cheat day? whats that?

Options

Replies

• momontherun92
    Options
    Benefits of a cheat day: If you know you can indulge in whatever foods you want one day of the week (or less often if you choose), it helps you resist that temptation on the other days. Totally avoiding the foods you love & crave can lead to major overindulgence at some point. Better to have a controlled cheat day than to just go beserk. I have even taken that brownie, or cookie, or whatever and put it in the freezer to wait for my cheat day. I have also noticed that the longer I am into my healthy eating routine, the worse the bad foods make me feel when I eat them, and the less I crave them. Instead of lots of sugar, fats and carbs, my cheat days tend to be much healthier, but still yummy foods. My philosopy....life is too short to not enjoy a dinner out, or some yummy dessert. It's a matter of staying in control, making better choices, and continuing to work hard at it. It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet".

Having said all of this, I must confess that I sort of keep track of cheat day calories, just because I don't want to go overboard and undo all of my hard exercise and work for the past week. And sometimes I only slack off for a meal or two, not a whole day.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    btw: people who think starvation mode happens to anyone who uses a calorie restrictive diet. that isn't true. starvation mode takes severe calorie restriction for months before it begins to mess with your metabolism. in fact, despite "starvation mode" kicking in for the subjects of the minnesota starvation experiment, basically the subjects went from losing like 3 lbs a week to 2.6 lbs per week. it wasn't a huge drop (this is obviously relative, since the subjects were losing more than 3 lbs per week, but you understand with what i mean).

I think this is different for everyone. When I don't eat enough, my body freaks out on me. I've learned a lot about my own body in the last year or so. I know what it likes/doesn't like and having its food intake restricted ticks it off - and does it very quickly. So, I think every single person is different and responds differently to calorie restriction. Just like everything - you can't generalize how long it'll take for this or that to happen. We're all different.

i'm going by what the scientific evidence suggests, not by what people think will or should happen. scientific studies are a lot more reliable than non scientific opinions by random people especially on "starvation mode" and what causes it.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm having a cheat day today :) and no exercise whatsoever. It keeps me motivated. I've lost 7 pounds since joining MFP but lost 4 stone in total since August (over 50 pounds). I'm losing the last 15 pounds at the moment and weightloss is slow, and that's why I started calorie counting, as I hadn't been up til now. I had a great week this week - loads of exercise. I didn't eat all my exercise calories back, but enough to stay full and happy, but I have been looking forward to my 'saturday off' for a few days.

I can tell when it's time to take some time out so I do. :laugh:

And yes, in response to the person who said that cheat days are for closers, yup, that's me!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    It's really important that you only eat healthy foods, though. No McD splurges! Keep your sodium levels down, and keep it balanced, but eat more calories than you normally would.

This is the one thing people forget to mention! The concept of a cheat day means go ahead and up your calories in a healthy way, not binge on treats. Someone forgot to tell me that when I started here and I couldn't quite figure out what I was doing wrong :)

You have to figure out what works for you. I don't use a cheat day. That would send me into a downward spiral and also make me feel like I was depriving myself on the other days. There are enough unplanned food surprises that pop up in everyday life - and when that happens, I can choose to enjoy it and then I consider it my cheat treat. Then I won't do it again until a week or so goes by. You can also up the exercise to account for it.

I think this lifestyle is about not depriving yourself or scheduling yourself. It's about managing your options.
    Good luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    btw: people who think starvation mode happens to anyone who uses a calorie restrictive diet. that isn't true. starvation mode takes severe calorie restriction for months before it begins to mess with your metabolism. in fact, despite "starvation mode" kicking in for the subjects of the minnesota starvation experiment, basically the subjects went from losing like 3 lbs a week to 2.6 lbs per week. it wasn't a huge drop (this is obviously relative, since the subjects were losing more than 3 lbs per week, but you understand with what i mean).

I think this is different for everyone. When I don't eat enough, my body freaks out on me. I've learned a lot about my own body in the last year or so. I know what it likes/doesn't like and having its food intake restricted ticks it off - and does it very quickly. So, I think every single person is different and responds differently to calorie restriction. Just like everything - you can't generalize how long it'll take for this or that to happen. We're all different.

i'm going by what the scientific evidence suggests, not by what people think will or should happen. scientific studies are a lot more reliable than non scientific opinions by random people especially on "starvation mode" and what causes it.

Well. Scientific studies told me a month ago that salt is bad for me. Avoid it at all costs! Blah blah blah and now studies are telling me that cutting salt can raise my risk of heart disease.

