Crunchy knees while squatting

Options
My knees crunch so loudly when I squat, it sounds horrific! It doesn't hurt though and I've seen a physio about it and he said that it's mainly to do with me being hyper mobile (really bendy) and locking my knees when I stand, which I've worked on, but that there's nothing they can do about it and it wont cause any harm.

My question is, has anyone got anything like this and found any thing to help? For example a knee support? Has anyone found weight lifting to help / hinder crunchy knees? I did ask the physio about lifting and squatting and his reply was 'why would you want to do that?' then changed the subject.

If anyone has any help or ideas, I'd love to know!!

Replies

• jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My shoulders seem to do this it sounds quite gross haha
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My knees do this as well. I also have no pain when the crunchy/grinding sound happens.

I've played sports my whole life and have seen a physio (not in regards to this specifically)_ but had been diagnosed with Patella Femoral Syndrome. I ice my knees after a workout that includes any heavy leg training, soccer or interval or sprint training. I also live by the foam roller. I foam roll my quads, hamstrings and hip flexors. Its painful but it is in a way a sort of massage for the muscles that directly influence the knees. I try to keep those muscles as loose as possible so that my knee cap isn't getting pulled into directions it shouldn't be.

I also use physio tape. I'm not sure what the rules are on the forum but I won't post the brand name here. There are lots of Youtube videos that you can look up about how to tape your knees for more support. The tape comes in pretty colours :)
  • musicismylover
    musicismylover Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at times--wear head phones or turn up the tunes? ;-) Best of luck... if anyone has any more useful tips I would be happy to hear them as well.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Ha, whenever I get out of bed all my bones crack. Normally they pop once though and that's it. You might want to try stretching a bit before and after lifting.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Same problem for me, I'm curious to what others will suggest! How low do you squat? I think I've noticed more cracking when I squat lower than parallel.
  • sophilyn
    sophilyn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have crunchy knees too. I have used the vitamin MSM and it has worked some to quiet the sound.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I was told to be careful with my joints because I am what they call double jointed, you can cause yourself injury because you bend more than the joints and ligaments are meant to bend. I'd suggest checking out your form and perhaps not dipping so low into your squats, when I dip deep that's when my knees talk. I have a shoulder that makes a lot of noise too so I'm careful about how high I do front raises with weight.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Same problem for me, I'm curious to what others will suggest! How low do you squat? I think I've noticed more cracking when I squat lower than parallel.

When I squat, I try not to let my knees go past my feet. I make sure to align myself so I have a good base and do more of a "sumo squat". I don't go as low as other people since it's just too much strain on my knees. Especially with a fat barbell on your shoulders.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I have crunchy knees too! They talk less now that I'm ~52 lbs. down and have done some serious squatting and lunging, but they still make some noise for my first few dips! As long as it doesn't cause pain, you're warming up properly and have good alignment/form, you should be just fine!
  • perri6
    perri6 Posts: 1
    Options
    My neck is crunchy! I should probably go see a chiropractor but IM SCARED
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The more I'm squatting, the stronger my knees are getting and the less crunchy they are. Mine have been cracking & crunching since I was 10 years old and its not til now, almost 40, that they seem healthier and stronger :) I also take glucosamine/chondroiton with msm and tumeric
  • jules_1995
    Options
    I've had this issue for as long as I can remember, but it's always been at least a bit painful. Lately I've been involved in various PT concepts treating a further injury last fall, but I've honestly just tried to adapt to an overall avoidance of squatting.... Without associated pain, though, I wouldn't worry too much- keep an eye on it, of course, but don't let it distract you from your workout if you don't suspect a more serious problem!
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. The ever lovely *NOT* knee pops/crunches.. Unfortunately for me, mine is hereditary and with off and on pain. Roughly termed 'Floating knee caps'. Modified squats are my bff..

Take good care of those knees everyone! :)
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! I'm going to look into the supplements, they've got to be worth a shot!

When I squat, I don't go bum to the ground and I don't let my knees go over my toes, so I'm not getting the full range of the squat, even though I am able to go lower, I stop short because of the noise!

I was hoping someone would say that getting stronger would help, that's a relief. I just started stronglifts so I'm on low weights at the moment, but I was hoping it wouldn't get too bad as I progressed. I did start NROLFW a couple of years ago and I was squatting quite a large amount, but since then I've had a lot of time off exercise, and me knees sound worse than ever!!

I'll just keep going I suppose and obviously take a step back if I get any pain. Thanks everyone!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Look up chondromalacia patellae. This might be what you have.