Resisting Goodies at the Office

Options
Anyone have tips for avoiding the junk food that coworkers bring in? The office kitchen is one of my biggest downfalls. I notice that when I have healthy alternatives available, I am more likely to grab one of those healthy snacks vs. the sweets in the office kitchen. Anyone have any helpful tips? Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Either eat it and log it or simply being your own food. Junk food won't make tour fat. Healthy is subjective and overall health of diet is based on the overall content, not individual items.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It used to be a big problem for me, but it's not much of a problem now. I think not being overly hungry definitely helps. If I'm really hungry, I'm much more likely to eat something I don't really want.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Will power is about all I can say. Maybe make sure you have healthy snacks available so you're less likely to pick the alternative due to lack of options.
  • faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can you eat a little bit and log it? I have the same issue and I either just don't eat it or log it as best I can. Also, you could bring your own snacks and eat those if you don't want to miss social aspects of snack time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do:

I take a look at it. Then I go to my desk and pre-log it into MFP to see what the calorie count is. Then I do the "is it worth the calories?" game. I save ~200 - 300 calories a day for an evening snack. So eating this item would replace that snack for the day. Usually the answer is "no, I'd rather have the ice cream tonight" and that's that.

Sometimes, I do go with a yes (especially if it's a gooey brownie or cheesecake). I log it and eat it and skip my evening snack that day. However, most of the time it isn't as good as I thought it would be and regret my decision. Makes it easier to say no next time because I want my ice cream!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    being committed to your goals and making conscience choices that will keep you on your plan. be responsible to yourself.
  • kmstokes389
    Options
    What? No magic willpower wand? That's disappointing. Haha but really I like the suggestion to pre log it and ask if it's worth it! Usually my willpower is strong enough, but high stress days make me crave that nasty stuff.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I just have my own rule that I never eat office snacks- then there is no decision to be made. I always bring my own food to work and don't deviate from that. I think it would be harder for me if I sometimes ate the work food because then there would be a "will I, won't I" thing in my head every day. It sounds strict but it works for me. Where I work there are treats nearly every day (lucky us!!)
  • ana3067
    Options
    What? No magic willpower wand? That's disappointing. Haha but really I like the suggestion to pre log it and ask if it's worth it! Usually my willpower is strong enough, but high stress days make me crave that nasty stuff.

Why is it nasty? Because it tastes gross? Otherwise it isn't nasty and it is just calorie dense food and you can eat it if you crave it
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do great until someone puts candy on the front desk. The worst was doughnuts. For several years people would bring doughnuts to every morning meeting, plus every Friday. To make matters worse, we have a superb toffee manufacturer across the street from my office. I could handle that, but they have a retail outlet and coffee shop! I eat great food, then the sugar gnome takes control of my hands and mouth. The good part about MFP is that the more I log, the more scarce that gnome is.
  • kmstokes389
    Options
    I call it nasty because for me it's evil! It calls my name haha my willpower is getting stronger though. I think it's best for me to just stay away from it because I'm that kind of person that has one sweet thing and then I want the whole box. Haha
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I call it nasty because for me it's evil! It calls my name haha my willpower is getting stronger though. I think it's best for me to just stay away from it because I'm that kind of person that has one sweet thing and then I want the whole box. Haha

If this is something you will maintain once you are maintaining your weight then that's fine. If you know you will want to eat these things in maintenance then you should probably learn how to incorporate moderation. For me I moderate by fitting food into my macros. And just... Eating what will actually work within my needs and wants. I used to eat 3 boxes of chocolate at a time, so...
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    bring your own snacks. And have strong will-power.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i'm going to have to go with will power as well. i can see our "up for grabs" table from my cube - right in my line of vision all day long! everyone is always telling me i should take some, its only one cookie, its so good, i've lost lots of weight i can treat myself... i would say about 95% of the time i just repeat no thanks. every once in a while i'll take a cookie or a piece of candy - IF it has the nutrition facts on it and i can scan it. if its not on there i WILL NOT take it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    first, what is "junk" food..??

second - either find a way to work said foods into your day and have some, or don't have any..
    -
    problem solved.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

can you define this "nasty" stuff and what makes it nasty?