Macros & Micros...huh?

Options
Hi there- can anyone tell me what these mean? I did a search but only found the terms mentioned but not defined.
- Thanks!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Macros (macronutrients): protein, fat, carbs

Micros (micronutrients): vitamins and minerals
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients:

Carbs, Fats, Protein.

* The major nutritional "baskets". Try to eat at a 40%/30%/30% to see best results, but that's mainly for muscle growth. If you just want to be skinny, and don't care about "toning" or getting stronger, don't worry about it.
    * Depending on who you ask, Alcohol may be a fourth, but I'm getting ahead of myself there...

Micronutrients:

eg: Vitamin A, potassium, sodium, etc...

These are the "little" nutrients. There's a ton of them, and it's unlikely you can accurately track them using something like MFP.

Instead, ensure you get a wide, varied diet, and you'll be fine.

My trick is to make sure my meals are as colourful as possible - the micros actually have an effect on the colour of food in some ways, so having a rainbow on your plate is indicative that you're getting most of the micros you need to be healthy.
  • UnikittyRocks
    UnikittyRocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    Macronutrients:

Carbs, Fats, Protein.

* The major nutritional "baskets". Try to eat at a 40%/30%/30% to see best results, but that's mainly for muscle growth. If you just want to be skinny, and don't care about "toning" or getting stronger, don't worry about it.
    * Depending on who you ask, Alcohol may be a fourth, but I'm getting ahead of myself there...

Micronutrients:

eg: Vitamin A, potassium, sodium, etc...

These are the "little" nutrients. There's a ton of them, and it's unlikely you can accurately track them using something like MFP.

Instead, ensure you get a wide, varied diet, and you'll be fine.

My trick is to make sure my meals are as colourful as possible - the micros actually have an effect on the colour of food in some ways, so having a rainbow on your plate is indicative that you're getting most of the micros you need to be healthy.

Got it, thanks so much for the description.
  • socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this as I was not certain of what these were and the ratios!!
  • rand486
    Options
    Glad to help :)
  • tadgh929
    Options
    40/30/30 is not the best results muscle growth it's the zone diet which is a relative new diet with no long term research to back it up. It's a good place to start but alter it to your specific goals. For gaining weight try and eat 1g of protein per pound per body weight for losing weight increase it to 1.4g per pound for losing weight. 25%-30% Fat for gaining weight. 15-20%for losing weight and rest should be in carbs. If you have trouble gaining or losing weight occurring to the my fitness pal equation increase or decrease calories by 500per day. Not saying the zone diet is wrong just saying it's not for everyone

• rand486
    Options
    @tadgh929 - Explain to me how you can eat 40/30/30 and not hit your protein goals?

I've been following this for years, and never heard of the "zone diet". It's commonly held in the fitness/nutrition (science-based) community, alongside the 1g of protein per lean lb of body weight (which in itself is super high).
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html
  • tadgh929
    Options
    Would you not increase the protein while losing weight to try preserve muscle mass?? decrease it while gaining weight. Because your in caloire surplus and getting enough protein Any way. Might not when in a deficit
    Just saying I would calculate protein first and then fat and eat the rest eat carbs. Might not work out 40/30/30 for everyone
  • rand486
    Options
    tadgh929 wrote: »
    Would you not increase the protein while losing weight to try preserve muscle mass?? decrease it while gaining weight. Because your in caloire surplus and getting enough protein Any way. Might not when in a deficit
    Just saying I would calculate protein first and then fat and eat the rest eat carbs. Might not work out 40/30/30 for everyone

You're min/maxing strength gains, when OP didn't even know what micros/macros were. Baby steps.

You don't even know that strength/muscle growth is OP's main goal. 40/30/30 is an easy guideline, and easier for beginners. MFP is filled with people who just want to be skinny - you're not wrong, you're just jumping ahead a bit IMO. :)
  • Lindy0070
    Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You've all lost me!!!
  • rand486
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Lindy0070‌, this is exactly why I try to keep it simple.

Short version: Stay under your calorie limit if you're trying to lose weight.

If you care about muscle gain, you need to eat high protein. Best numbers suggest a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) if you're strength training (eg: lifting weights).

As an easier rule of thumb, I like to simply suggest people program their nutritional goals into MFP as 40% carbs, 30% fats, and 30% protein. It's an easy way for most people to hit their protein goals, and is a reasonable breakdown for most people's fitness goals.

Clearer?
  • Lindy0070
    Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm just a bit confused.com!