1000 calories a day

Options
Hey all my name is Kayti I am working on losing weight. At least 70 by October 26! With two kids it's gonna be hard! I need all the support and motivation I can get. I can help you as well. I'm a good listener.

Replies

• Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    1000 cal /day , that's what the site recommended to you ? Seems a little low to me, but anyway I wish you the best of luck
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting this 1000 calorie goal from?
  • SarahMc96
    Options
    Hi :smile:
    I've been a member of this site for 6 years now, welcome :blush:

I think you'll find this site very supportive. The trick is to talk if you feel the need to, and remind yourself of the reasons on why you want to lose weight. I find after a couple of days, I fall into the routine and don't really feel tempted. (...except, maybe chocolate! Hehe!).

Sarah x
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I would be so hangry on 100 calories a day. 4 kids here.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    1,000 seems pretty low to me. MFP doesn't recommend below 1,200.
  • KaytiWindham
    KaytiWindham Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dr told me to lower calories between 1500 or lowest at 1000 now I always end up eating about 1100.
  • KaytiWindham
    Options
    Thank you Sara. Its hard for me because I come from a big family. And no not genetics we just like to eat lol! So it's hard when I go visit my parents and they have cooked.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    IMO, 1000 calories if you intended on quitting a in a few months, or 1500 if you see yourself reaching your GW. (And that even seems a little low without checking up on your stats.)
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and I cannot imagine maintaining 1000 calories a day. If that's what you legitimately think you need, I would recommend checking in with your doctor. They might have a more concrete suggestion of a calorie goal given your stats.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Dr told me to lower calories between 1500 or lowest at 1000 now I always end up eating about 1100.

1000 is not a healthy or sustainable goal, and if you actually have 70 pounds to lose, it's most likely entirely unnecessary. The absolute minimum recommended for the average woman is 1200 calories a day, and hence why MFP doesn't let you go lower.

Did you get your calorie goal from the general practitioner you see, or a dietician? How tall are you and, if you don't mind, what do you currently weigh? Do you have a medical condition that affects your ability to burn calories?
  • KaytiWindham
    Options
    So should I up it to 1200? I wanna lose at least 3 pounds a week
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    1000 is in no way sustainable, it almost always causes crash & burn, followed by quitting and gaining weight back.

I would ask your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian, most MDs have very little nutrition knowledge, an RD will be able to give you a much better idea of what you should actually be eating.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    eat 1750 a day and track accurately. as you lower weight, lower cals. if you start at 1000 you have nowhere to go.

and 3lbs a week is too much
  • KaytiWindham
    Options
    I'm 5'4 270 pounds. And a general Dr.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Losing at least 3lb per week isn't realistic or sustainable....
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

3 pounds a week is too fast, unless you are severely obese, like a couple hundred pounds to lose. Generally speaking, 2 pounds aw week is the maximum you should shoot for. The weight didn't come on overnight, so you can't expect to lose it overnight. You should up your calories to at least 1200, go through MFP's guidance to figure out where you should be.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hi Kayti. I'm also of the opinion that slower is better. I have lost weight before on low calorie diets and even kept it off for some time, but conditions have to be perfect. No stressful interruptions or it's all over. I hope you'll consider raising your calorie intake and losing weight a little more slowly and comfortably.
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I would fail on 1000. I would be so hungry I would over-eat. I would also probably be divorced because I would be no fun to be around or live with !!
  • KaytiWindham
    Options
    Okay so 2 pounds is better
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My main advice is this: if you really should only have 1000 calories a day, then plan for how you'll feel on those days when you're not able to meet your target. At that low a calorie goal, it'll be easy to stray from your goals--and consequently, easy to lose heart, get disappointed, and give up.

On a related note:
    1) If you can't make it for that day, don't lose heart. Limit your intake the best you can and resolve to do better the next day.
    2) If you really dread the thought of maintaining 1000 calories per day, then don't feel bad about kicking it up to 1200-1500. If your physician recommended 1500, it means you should still lose weight at that range. As long as you're getting closer to your goal, you're not failing.

In short: forgive yourself when you can't meet your goals, and if your goal is too hard, go for an easier goal that will get you to the same place. At low-calorie diets, one of the most important things is knowing how to deal successfully with slip-ups and lapses.

(Source: I did the 1200-calorie regime for 100 days or so...)