There's a study out there for and against everything. I'd much rather hear from real people than a bunch of scientists.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Nope I never have a 'cheat day' I think that 'cheat' implies that it is something negative. For me this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change! I haven't changed anything that I'm not willing to stick to for the rest of my life. I don't think that it is realistic to think that I will never go out to dinner, eat a piece of cake or go out and have a few drinks again. I try to make good choices most of the time, but I also eat what I want. If I really want something I will have it, I'll just probably have less of it. I also work out a little extra if I know that I am going to be going somewhere where I know I'll probably go over my goal, but if I go over from time to time it doesn't bother me. Since this is a lifestyle change there is no 'cheating' it's just life! I personally go for 'everything in moderation' rather than limiting what I eat.
  • allanaaron
    allanaaron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is such a dangerous topic. there are real reasons most people who lose weight gain it back. In reading all the posts a few things are clear. You can treat yourself to an indulgence without cheating. It's not a matter of dieting it's a point of owning what you eat. You want a slice of pie... eat it. Count it. Own it. And there are choices within that. For at home buy a pie made with little or no sugar. Eat it slowly and enjoy. You don't HAVE TO add ice cream and whipped cream. You have th option of planning for a night out by working out a little harder. In other words don't cheat, earn it. It might be better to have the pie at the restaurant. the calorie count might be higher but you'll only have one serving. I buy lo cal desserts. I OVER indulge them. Not a great idea, does not lead to eating healthier, but it's part of my process as I slowly wean off them to more fruits. If you;re a NORMIE who has ten to thirty pounds to lose you can probably pull off anything, but if you;re a compulsive overeater who has more than thirty pounds to lose you might be playing with fire doing a cheat day. I must have had plenty 6,000 calorie days on my way to 365, I love the idea of an indulgent meal that I own, earn and count. Good luck and what a great discussion. Oh yeah, today I lost another pound to hit 299.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to omit logging on Saturday and Sunday. I trust that I'll maintain a very healthy diet, and I trust my choices on weekends, but I needed a break from logging. I need to eat a piece of birthday cake without knowing how many calories are in it! I've found that the number makes me feel guilty, and I don't want to live like that!

So, I try to adhere to my 90-10 rule. I eat really healthfully 90% of the time, and then don't feel guilty with a red velvet cupcake, or two, ice cream, or a Sapporo at sushi. I have not doubt that I will work out, and I know one day, or one meal, is not going to ruin my body. Healthful living is a learned lifestyle.

Living means enjoying life. I enjoy life guiltlessly. Trusting your food choices comes with learning the difference between healthful and unhealthful.

I absolutely believe in a cheat day. Everybody needs to live. However, after a while, you might find that the foods you eat on your cheat day aren't worth how you feel the next day. This is part of the learning curve of adopting a healthful lifestyle. For instance, feeling like crap after indulging on two red velvet cupcakes is TOTALLY worth the water retention and general gross feeling the next morning. McDonald's vanilla shake is not worth it. I'll do the cupcakes, but I won't touch the shake. However, an In 'N' Out vanilla shake is a totally different story.

OK, clearly I have a sweet tooth.

My point is that living healthfully means living to enjoy life, not deny yourself life's pleasures. Like onion rings. Make one or two cheat days, or one or two cheat meals. Not every meal. Not every day. My sister and I ask ourselves, "Is this worth it?" Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. If it isn't, it's pretty easy to walk away, and I feel better about that choice. I'd feel unhappy if I couldn't eat my cupcake. I'm fine if I never eat another potato chip.

It's a challenging concept, especially to those who are fighting addictions and eat emotionally. Good luck to all.
  • goteamwilson
    goteamwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also have a cheat meal once a week. Alot of the experts say you HAVE to reward yourself or it will be hard to keep going on a stricter diet. What got me to gain weight was eating out alot and getting things that tasted so so good, but were not really healthy for me. When I started my diet, I didn't want to think that I could NEVER have those things again, so now I can have them as a treat and not a daily thing. I don't keep track of the calories so that it is truly a "guilt free" meal. I usually have it pretty soon after my weigh in so that I have the rest of the week to make up for it in time for the next weigh in.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Benefits of a cheat day: If you know you can indulge in whatever foods you want one day of the week (or less often if you choose), it helps you resist that temptation on the other days. Totally avoiding the foods you love & crave can lead to major overindulgence at some point. Better to have a controlled cheat day than to just go beserk.

This is what I was trying to get at lol!

I also call my cheat day 'free day' because that's less negative! :)
  • herstill
    herstill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    treat day for me, eat and exercise as i should but after dinner once a week will have a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar.
    really look forward to it and it keeps me making better choices all week because i know i have that coming up. its not to much of a cheat but my downfall has always been quality rather than quantity so find it easier to leave treats during the week because I'm never all that hungry anyway so not tempted to binge or make poor choices while i have that to look forward to
  • ashers1819
    ashers1819 Posts: 160
    Options
    Personally, this site and tracking my intakes is a lifestyle not a diet. Therefore, you can't have cheat days. Not saying I never ever go over my limit though.

