Trying to avoid a picnic pitfall!!

Options
Hey all! So I'm rounding off my first week finally getting serious about dieting... I've had a few snafu's here and there, all of which revolved around leftover to-die-for cupcakes from a picnic with friends last week. (Seriously, you've never had cupcakes like these... I just couldn't let them go to waste. It's like sacrelig.) Anyway, other than a cupcake a day for like, 3 or 4 days, I've really been watching and counting calories and going to the gym and all that... and I really thought I would have started to feel a little better about myself, but I had a "I feel like a fat hog" day yesterday. Now that totally motivated me to kick it up a notch at the gym today, walking a little faster and sweating a little harder... but alas, another picnic with friends looms in my immediate future. As in 2 hours. Now, I was all proud of myself for getting a large fruit tray to bring this time, instead of cupcakes... but I'm more worried about liquid calories I'll be consuming... anyone have any tips for drinking light? I've tried Michelob Ultra Light, and it's pretty tasty, but for being Ultra Light, there's still quite a bit of calories per beer. I'm not expecting to find a zero calorie drink out there, but does anyone have any ideas?? I'm wondering if I'd be better off with some rum and diet coke? I like my mixed drinks weak, anyway, so it's not like I'd be having half liquer and half diet coke... but really. There HAS to be a diet way to drink out there. lol. I just don't want my week of (sorta) hard work to go to waste. And not drinking.. well, that's just not an option. I guess I could limit it, but what fun is that??? Help! haha :)

Replies

• MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How about Vodka and Crystal light? Vodka has approximately 64 calories an oz. and Crystal Light has less than 5.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    most spirits have <80kcals ber 25ml measure

liquors can be higher because of the mix, i actually ask the guy behind the bar in my regular bar to hand me the bottle - first couple of times i got funny looks but now they know me as 'the dieting girl' so its cool - sometimes they even joke 'so i suppose you wanna see the bottle first hey'

i stay away from alco-pops and anything pre-mixed - i just tell myself its the same as food, if its ready made its bad, so i being that over to my drink too

ie 25ml southern comfort and 150ml of diet coke has less kcals than a small 250ml can of southern comfort and diet coke pre-mixed! and its more than just the 75ml volume difference!

cupcakes - nooooo - i miss those the most :o(
  • nsteffens
    nsteffens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Let me make a suggestion. This is how this worked for me.

Losing weight HAS to be a complete change in your thinking, it has to be a commitment to making yourself feel better and healthier and ONLY for you. No one else, who cares, don't ask, don't tell.. ONLY YOU.

Once you are at that place take the time to do this the right way. It has to be all in, you have to want to make a change that lasts. What I did was completely give up drinking anything but water. I usually drink Crystal Light in it, sometimes not. I had no pop, soda, nothing for 12 weeks. I told myself I was going to drink nothing but water for 3 months. I did not eat a little of this here a little of that there, I ate what I was suposed to eat for 12 weeks. Then I took two weeks and ate a little bit of this and little bit of that, basically had a few nights a week where we went out and I ate a few things that I would not normally eat, pizza or something like that. The key here is I ate a few pieces, and I plugged in what I ate.

After my two weeks I am hitting it hard again. I lost 38 lbs in the first 12 weeks and with NO EXERCISE. You do not have to exercise to lose weight, I don't care what anyone tells you. Is it better for you, of course, but you can lose weight without it. I have been now walking, etc.... I don't have a sedentary lifestyle to begin with but am now getting out more.

The important thing and the only important thing is that this time you understand you are going a dreaded diet, with the attitude that once again I am starting something that I am simply going to fail at, again. You have to tell yourself, this time it is a lifestyle change and this I will be successful.

Hope that helps and good luck to you... remember it is ONLY FOR YOU.
  • alyciaengel
    alyciaengel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hard liquors, on average, have about 100 calories per shot. (1.4 oz) Which would you drink more of, mixed drinks or beer? I had a friend who would alternate seltzer water/club soda with alcoholic beverages, to cut down on the amount consumed overall.
  • Nikkita29
    Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MicMar.. I like this suggestion!! Thanks! I'm a huge fan of Crystal Light's Peach and Raspberry Ice Teas... I'm wondering if that new Sweet Tea Vodka has as few calories as regular Vodka? Might have to find out! :)
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy your new drink!