Heart rate monitors

Options
which is your favourite heart rate monitor?
If you don't mind sharing what it was at retail price, what brand it is, what you like and dislike about it?
Does it affect your workout, does it fall off your chest, do you have to charge it?

So many questions! If you could help with any of it I would love to know what you think about them!

Thanks all

Replies

• cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Following
  • lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I got a polar Bluetooth heart rate monitor over a year ago and love it. There is a polar fitness app that it works with but I was already using Strava and it works with that too. I've not replaced the battery yet and I typically run 5 - 7 hours a week and ride my bike 3 - 7 hours a week as well. I got a gel called spectra 360 that is for electrodes. If I don't use the gel it's hard for the monitor to pick up and transmit to the phone. other than that, I've had no problems with it.

I bought a timex watch and hr monitor and it would work but it wouldn't sync with anything so I upgraded to the polar. It costs around $45.

I have noticed a difficulty in using it when doing workouts like T25 or Insanity. Just too much jumping to keep it secured. For those workouts I go by how long I could make it, not my heart rate anyway.

Good luck.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar RS100, about $60 on Amazon. The chest strap fit fine when I first got it, but because of weight loss and use, it is now too big, but for now I just stuff the sensor part under my bra. If you're a dude, then this is not an option.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 310XT, so HR data is correlated with a GPS trace and on my bike the cadence output, so it becomes useful to analyse running and cycling performance.

Cost me about 120 sterling.

I used to use an FT60, but given that I couldn't export it to my running or cycling data and the calorie estimate can be a bit unpredictable for any HRM I stopped using it.
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
  • gozi323
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Charge HR which is new and not sure if it is available now but I love it! I am not 100% sure if it is really accurate but it is very simple and easy to use and when compared to the HR monitor on the Gym equipment such as Treadmill, it is very close to those readings.

Retail price is $149.99
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Buy a Garmin device. It'll make all other devices look like the toys they are...... No, seriously.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Buy a Garmin device. It'll make all other devices look like the toys they are...... No, seriously.

Based on what science? For what activities? Are you going to once again tell people to use a bike computer/GPS for running and indoor cardio events?

Or are you just advertising?
  • Gadgetman74
    Gadgetman74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 love it. I've had it a few yrs and use it at the gym, doing worKouts at home....paid about £60 for it...only thing I don't like is its getting old...lol