Do you ever get heel pain?

Options
I have been experiencing bad heel pain following treadmill workouts. I typically mix walking and jogging intervals and while working out, no pain. Afterwards, especially after sitting, it hurts, especially the first few steps. I do stretch before and after my workout.

I do think I need some new shoes, and will be talking to the folks at The Running Room about my issue....but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The classic answer is plantar fasciitis, or the beginnings of it. Is it pain on the bottom of your heel, or kind of across the back? How does the arch of your foot feel? For me, at least, PF symptoms begin with hurting after a workout, and progress if I don't head them off.

It might be worth giving these inserts a try.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You have plantar fasciitis probably. Is it bad in the morning?

The damage occurs when the arch is over stretched. Rest and physical therapy is the fix.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You need a proper diagnosis, but I suspect plantar fasciitis also. My wife and I both have had it and it can be very seriously debilitating. We both found that sleeping with a foot splint, making sure that the sheets and blankets at the foot of the bed are loose so that the foot can be at 90 degrees to the leg and not forced down like a ballet dancer going on toe and lots of rest were the solution. A doctor talked my wife into a steroid injection which was extremely painful, worked for about 2 weeks and then the situation was worse. Never again. We found that a conservative approach worked best for us. If we ever talk to a medical professional about it again, we would start with a physical therapist, not a physician.
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks. The information I read online leads me to believe it is PF, but I'll make sure that I get it checked out properly. And yes, in the morning it is very painful. I have a feeling that I need to focus on some low impact cardio for the time being, until this clears up.
  • Chazcat1
    Chazcat1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a dancer and deal with all sorts of tendonitis and this does sound plantar. As mentioned above, sleep boots help but what I have found helps the most are locrosse balls. It's painful like trigger point therapy but works wonders. Super slowly roll the arch and heel over the ball while standing, applying as much weight as you can handle. Tennis balls are too soft and golf balls too hard and small. Also sit on your bottom with leg stretched out and put the ball under your calf and dig it around slowly. A lot of times our muscles are just too tight, pulling our tendons even tighter.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Before everyone freaks out about fascitis....

As you said, go to a RUNNING store, not a sports store, and have them analyze your gait.

Without the correct shoes, you could be jogging yourself into an injury!

And remember, shoes don't last forever, so a new pair is warranted, especially if you're out lots.

Also, if you think shoes at running stores are too expensive, go for a brand they recommend and go for last years' model, it's way cheaper!

In the meantime, stretch your foot a LOT LOT LOT! Using bands can help too!

Good luck :)
  • rotorhead22
    rotorhead22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had several bouts of PF courtesy of the military. Things that I use are arch support inserts and good shoes such as Brooks GTS style shoes. I keep a bottle of frozen water to roll under my foot that relieves the pain and a fozen golf ball to hit the exact spot. I also use a Bledsoe PF strap and Aleve.