Annoying Sounds

Options
LeannJeffers
LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
I needed to find somewhere to vent about this.. I have a co-worker that drives me crazy. She is constantly tapping her feet, clicking her pen, clicking her tongue, yawning really loudly, dropping her staple remover on the desk. This girl apologizes at the end of every sentence and to have a conversation with her is painful at times. I don't want to hurt her feelings or make her hate me but her constant sounds are making me go crazy!!

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't work in an office so I don't have to listen to that, but I do get extremely annoyed with lots of sounds in tv commercials. The stupid kit-kat snapping sound, the loud artificial crunching sound of a neanderthal crunching potato chips with an open mouth, the exaggerated sound of pouring coffee into a cup (especially since I don't drink coffee), a radio ad (at least here in Chicago) where they are constantly begging you to give away your car to charity, and on and on...

I wish there was a website to communicate directly with the advertising and marketing genius' who create this drivel...so I could tell them that instead of making me want to buy their product they just made me change the channel to avoid being subjected to the rest of their inane commercial.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get some of what's in the pic and problem solved. She won't want to OPEN her mouth to yawn.

109d73b7bcbeb83f2cbc3aeb8d95c4bf.png
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have some sensory issues.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    After seeing this video, My sons and I can drive my wife out of her mind just by saying "Warm it up"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbepN4dKLbU
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    "Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a rarely diagnosed but common neuropsychiatric disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds. The sounds can be loud or soft. The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff and is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity syndrome"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia
  • LeannJeffers
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    melduf wrote: »
    "Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a rarely diagnosed but common neuropsychiatric disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds. The sounds can be loud or soft. The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff and is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity syndrome"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

I've also heard that this can be exacerbated if the maker of the sound is someone close to you (emotionally) .. same sound from a random stranger might not set you off ...
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, The guy in my office chews with his mouth open and he sings. I want to smash him when he is singing!
  • LeannJeffers
    Options
    my husband knows sounds bother me, the other night he started clicking a pen while we were talking and it took almost 5 minutes before he asked me if it bothered me. when he did it, it never bothered me. I think it's the fact that i'm at work trying to focus and the sound distracts me from focusing.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I cringe, get irrationally angry, and sometimes physically ill about 80% of the time I can hear my coworker. I hate him so much so maybe that plays a part in how much he irritates me, but he chews with his mouth open, talks with his mouth full, and slurps his drink EVERY TIME. And he eats CONSTANTLY. I get a headache.
  • LeannJeffers
    Options
    I cringe, get irrationally angry, and sometimes physically ill about 80% of the time I can hear my coworker. I hate him so much so maybe that plays a part in how much he irritates me, but he chews with his mouth open, talks with his mouth full, and slurps his drink EVERY TIME. And he eats CONSTANTLY. I get a headache.

I don't understand how they are so oblivious to their annoying habits!! Whenever my co-worker does something super annoying i mimic her just to see if she will stop and NOPE still continues.
  • LeannJeffers
    Options
    sstolii123 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, The guy in my office chews with his mouth open and he sings. I want to smash him when he is singing!

Wonder if they would notice flying objects at them?
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Sounds unpleasant. I despise those leaf blowers. The pitch is high & awful. Someone is always running one in our hood- hate it so much. Please grab a rake & burn some calories, neighbors!
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    People talking VERY LOUDLY on their cell phones having a conversation in public. At the bank, the store, DMV - wherever. NOBODY ELSE GIVES A **** ABOUT YOUR CONVERSATION - TAKE IT OUTSIDE! Or at least put it on speaker so we can hear the other end of the discussion; otherwise its just obnoxious.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    People who whistle shrilly.
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One of my old co-workers used to play rap music really loud from her desk. I could here it from halfway across the room. This is not particularly pleasant in a cubicle setting...