I really hope I can do it this time

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for so long but it doesn't ever work. But recently I had a wake-up call. My doctor said my BMI was 40 and I was morbidly obese and I was a candidate for gastric bypass. Personally, I don't want to get the surgery. I would much rather diet and exercise. My weakness is soda, fast food, and chips. But I know I could eat them in moderation. I am currently 261 pounds and my target weight is 180. I know I can do it. I just need to push myself. I need to also work on my portion sizes because I know I eat way too much food when meal time comes around. I love veggies and fruits so I know I am capable of eating better but the convenience of fast food is such a huge temptation. I also have to use a CPAP machine because I was diagnosed with sleep apnea as a result of my obesity and developed acid reflux. My health has taken a turn for the worse and I really want to get in shape and I am hoping I can get the right motivation and support to put me on the right path.

Replies

• CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Don't even bother thinking about how many times you've tried to lose weight before. It's hard to feel like we've failed over and over again, but try not to think of it like that. Little changes add up and you can make those little changes! Best of luck! Stay positive and stay motivated :)
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't get overwhelmed! Break up your weight loss into smaller goals. Set your goal at 10% of your current weight and pick one habit at a time to concentrate on. Do that one habit for four weeks then add another habit.

You can do this- it's totally possible.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. My advice would be to start every day reading what you just wrote and put that into doable daily goals and motivation. "I know I can do it." "I will push myself today." "I will eat proper portion sizes today." I will eat fruit and veggies instead of fast food today." "I do not want surgery, so I will eat healthy and exercise today." You will get lots of support here if you find like-minded friends. But you will always be your own best motivation and support. Good luck. Don't hope you can do it--just do it! :)
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Do something/anything that would point you towards your goal. I've found that focusing on the life I want to live is far better than dreading the upcoming workout or not-so-delicious meal ahead of me. You can do this. You will do this. :)

As for sodas, fast food and chips... that's probably going to be a struggle for a while (my personal weakness is candy). I still struggle and I keep "re-starting" my healthy lifestyle. Now, each day is an opportunity to do better, to be better, and to move towards a healthier life. Each change you make for the better, no matter how big or small, is SO worth it in the end.
  • halo2o12
    Options
    What helps me is when i say to myself : " i am not dieting i am just taking better choices.. I am not gonna eat that not because I can't ! I won't eat it because it is not good for me" i stopped smoking i guess i can do this now ! Everything is a habit. At the beginning it is hard then it gets much much easier . So i believe we are capable of doing this . Day 3 for me is down ! Best of luck everybody