A slight positive to the bad economy...

Options
Since money has been really tight lately, I have been eating like a mouse. When I make dinner, I make sure there is always enough for my kids and husband to eat later. So if that means I only get a little bit so be it. Of course my biggest concern is that my kids have food and my husband works really hard and he deserves a hot meal when he gets home and something left to heat up later. I have been living off of oatmeal and low fat yogurt, which are my favorites anyways. I am sure it isn't the heathliest, but if you have noticed the healthiest foods in the store are the most expensive. I did get on the scale today after not doing it for about a month and I saw the 160's!!!! 169 to be exact... gosh, I haven't seen that weight in a LONG time!:laugh:
So, yeah NO MONEY!!!:tongue::sad:

Replies

• JESSMC420
    Options
    Since money has been really tight lately, I have been eating like a mouse. When I make dinner, I make sure there is always enough for my kids and husband to eat later. So if that means I only get a little bit so be it. Of course my biggest concern is that my kids have food and my husband works really hard and he deserves a hot meal when he gets home and something left to heat up later. I have been living off of oatmeal and low fat yogurt, which are my favorites anyways. I am sure it isn't the heathliest, but if you have noticed the healthiest foods in the store are the most expensive. I did get on the scale today after not doing it for about a month and I saw the 160's!!!! 169 to be exact... gosh, I haven't seen that weight in a LONG time!:laugh:
    So, yeah NO MONEY!!!:tongue::sad:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

I am definitely more strict on my portion control and don't snack as much these days.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    WTG on the progress lady :flowerforyou: :drinker: I hope things get better for you:bigsmile: Time's are tough but gotta keep fighting:drinker: There are some cheap healthy foods...bananas are cheap :bigsmile: :laugh: :wink:
  • tkarratti
    Options
    JESSMC420...Congrats on losing weight! That is a positive and good thing...YOU GO GIRL!

Its always the Mom that makes the most sacrafices when it comes to family...however, making a valid sacrafice and/or being savvy about making grocery funds stretch are two very different things...

I find it an interesting philosopy on making dinner and then some to eat later...does that mean the next day at lunch? Or do you mean a second dinner as a late night snack?...The latter is a waste of money and a poor eating habit to be teaching children...if they need a late night snack feed them apples...An apple a day really does keep the doctor away...However, if you are using the left overs for a meal the next day...that is a very good "making grocery money stretch" kind of thing...I was just wondering

And please be sure to take care of yourself! Your family needs you and it would be tragic if you let your system wear down (due to lack of adequate nutrition) based on some idea that you need to starve to keep your family fed...a balanced and healthy diet is the way to go!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Totally with you on that. I buy olives, grapes, slimfast, greenbeans, pasta and grated parmesean cheese, and live off of that for weeks. :laugh:

I wouldn't consider what I eat 'meals' more like frequent 'snacks.' I gave up long ago eating with DH :indifferent: His skinny little butt eats stuff that would have me 300+ pounds in a week. And my son... well, his food budget is DH's and mine combined - we get him the healthy little no preservative (EXPENSIVE!!) gerber food. :ohwell:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!