Fitbit..please help me

Options
magsmichelle
magsmichelle Posts: 34 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
0qpgtruj23so.jpg
Ugh. Could this be correct or do you think my fitbit is buggy?

I am a nurse and am moving around the majority of my day, but 1000 extra calories??

I'm about to throw this thing in a drawer.

Replies

• magsmichelle
    Options
    I've eaten close to 1400 already and do not feel at all hungry. I have 900 calories left though.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    How many steps did you have for the day?
  • magsmichelle
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I am on my feet the majority of my shift but 1100 extra calories seems really crazy to me.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    22K steps will *definitely* earn you an extra 1000+ calories! That's about 11 miles of walking!

Trust the Fitbit - I've had mine for a year and have lost 100 lbs using it synced with MFP. Eat 50-75% of the calories back to account for some over-estimation.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I am on my feet the majority of my shift but 1100 extra calories seems really crazy to me.

Your fitbit isn't just based on exercise calories. If you are on your feet and moving you're going to need more calories than had you been planted in a chair.

What is your level set like on mfp? You may have miscalculated how active you are, and what you're seeing on fitbit is what you'd see daily with the right activity level selected.

22,000 steps is a lot though. That's over 10 miles. You need to fuel that.

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna chuck it in a drawer, send it to me! lol As a former CNA I know I moved A LOT, I'm gonna say it's pretty accurate. Track you losses and compare numbers for certainty though. That's how I fine tune my personal plan. My predictions are consistently pretty accurate doing it that way.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What activity setting do you have MFP set at?

If you have MFP set to sedentary or lightly active, and you're getting over 22K steps in a day, then YES, that absolutely is accurate (or at least as close as Fitbit's estimations can be). I have MFP set to sedentary (just because I like to see positive adjustments, lol), and 10-11K steps in a day will typically net me around 700 extra calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What does Fitbit show as your total calories burned yesterday? What's your weight loss goal? And where do you have your activity level set on MFP? (If you're a nurse on your feet all day, you are not sedentary for example.)

I've found Fitbit to be pretty realistic for me. Though while losing I also assumed it was only 90-95% accurate for total burn. So when I was officially aiming for 500/day deficit I actually liked to see 600-650. That was a buffer, or goes along with the theory of not eating all your exercise calories.
  • magsmichelle
    Options
    What does Fitbit show as your total calories burned yesterday? What's your weight loss goal? And where do you have your activity level set on MFP? (If you're a nurse on your feet all day, you are not sedentary for example.)

I've found Fitbit to be pretty realistic for me. Though while losing I also assumed it was only 90-95% accurate for total burn. So when I was officially aiming for 500/day deficit I actually liked to see 600-650. That was a buffer, or goes along with the theory of not eating all your exercise calories.

For the past two days, I have burned between 2400-2600 calories according to fitbit. I just got home and my burn as of right now is 22-something.

On my non working days, I burn 1400-1500.

I only work 3-4 days a week so I did mark myself as sedentary.

Tomorrow-Thursday I won't work and will be back to the 1400-1500 burned range.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You might want to try the TDEE method so that you spread those extra calories out over the week. You can average your burns for a week, divide by 7 and then create a deficit from that number.