any suggestions ..workout w/asthma

Options
just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to start working out when u have asthma..?

Replies

• chrysta27
    Options
    just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to start working out when u have asthma..?
  • littlespoon
    Options
    I have quite bad asthma so I went to the doctor and the did up a treatment plan so that I could do whatever exercise I wanted. Depending on your fitness level, dont mistake normal "puffing" with asthma. If you have a control plan with your doctor and use a preventative as well as your ventolin you should be ok.
    :smile:
  • blessedmamma
    Options
    I have undiagnosed asthma. Why do I need to spend $85 to have someone tell me I'm wheezing?

Anyway, I find that I need to warm-up really well before I turn up the intensity on my workout. If I start to wheeze, I just slow down, focus on my breathing, and pick it back up if I want.
  • eva028
    eva028 Posts: 10
    Options
    run.

start slow for awhile until you can "build yourself up" but it's definitely a good way to get/stay in shape And help with your asthma. I was in and out of the hospital, on meds. twice a day, and had to get shots once a week because my asthma was so bad. but i kept very active with soccer and swimming and trust me, the more you work you lungs/heart, the better your asthma will get and the better You'll start looking. Also, I know it's normal for the doc. to say to use your inhaler when you feel "tight in the chest" but don't forget that's normal when trying to get in shape. Also, if your gym has a steam room, that helps a lot. After running/cycling just sitting in the steam room for a little bit will help clear out your chest.
  • lacey
    lacey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    what about yoga or isometric exercise?
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options

What meds are you on? If you simply use albuterol, take it approximately 15-20 min prior to beginning your workout. This will allow for maximal vasodilation and make it esier to breath. I notice that about 15 minutes into a run, I finally feel my chest open up. So, yes, a slow warm-up is crucial. It will take your body some time to adapt but is SO worth it.

Humidity will make it easier to breathe; cold & hot temperatures don't help, but the moisture is what determines how much your chest hurts! That's why the sauna helps. If you're outdoors in the cold, wear a mouth cover so that you keep in as much moisture as you can. If indoors, keep a water bottle near you. I also find that moving air helps, so hop on the machine closest to a fan!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with asthma this year. However I have had issues for several years. I was to the point a few years back that just walking was to much. Seeing a doctor was just not something we could afford. I had a midwife suggest some echinacea and it had worked the first time I had an asthma type episode. So I sent my husband to buy some and he came back with that and nettle caplets. Well they both helped immensly. Though I am not medical and it may not work for everyone it certainly helped me a great deal. This summer I used it to some degree however I had something that even those would not help so I did go to the doctor.
    I am not in the medical field so you can take that as you may.

As for exercise. Walking was the best for me. My mom got me started on quigong which is like tai chi. And that would also be good. It focuses on breathing. Maybe swimming would work for you also.

Good luck.
  • clwilliams222
    Options
    i do plently of warming up and try to focus on your breathing while you work out. i have chronic asthma since i was a baby. and i talked to my doctor and found that if i take a couple of puffs of my emergency inhaler BEFORE my workout,(albuterol or whatever you might use) it really helps me out EXTREMELY with my breathing, so much so to the point where i dont wheeze at all during my work out. i liek to use my inhaler as a PREVENTATIVE measure if i know i will be doing something strenuous, and it really does wonders