of the diet
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I eat small snacks/meals throughout the day--usually I'm eating something every 2 hours or so, but I don't necessarily stick to that. I don't do it for health reasons, but I just prefer doing it that way, and it works for me. Keeps me from being hungry all the time.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think there's an active group in the groups section for people who have Crohn's. It'd be easier to find if there were a group search function (hint, hint, MFP) but maybe someone here will kindly share the link?

At any rate, I have several friends with Crohn's and I know it's really tough for them. They all have to do a lot of trial and error to figure out what works for them. I wish you luck.
  • abk1968
    Options
    Thanks will look for the group now
    segacs wrote: »
    I think there's an active group in the groups section for people who have Crohn's. It'd be easier to find if there were a group search function (hint, hint, MFP) but maybe someone here will kindly share the link?

At any rate, I have several friends with Crohn's and I know it's really tough for them. They all have to do a lot of trial and error to figure out what works for them. I wish you luck.