I believe that there are some circumstances in your life where you will need to go over your limits. I had one of those yesterday.

It was the second one in four months.

I went for a meal with my bf. It was lovely but calorific... I am not at all worried about it though.

I am doing this to maintain a positive lifestyle not to constantly restrict myself.

Today, I've worked out pretty hard and just gone back on my normal allowance.
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    I agree with most of the other posts in this thread.. I know when I first started out, I restricted myself so much that I would eventually have a total binge day (I have much better will power now though!). I would go WAY overboard and the next day feel horrible. Now I work those foods into my lifestyle. I admit, some days I work out a bit extra so I can go to McDonald's and get a $1 dbl cheeseburger because thats my weakness.. I absolutely LOVE them! Don't deprive youself TOO much, a cheat meal here and there is definately ok!

Enjoy life!

Also, there are often healthier alternatives to the "cheat" foods you might crave.. Baking cupcakes with whole wheat flour, use ground turkey or really lean beef to make a burger, on a whole wheat bun, etc. They might still be a bit high calorie, but at least have some healthier ingredients!
  • muggle311
    muggle311 Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days as this is a lifestyle not a diet per say. I do watch calories as my body does not need that much to function and I do not need to overload the liver with the stuff that is out there. I do however have a day now and then where I just eat whatever I want and not worry too much about the calories for the day. My body gains very easily so I do watch what I eat and my exercise most of the time just part of my lifestyle. The days I eat whatever actually helps me it boosts the body knowing it is not stuck at a certain amount of fuel. I also don't exercise now and then which also helps me. I want to be healthy so I eat clean 99.9% of the time every now and then I let my hair down and do whatever I want. This is for life and I have worked it out so I can eat whatever I want otherwise it would never ever work for me. It has to be my lifestyle and this is working down 70 pounds so far and this year I will hit the the goal I need to lose another 26 and I am well on my way.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week. it helps to keep me sane and keeps my body guessing
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think you've also hit an important point in your question ...
    The more our body gets into the habit of eating right and exercising, the more it wants to eat right. So even on your cheat days (as long as they aren't too often) you're likely to eat better than you used to anyway. Don't feel like you have to go overboard on your "cheat days"

I only gave myself a "cheat day" on a special occasion, like a birthday (so I could eat a little cake and ice cream) or Thanksgiving. Even moderation must be taken in moderation, right? :)
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. There are too many unexpected times during the week where I have to have foods that are not the best (company lunches, etc.). I have some in moderation, count it and move on. Also, I love my Tim Horton's. I will have a medium double double, count it in my calories and move on.

I lost 30 pounds early last year and have kept it off. I am currently working on the second 30. What is so different this time is that I am not on a diet and I refuse to deprive myself of something I really want. Mind you, that is not an excuse to eat anything. I really have to want it...I love chips but I don't grab some every time I think, "oh chips would be great right now". I have to really be craving them then I will have a few and move on. I can sustain this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

You have to do what works for you though...and only you know what that is.
  • Want2BeBetter
    Want2BeBetter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have what I think of as cheat days about once a week. They are logged though and I haven't been over my matainance calories anyway, so really they work out for me as an opportunity to eat some things that aren't quite as healthy.

So maybe I should call it a treat day as it is a fun way to add some varierty to my diet without eating junk all week.

I also work out like mad on those days, especially with strength exercises because somehow in my head I have this idea that the sugar can either turn to fat or muscle so working out real hard when I eat sugar should give me more muscle right?

Don't know if that works but while on a sugar high I go crazy with exercise so it's probably all good. Sore muscles but I don't get sugar headaches when I do this either.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Well. Scientific studies told me a month ago that salt is bad for me. Avoid it at all costs! Blah blah blah and now studies are telling me that cutting salt can raise my risk of heart disease.

There's a study out there for and against everything. I'd much rather hear from real people than a bunch of scientists.

but the "starvation mode" theory comes from the minnesota starvation experiment, so i think using that as a reference makes more sense than using anything else.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that you really don't need "cheat days" or "cheat meals". If you can't fit an ice cream cone into your caloric needs, you've got longer term issues at hand that will probably lead to yo-yo dieting. I can fit fried chicken, ice cream, chocolate bars, you name it - it's just numbers. Just means I'm replacing something clean with the "cheat food", but I'm still hitting my numbers.

Many people claim it takes 30 days to make a habit. That being said, I'd highly recommend avoiding cheat days until you're at least 30 days in to your new nutrition lifestyle.