Too Much Weight Loss?

Options
Hi everyone! I just joined and this is my first week working out and eating right. I did nothing extreem, besides cut sugar consuption down by 90% just added exercise and a healthy meal game plan. I lost 5.8 pounds my first week....is that normal for a first week? Seems like a bit mutch. I followed what my fitness pal said to do, I want to make sure what I am doing is healthy.....maybe it is just a first week water weight off and this is normal?? I am not complaining by any means, but it is safe to assume that I wont be dropping that kind of weight each week, right? It should be no more than 2 pounds each week.....Any thoughts?

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't remember exactly how much I lost the first week, but it was more than any other week. I think that people lose a lot of water weight the first week.
  • gin_fb33
    Options
    Water weight (in my experience) comes off really fast, so it's probably just that. If you feel lethargic or weak/sick, then I would probably see a doctor. But if you feel fine but are concerned, just keep an eye on it. It'll slow down.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what gin said, its typical to lose water weight the first few weeks and then it slows.
    Also no indication of the size of your deficit, how much exercise, how many calories consumed, what your maintenance is etc.

Just take it and keep going.
  • Gloww33
    Gloww33 Posts: 12
    Options
    I feel so amazing, I have lots of energy....I was just alarmed by how much I lost the first week and wanted to see if others had the same thing happen. Looks like it does! :)
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Same happened to me! :) I lost just shy of 4lbs in the first week and have lost .5-1lb a week since. I attributed it to water weight. Keep an eye on it and keep kicking butt! :D
  • Gloww33
    Gloww33 Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow, WAY TO GO!! :)
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 6lbs in 6 days. Its mostly water-weight (and possibly an emptier than usual bowel). I don't expect that rate of weight loss to continue but it is a nice motivator to jumpstart your progress :) I'll be happy losing 1-2lbs a week from this point forward.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I lost almost 1lb a day for the first month without even trying! Appreciate it whilst it's easy, I've gotten to a 60lbs loss and every single pound that now comes off is hard work!
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    [

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Gloww33 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I just joined and this is my first week working out and eating right. I did nothing extreem, besides cut sugar consuption down by 90% just added exercise and a healthy meal game plan. I lost 5.8 pounds my first week....is that normal for a first week? Seems like a bit mutch. I followed what my fitness pal said to do, I want to make sure what I am doing is healthy.....maybe it is just a first week water weight off and this is normal?? I am not complaining by any means, but it is safe to assume that I wont be dropping that kind of weight each week, right? It should be no more than 2 pounds each week.....Any thoughts?

Congrats on your first week. And as you guessed and others confirmed, much of that was probably water weight.

Water fluctuations can really play hell with scale weight. And if you did just start working out, too, just be prepared to stall out even though you are sticking to your plan. When you start working out more and more vigorously, your body will retain more water to assist in muscle repair.

So - just a word of caution that many, many people see a very quick drop when going on calorie restriction (especially if they are noticeably reducing the amount of carbs in their diets, as you seem to have done by limiting sugar intake); and many, many of those that suddenly start a workout regime can't seem to get the scale to budge for a few weeks later (because unbeknownst to them, the are retaining more water to help repair muscles).

• nfelts5
    nfelts5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gloww33 wrote: »
    I feel so amazing, I have lots of energy....I was just alarmed by how much I lost the first week and wanted to see if others had the same thing happen. Looks like it does! :)

I hear you! The sugar is, in my opinion, probably what the main difference is. Sugar is so killer!