Big man, bigger appetite

Options
Hi everybody,
I'm new to MFP. I'm 6'1'' and 280 lbs. I have lost 10 on my own, but I am really struggling with food and staying full. Looking for friends, support, and any advice.
Thanks!

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, and the forums specifically! What is it about food in particular that you're struggling with?

As for the staying full, if you go into your settings and make your diary public we can help with that. In all likelihood you need to eat more protein and fat.
  • Richardlaing1
    Richardlaing1 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just suggest you avoid the foods that trigger hunger. For example if I eat high glycemic foods it makes me hungry. Avoid sugar and simple white carbs. I eat mainly plant based and it does allow a huge volume of food. On the other hand high calorie dense foods do not give me the volume to fill me up. It is not as bad as it used to be for me now that I broke the addiction to sugar and fat. There is a lot of good info on YouTube regarding eating styles and the good and bad of different diets. I did High fat & super low carb to get me in the groove and into ketosis for about 3 months. That broke the addictions. I don't think that is as healthy as plant based but makes it easier to comply to a diet without constant hunger.
  • JimS2014
    JimS2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey man, we are about the same size. I'm 6'2". 280, and like you, I have the appetite of a horse.

Here's what works for me.
    Eat a decent breakfast
    Mid-morning, Casein Protein shake with a tblspn of Psyllium Husk.
    Regular lunch
    Post workout, Whey Protein Shake with a tblspn of Psyllium Husk.
    Dinner
    Some fruit for a snack about 8 PM
    Right before bed, another Casein Protein shake with another tblspn of Psyllium Husk.

That, and lots of water through the day, and some green tea with dinner.

I try to stay under 2100 calories per day. Since mid October, I'm down from 304.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You're not really supposed to feel 'full'. If you reach that point when eating, then you've most likely over ate. You just need to eat enough. High fiber and protein foods will help you feel more satisfied on less, though.
  • mistere627
    mistere627 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I cook healthier and pick healthier snacks... that way I can eat more and I eat pretty much throughout the day whenever the urges arise. I'm a big eater too.

Also, if you're a few days in... your stomach will start to shrink as you eat less and you'll feel fuller faster if you're picking the right kinds of foods.