Staring and Competing at the gym

Options
13»

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness can get so catty

Fortunately, as I live in Scotland Planet Fitness is not a thing...
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    In 35 years of working out at all manner of gym, I’ve never seen people compete with strangers. I’ve seen buddies compete. I’ve seen people talk for over an hour while sitting on a piece of equipment. I’ve seen people text between every set (and look down at their phone for a reply during a set). I’ve seen people do crazy things that I knew would either do nothing for them or eventually hurt them (bringing your shoulders down to the dumbbell during a standing dumbbell curl isn’t curling the thing).

But most of the time, because I’m doing my thing with intensity, I don’t notice anything. Because I’m not in the gym for them, I’m in there for me. Unless they walk over and challenge you, they’re not competing against you. Hell, maybe they’re just trying to learn something from you.

Must be a bunch of teenagers or something. Last thing I'd do is break my routine to challenge someone else.

AintNobodyGotTimeforDay.jpg
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think anyone cares what anyone else does in the gym. Maybe if your buddies with someone they might pay a bit more attention to you but I think it's a bit over exaggerated when people say "everyone stares at me at the gym"- reality is nobody cares what you're doing. Everyone is focused on themselves and their goals. Sure there might be once or twice where someone beside you is feeling a bit competitive but I seriously doubt it's an every day occurrence.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The reason they are staring is that they are trying to figure out your patterns.... they are assassins sent from the 'Agency" to kill you for being too awesome!! Good luck and watch your six............
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am super competitive, and this comes out while I am at the gym. If you jump on the rower next to me, you have unknowingly just signed up to race against me! So yes people stare, and it's either because they are attracted to you, they are checking out what you are doing/your form, or they are competing with you to help push themselves.
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    But truly, unless someone is doing something incredibly badass, something incredibly stupid, or is being overtly creepy towards me, chances are I don't notice it. The gym is my Me Time and I'm pretty much zoned in. Worry about yo'self!

true!