Mom with 2 kids & hypothyroidism trying to lose weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's runs in my family, so far I have managed to avoid it. I do not eat gluten, for one it gives me migraines and for two there have been many studies indicating a high correlation between Hashimoto's and gluten intolerance involving a worsening of Hashimoto's symptoms after gluten consumption. Also, I take Nature's Sunshine Glandular System if I start to feel sluggish and tired for no explainable reason. I buy it on Amazon and it's just a thyroid supporting herbal pack, which seems to help me considerably.
  • gusiacz
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a 32 year old newbie with Hashimoto's disease and hypothyroidism. My weight gain started in 2008 with dislocated knee and muscle loss - yo yo effect came at the same time as hypothyroidism and i gained 5st in one year. After 7 years of struggle with all the possible symptoms of hypo I weigh 19st 5lb. This time I'm fully determined, I want to go back to my original weight of 10st.
    Good luck everyone!! Feel free to add me, it's always good to share the experience with people who understand.
  • zmanincredible
    zmanincredible Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too have Hypothyroidism. It's hard. My mother passed two years ago and that caused me to gain about 30+ lbs from being bummed out. I have a one year old daughter and I am working out as much as I can fit in. It's slowly coming off. Slow and steady wins the race. Winter time is the hardest time for me to lose weight so I am attacking it pretty hard this year.
  • livb528
    livb528 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The Weight gain is one of the hardest symptoms of having hypothyroidism. I have Hashimoto's disease which I still don't understand really I just know that it causes me to have hypothyroidism. I have gained probably about 15 pounds recently which I believe due to my thyroid so I do have an appointment with my doctor. My other weight gain is from having two kids. I wish you the best of luck! We could support each other feel free to add me :)

Thanks for adding me! It's always nice to know that others understand hypothyroidism as well!

• usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hypothyroid here. It sucks, tired most of the time. I have a 9 month old at home and I am hoping to lose weight again. I was successful once with Wii Zumba and Jilian Michaels 30 Day shred. Anyone feel free to add me. :smiley:
  • nickylillyrose
    nickylillyrose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do Zumba with my kids.
  • nickylillyrose
    Options
    gusiacz wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm a 32 year old newbie with Hashimoto's disease and hypothyroidism. My weight gain started in 2008 with dislocated knee and muscle loss - yo yo effect came at the same time as hypothyroidism and i gained 5st in one year. After 7 years of struggle with all the possible symptoms of hypo I weigh 19st 5lb. This time I'm fully determined, I want to go back to my original weight of 10st.
    Good luck everyone!! Feel free to add me, it's always good to share the experience with people who understand.

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my brother about a year and a half ago. I don't think I got back to the gym like 8 months after he died. The winter gives me the blues. I'm just now trying to get my butt back to the gym again but with being tired is it is a struggle. I wish you the best!
  • nickylillyrose
    Options
    gusiacz wrote: »

• nickylillyrose
    Options
    Good luck to you!!
  • nickylillyrose
    Options
    Hashimoto's runs in my family, so far I have managed to avoid it. I do not eat gluten, for one it gives me migraines and for two there have been many studies indicating a high correlation between Hashimoto's and gluten intolerance involving a worsening of Hashimoto's symptoms after gluten consumption. Also, I take Nature's Sunshine Glandular System if I start to feel sluggish and tired for no explainable reason. I buy it on Amazon and it's just a thyroid supporting herbal pack, which seems to help me considerably.

Thanks for sharing! I've been reading about how people with thyroid problems should avoid gluten. I have an appointment with my doctor this week and then I think I might try to go gluten-free. :)
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also Hypo.. I've been on the l-thyroxine, just upped to 88mcg. I also just had my vitamin D tested and was ridiculously low. Symptoms of low vitamin D are very comparable to hypothyroidism, and a lot of the time they go hand in hand (if you're hypothyroid, then you prob have vitamin d deficiency). So I'm on 2000 a day of vitamin D3, just started this weekend, so I can't say if I notice any difference.

I have put on 40-50 pounds over the last 9 months due to this.. moreso due to lack of energy and the muscle/bone pain, i hadn't wanted to do any exercise, and I have an office job, so not good! BUT , the last 3 weeks i have been back on MFP and also tracking my exercise on an app. I walk 2 miles a day (the last three weeks), and seem to be feeling little better every day. I didn't nap either day this weekend, which felt good to not need the 2-3 hour nap (!!)

Good luck to you on your journey, let's support each other! :)

• mamanewland
    mamanewland Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm a busy mom of 4 and I'm down almost 40 lbs. Add me as a friend!
  • Mommyof3girlsGA
    Mommyof3girlsGA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in September. I am mommy of 3 girls and I exercise regularly and eat really well....I couldn't figure out why my weight kept going up or staying where it was at. I am runner...LOVE to run and it still wasn't coming off. It is nice to have the support of someone else who is going thru the same thing.
  • kirkira2015
    kirkira2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I habe underactive thyroid too, so nice im not alone!
  • American_Beauty
    American_Beauty Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto's disease, mother of 3, been here since November, down 12 pounds 21 possible 29 to go. MFP has been a saving grace, anyone is welcome to add me as well :smile: